“A Taste of History”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our stay at the Brown Palace Hotel and Spa in Denver was a delight and pet friendly. The rooms were acceptable, the cuisine and spirits were very good. The servers, bell hops, front desk, concierge and doormen were all dashing, the spa invigorating however, the elegant 19th century architecture and majestic noon Tea fulfilled our first class expectation. Tea, a lavish touch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that the Afternoon Tea and hotel architecture were particularly memorable.

We will be awaiting your return!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I loved staying at the Brown Palace, and the price was comparable to others in downtown Denver. If ever given the choice, I would select the Brown Palace for its grand architecture and plush interior. The room was beautiful and had everything I needed. I was there for two nights. I also enjoyed the hotel bar for dinner.
Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

We are so pleased to read that your last visit with us was comfortable and worth the value. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My experience with Shai A. On May 9, 2013 exceeded my expectations. She listened to me and my needs, and addressed them during the facial. I left feeling calmer and more relaxed. Shai offers a very nurturing atmosphere. I was also impressed with the attention of salon personnel and the facilities offered. Everyone at the Brown, from parking valets to lobby personnel, were very helpful and polite. I highly recommend this spa experience to everyone who needs a "time out" from the stresses of regular life.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susan B
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

It gave us great pleasure to receive your generous comments pertaining to your recent Spa experience, and in regards to Shai's personalized and genuine service in particular. She will be most pleased to receive your kind words and to know that she had helped ensure your treatment was truly relaxing.

We are delighted to read that you had enjoyed every facet of your visit with us and hope you will not allow too much time to pass before visiting us again!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Okay--I did not stay at this hotel but went there to see it because I had read the book "Murder At the Brown Palace", a true story.

This is an elegant hotel and I want people to know how welcomed I was as a visitor who just wanted to look around. My daughter and I stopped off from an extensive road trip and we were not appearing at all elegant, although I did have on expensive cowboy boots and beaded jacket (ha). I was welcomed by all staff and one gentleman offered me a walking tour brochure of the hotel. I told him that I would be back to stay there when I saw the nightly rate drop to about $250 (it was $359 the date that I stopped in). He was so genial and told me to look into visiting on a weekend.

The front desk staff were welcoming too, directing me to the ship-themed bar where my daughter and I had a drink.

I purchased a book "Ladies of the Brown" in the adjacent sundries/gift shop and the staff there were lovely as well. Long-story short---nothing pretentious about this hotel even though it would appear to be so!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Foamergirl
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

We are delighted to know that you and your daugther were welcomed so warmly by our staff when you recently popped into The Brown Palace.

We're also glad to read that you had purchased a copy of "Ladies of The Brown", which is a great way to learn about the influential women who have visited and shaped our colorful history.

We hope you are inclined to visit us more often!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was excited to experience the gorgeous lobby of this historic building downtown when family was here to visit. We participated in the afternoon tea and were immediately seated next to the piano player. The hostess left us to ourselves to make our selections and the food was beautifully presented. However, what we were truly paying for was the experience. Our server gave us plenty of space, only coming by to check on our tea pots to make sure we had enough hot tea. They only kept checking one of the three, so my pot grew cold in not being refilled with hot water as frequently. The area is pretty and is a good spot for people watching. Be prepared for $38-51 per person for the experience and although the food was decent, it wasn't extraordinary.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kcroswaite
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

We are grateful for your patronage and are delighted to know that you had entertained family recently during Afternoon Tea.

Although we are pleased to read that your visit with us was enjoyable overall, we are concerned that your experience was not particularly impressive based on your comments.

We would be most appreciative of any additional information you are willing to offer on how we could have made your Afternoon Tea experience with us exceptional. We continuously strive for excellence in service and the feedback we receive from our guests helps us to achieve this goal. Please feel free to contact our Director of Restaurants, Thomas Gutmann, at tgutmann@brownpalace.com at your convenience.

We hope you will consider returning in the future and allowing us an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I spent in this hotel 5 nights on a business trip. The hotel lobby is absolutely gorgeous, and never seized to amaze me every day I entered the hotel. My room was however quite mediocre, with a constant buzzing noise at night. Overall, I didn't find the service that great, particularly housekeeping, starting with the fact that there was an ironing board in the middle of the room when I first entered.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bulka56
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

We are pleased to know that you were impressed with the architecture and decor of our Atrium Lobby, however, we are disappointed to read that your room accommodation was not what you were anticipating.

Please be advised that we do offer several various layouts and room configurations within each of our room categories, and our team would be more than happy to assist you with selecting the room you would be most comfortable in.

I also would like to apologize for any service oversight by our Housekeeping staff. The lapse in service you experienced is not in keeping with our high level of standards, and I have alerted our management team so we may be able to follow up internally.

Thank you for your time in expressing your comments and please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we could have done to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed almost everything about the Brown Palace. Our room and the public spaces, including the beautiful lobby and the Churchill lounge, are well appointed and the staff is very professional. Unfortunately, we woke one morning to hear what sounded like a large dog, barking and howling. It had apparently been locked in a guest room a few doors down the hallway. The racket went on for a half hour or more. The Brown Palace suddenly had taken on the ambiance of an animal shelter! I was shocked to discover that dogs are allowed in any room at the Brown Palace. This means that it is a roll of the dice whether a stay will be quiet and restful...or something else. At the very least, those who choose to bring an animal with them on their vacation and their dogs should be segregated in their own section of the building so the rest of us can enjoy the experience we were expecting.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike V
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Although we are pleased to know that you and your wife had enjoyed almost every aspect of your recent stay with us, we are truly disheartened to learn that your visit was adversely impacted by the actions of another guest.

I can assure you that the unfortunate situation you encountered was an isolated incident, which regrettably was delayed by the efforts of attempting to locate the pet's owner. For those guests who do travel with pets, we do have them acknowledge and sign a waiver indicating their pet will not be a disturbance to other guests and will be supervised at all times. We are truly sorry that these guidelines were not adhered to in this particular situation.

We do hope you will consider a return visit so we may be able to provide you with the peaceful respite that all of our guests deserve and should receive. Please contact our Rooms Division Manager, Ryan Pratt, at rpratt@brownpalace.com when you are returning so we may be able to personally handle your reservation.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon!