“History and elegant detail”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 156 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Saratoga Springs, New York
“History and elegant detail”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I don't think that anyone can enter this hotel without a sharp intake of breath. It, without a doubt, has one of the most beautiful lobbies I have ever seen. A gorgeous atrium area soars high to a bright stained glass ceiling, with intricate wrought iron enveloping every open floor level along the way. A lovely tea room occupies the center of the lobby, live music filters through the air, and details of great craftsmanship are seen everywhere. History permeates the place. Our bedroom, a basic king, was very nice. High ceilings, a small updated bathroom, a desk, flat screened TV, and small table and chairs make the room quite comfortable. The bed and the rain shower in the bathroom were especially good. The hotel's service was excellent all around, and our visits to the cigar bar, the Ship Tavern for lunches, and the Ellyngton restaurant (for breakfast), even a salon purchase, all were positive experiences. All around, an outstanding place to stay in Denver.

The only negative I found in this hotel was the location of the bathroom in our particular room (Room 528). It opened to the bedroom right at the bed, and a slatted wooden double door separated the two. It did not afford much privacy, and as this older building has only a passive exhaust system (no fan), some people might find it... indelicate.

Oh, and WIFI will put you back a couple bucks (about $13) each day. Silly, really, in this day and age. However, I suspect that most of the people who stay here don't mind.

Again, this was a wonderful hotel experience. A beautiful, elegant treat. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved the spa - really first rate. Loved the tea- what a treat.

Clearly a premier property full of history, with a well trained and accomodating staff. If there is a negative, it is that this world class hotel is not in a world class location - its downtown Denver, which I did not find that I loved. While there is shopping nearby, it is not what I would have wanted.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms are from a time when some had kitchens. Take the historical tour of the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hiroshima, Japan
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night and it was spectacular! The room was without equal and the staff was very attentive and welcoming. It is an amazing experience and I cannot wait to come here again. Breakfast was good and the small pub attached to the hotel had great food and great service. I would recommend this to anyone for any occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our second time at the Brown Palace. You feel like you are stepping back in time. The wonderful piano music greets you as you enter and capture the beauty and elegance of the lobby. You can feel the turn of the century and early Denver in the rooms, lobby and lounge. It is delightful. The room and bath are well appointed, and bed was cozy. You can walk easily through all downtown from here,or catch the downtown trolley just a block over, and we walked to the Baseball stadium and back for a game. A lovely splurge in Denver.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Ida was wonderful, she gave a great full body massage! My 50 minute facial was overpriced for what I got! Not enough attention to my face during the alloted time for what I paid and got roped into a $60 peel which was most the facial and an additional fee.

• Stayed July 2013
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
It will give us great pleasure to share your glowing remarks with Ida regarding her service during your recent visit to our Spa. We are sorry to read, however, that your facial treatment held certain disappointments for you. We do strive to provide all of our guests with experiences that exceed their expectations and are worth the value.

We would be most grateful for any additional feedback you would be willing to offer on how we could have made this experience more memorable for you. Please do not hesitate to contact Erin Johnston, Spa Director, at ejohnston@brownpalace.com at your convenience.

We hope you will consider a return visit to allow us to provide you with the experience you should have initially received.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here during my birthday weekend. I mentioned it to the front desk and they were nice enough to accomodate my request for a complimentary room upgrade as a marriott gold member. While unpacking, room service surprised me with almond macarons (lovely) and chilled evian water with a bday note from the concierge. Perfect for a warm summer day. It was our first time in Denver. The concierge gave us a good tip to visit the look out points at Chatauqua park and visit boulder's Pearl St. We loved it. We want to move to Boulder!
This hotel is full of history I had to google it to find out more about it. I wish they had historical fact sheets in the room (or maybe they did I just didn't notice). I love the lobby and I loved watching the ladies do their tea. It brings you back in time...

Room Tip: I didn't experience any noise even though my room was next to the elevator. I heard rm 629 is ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Brown Palace exudes history - very interesting architecture and lobby area, very much the "old-school" luxury through and through. Rooms are great, relatively spacious, and beds are good. I would say that the furniture in the rooms needs a refresh - some pretty old chairs, tables, etc. and limited outlets for electronic devices. Staff is very friendly, and on balance, would highly recommend a stay here, especially as rates, as business hotels go, are pretty reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business