The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersGold level
South Carolina
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

The reputation of the Brown Palace is exceptional, so it's hard to live up to the legend. The Brown Palace is indeed everything it purports to be. It has the convenience of a chain (Marriott), but the charm and service of years gone by when traveling was much more glamorous.

Given that it is an older structure, it is built solid and therefore quiet. The service, food, atmosphere, and everything else are impeccable. If you shop carefully, the prices are quite reasonable for what you get and the convenience of downtown Denver. I had the chance to chat with a long-time housekeeper (Mary) who told me about the history of the hotel. It seems that the property manager lives in the hotel and is 'in the trenches' with the staff quite often. That's old-school true leadership, and it shows.

I didn't have the chance to visit the spa, but I can't imagine it being less than stellar.

I will never stay anywhere else in Denver.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at our unique and historical luxury destination and are grateful for your time in sharing your experience.

We believe the most important component of our foundation is our associates, the ones in front with our guests, as well as, the staff behind the scenes. We're happy to know one of our more long-term team members, Mary, was able to share some of our cherished history with you. It gave me great pleasure to share your kind remarks with her.

We hope you will have a chance to visit us again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Love this place - have stayed here many times. Each room is different. I prefer the larger king size (not queen). Beds are comfy and the rooms are quite. Amazing lobby and "tea". Live music in the main area each day - great to enjoy a coffee, formal "tea", or drink. Shipwreck tavern is nice for a drink or lunch. Ellyngon's is good for lunch (have not had dinner there).

Room Tip: i recommend upgrading from the queen/small rooms which are quite small. Some rooms are oddly shaped...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are truly grateful for your loyal patronage and are pleased to know you have enjoyed all of your visits with us.

Thank you for your generous remarks regarding the rooms, bedding, entertainment and dining venues. We hope to provide you with many more memorable stays in the future!
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I last visited Brown Palace about 15 years ago and was impressed with it then and nothing has changed .. They now have Wi Fi of course but the hotel still has that great old charm , friendly staff and Great HI Tea ... My wife also enjoyed the spa with our friends and said it was first class. The doorman ( Le Roy ) is your first encounter and he beams with a big smile as he welcomes you to his hotel .. You really do feel like you are enjoying coming to a friends home , all be it a 5 star home .
The afternoon tea was also quite special , but make sure you book or there could be quite a wait.
All in all a great hotel with real old world charm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath .. The room is a bit bigger .
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
We are very happy to know that everything you enjoyed and appreciated about The Brown Palace during your visit 15 years ago still remains today, albeit with a few modern enhancements along the way.

Thank you for recognizing the excellent service from the staff, and from our Spa in particular. We appreciate your continued patronage and LeRoy and his megawatt smile will be awaiting your return!
Superior, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I work at a hotel for a living. I decided to take a 1 day vacation just to get away and let someone else do all the work for me, like I usually do for them. I thought about doing the Ritz-Carlton about 3 blocks away, but I couldn't get a company discount there because it's somewhat of a separate company, but still under the Marriott brand.

Regardless...I went with the Brown Palace for my price point. Now realistically, theres less than $100/nt between the two, and at over $200 the Brown Palace is not cheap and the extra for the Ritz would be irrelevant for most staying here.

If you have -plenty- of money to spend, the Brown Palace is a fine place to stay. If you are looking for a fun night out with the strapped budget you have, splurge for the Ritz, it'll be better worth your money.

I spent $50 on room service (which was expected) on a Burger, Bread Pudding and a Guinness. The presentation was fantastic, but the Bread Pudding was a total let down and the Burger was...good.

The internet (again, expected) was $10.95. Being an old building, there were no outlets to plug in my laptop. I finally found a surge protector under the TV stand. And the office chair was not comfortable.

The BIGGEST letdown of the night was, horribly, the bed. It was unbelievably hard. It was the worst nights sleep I've had in years.

Now I can't say the lobby isn't magnificent, because it is. I did that awkward walk forward while staring up at the chandelier covered in decorations, while a bellman directed me toward Registration.

I just feel like, if you have money to waste, this was a really fun experience. If it's all the money you have because you want to feel good for a night, it's terrible. I know I could've got a way nicer room at the Ritz-Carlton with service to match. And even with a near 75% discount, I still spent $185.

Would I come back? Maybe. Will I try the Ritz? Definitely.

Room Tip: I was in 601, nearly in the corner of the building. No issues with sound of neighbors. I did hear th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to express your feedback.

We are glad to know that as a fellow member of the hospitality industry that you had an opportunity to stay with us recently. I appreciate your sharing your concerns regarding the overall pricing at the Hotel. As a luxury hotel in downtown Denver, our pricing is benchmarked against other luxury properties within our vicinity and we carefully monitor to ensure that this remains either at or below our competitors. We strive to offer all of our guests a truly unique and memorable stay and I deeply regret if we had failed to provide you with an experience that you felt was worth the value.

I am also sorry to learn that you found your bed to be uncomfortable. If we do have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, our Front Desk team would be happy to visit alternative bedding options with you to ensure your comfort. Please also accept my apologies for the poor food quality of your bread pudding, which I will be sharing with our culinary team for review.

Again, we are grateful for your critique and appreciate your service to the industry!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Marriott hotel chain recently launched its autograph collection of hotels, one of which is the Brown Palace. This collection of hotels offers a variety of unique (usually older) hotels, many of which are icons in their own city. The Brown Palace (no relation to Molly Brown) is one such hotel. It has been in continuous operation since 1892. The renovation (and I did not see the hotel before these were done) seems to have lovingly updated the hotel and its lobby and restaurants without destroying the architectural details. There are tours of the hotel (free to guests) twice a week. I wish I had had the opportunity to take one, maybe next time. I did utilize the brochure in the room which described the original hotel and the changes made.

The large central atrium of the hotel which looks up at stained glass is surrounded by the original wrought iron balconies. The effect with the Christmas decorations in the center was enchanting. This is the area where they have afternoon tea which they say is an old tradition for the Brown.

I was given a lovely room at the top of the hotel (Top of the Brown rooms) which was large and comfortable. The "city view" is nothing to write home about, but then I did not come for the exterior views. The bathroom featured both a magnificent deep tub fit for soaking weary bones and a shower. I did have to call for service for the toilet which seemed to drain poorly--stopped up, poor water pressure?????

There are a variety of restaurants, each with a distinctive decor. See the Napoleonic memorabilia in one and the lovely collection of old clipper ship models in the Ship's Tavern. I was there with my youngish grandchildren and we did not go to the gourmet restaurant. Maybe next time.

I note that another reviewer had poor service at the Ship's Tavern--which is not the hotel's gournet restaurant but rather a casual and reasonably priced restaurant. This is probably why it is so busy. The service was on the slow side--although we did get bread quickly enough and water kept coming. It was the food itself that was slow. My grand daughter raved about the hamburger and I helped myself to one of her fantastic onion rings. My grandson said that his rueben's was only so-so. Everybody else was pleased and put their food in the above average range, especially given that it was not terribly expensive for an urban restaurant in an expensive hotel.

There does not seem to be a fitness room or swimming pool which might matter if you were traveling with small children or had a fitness routine you did not wish to interrupt. Nor do I think that there is a concierge lounge, or if there is, no one mentioned it to me.

On the whole, I would say that this is a truly extraordinary hotel and worth a visit. It can be quite expensive, but there are deals available. Check AAA prices and senior deals if you qualify.

Room Tip: I only saw the Top of the Brown rooms but they are large with great bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Texastravveler
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
It gave us great delight to read the detailed recount of your stay, and moreover, to know that your experience with in general was "exceptional".

We are particularly grateful that you took the time to learn about the history of this beautiful landmark in Denver and are pleased to know you appreciated the modern enhancements that retained the original architecture and details of the building.

We are also glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your dining experiences with us, however, I would like to apologize if you did encounter a delay with receiving your food at Ship Tavern. I have shared this information with our Restaurant Manager so he may be able to review with our team.

We hope you will visit us again very soon and possibly have the opportunity to enjoy an exquisite dining experience at Palace Arms or an insightful guided historical tour.
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my first time staying at the Brown Palace and I must say it is an experience to savor. I had enjoyed a fabulous and lavish sunday brunch last year and did not notice the hotels splendor as I paid more attention to the abundance of food. Initially I thought it was a bit stuffy, but was enamored by the tea parties and the old british charm of the lobby. So as I decided to come to Denver for a last minute trip, I thought I should explore this historical hotel further. The staff was very friendly upon arrival, and I felt like I entered a different world. It is regal, a bit pompous (but in a good way), and, as the name states, very brown. The pictures on the hotel website do the place justice, and the rooms are just as charming as the lobby. I suggest staying on a higher floor as the lobby is in the center of all the rooms that wrap around it, all with a beautiful balcony on each floor overlooking the floor. I ordered room service and the service was impeccable, including a very courteous staff member and nice presentation along with a rose.

If you want a hip, trendy, modern vibe this is not the place for you. But if you want to try something different, sip on martini's and enjoy a bit of luxury give this hotel a shot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are delighted to know that your first overnight experience with us was truly memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the courteous and prompt service you received from our staff and the several aspects from your visit that you felt were particularly unique. We are proud to be able to offer all of our guests an unexpected experience in a historical environment with first-class service and amenities.

We hope your next stop in Denver will include us once again!
Rockford, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Built in 1892, this building has many great qualities. The rooms are large, nicely furnished. Short walk to 16th Street Mall with shuttle buses taking you up and down the pedestrian mall. Or walk, always interesting people on the mall. The hotel has a huge atrium. They have tours on Wed and Sat at 3 p.m. I did not have time to take the tour. There is a nice write up on the history in the guest services book in each room.

I did have problems with getting hot water on the 9th (top) floor. The water had to run a long time.

Lots of detail in hotel to inspect, great antiques, make sure to stop and inspect the Ship's Tavern.

This hotel provides a unique experience back to the "gilded" age.

Room Tip: Go with upper floor rooms to get away from atrium noise and catch a view of Denver.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

We're very happy to know that you enjoyed your visit overall and several aspects of our history and eclectic collection of artifacts and antiques. We do hope you will be able to join us again and have the opportunity to participate in a guided tour. It is a great way to learn more about our colorful history and hear fun anecdotes from our own in-house historian.