“Outstanding Hotel”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 159 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The service at the hotel was excellent, but the Concierge, Abigail Jones, was beyond outstanding! We booked a 3 night stay as a short second honeymoon. Our first night we were too tired to explore and eat out so we asked Abigail for the name of a good pizza joint that delivered to the hotel. Instead of directing us to some local chain or other unextraordinary place as so many Concierges do when I ask for recommendations, she recommended a restaurant that was spot-on excellent. She also recommended we get a bottle of wine at a nice wine store nearby. When the pizza arrived, she noticed that they had given us paper plates, and set off immediately to get us china and wine glasses. The personal attention to detail and to us made our stay. The car Valets were also wonderful. We'd call down for our car and it was always outside waiting for us no matter how little time we gave them. The rest of the staff was equally as responsive. It is my new favorite hotel in Denver, and a place we will return to over and over again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We want to thank you for taking the time to highlight the exceptional service you received from Abigail Jones during your recent stay. She will be very pleased to know that her intuitive service and attention to detail had ensured a most memorable visit for you.

We're also happy to know that the service you received from the rest of our staff was equally impressive and we are honored to be your hotel of choice in Denver. We will be anticipating your return in the near future!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We decided to stay our wedding night at the Brown Palace and my husband made a room reservation months in advance. Although our room was clean and spacious, we were disappointed in the customer service upon entering the hotel and throughout our stay. We had to walk around the lobby of the hotel (in our bride/groom attire of course) just trying to find the elevators to get to our room without a single staff member offering a hello or guidance. We finally had to ask another couple if they could help us out. Although the hotel knew it was our wedding night, there was nothing special about our room. Just a bottle of cheap champagne would have been a fabulous gesture towards newlyweds. We were told we would be 'taken care of' and I feel like we just stayed a night at the Marriott. Also, the shower in our room was extrememly clogged up and you couldnt be in the shower for more than a minute before the water was up to your ankles. I was just expecting more from the well known Brown Palace.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

We are honored you chose The Brown Palace to celebrate your wedding night and would like to extend our warmest congratulations to you!

I do regret, however, that we failed to recognize your very special occasion during your stay. Significant events, such as weddings, honeymoons, birthdays and anniversaries are very important to us and we strive to ensure all of these occassions are made truly memorable for our guests. We are truly sorry for the missed opportunity, the difficutly in locating the elevator and the issue you encountered with the drain in your guest room. I will be reviewing your comments with our management team so we may be able to take the necessary corrective actions.

Please contact Ryan Pratt, Rooms Manager, at rpratt@brownpalace.com when you are considering a return visit so we may personally assist you with your arrangements.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was here for two nights for a conference. I needed a small eyeglass screwdriver early one morning and the front desk person got someone from engineering to bring one up in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't sound like much but plenty of other hotels would have blown the request off or simply said "We don't have one, sorry." Rooms are also well done and wifi was good. I would definitely stay here again if I were in Denver.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

It gave us great pleasure to learn that members of our staff had exceeded your expectations during your recent stay. We have recognized the individuals involved and appreciate you bringing their exemplary service to our attention.

We hope we will see you again soon at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We spent the night of Sept. 21 here and were extremely dissatisfied. Our room wasn't clean. There was a used Q-tip on the bathroom floor, a pin on the bedroom floor and someone else's book in the night table. There also was a wet patch on the carpet, and a strange chemical smell that was so unpleasant I couldn't sleep. (Maybe they'd shampooed a stain on the carpet?) Other gripes: lumpy pillows, the shower door opens in such a way that it's impossible to adjust the water temp without standing under the stream, $20 hamburgers (onions are extra), and the bellhop wasn't available at 6 a.m. when I had to get my items from storage. I finally had to get the front desk to open their closet. When I complained to the manager about the problems, it was like playing Let's Make a Deal. "Would you like offer No. 1 ($20 off) or offer No. 2 ($50 off) which is all they would do to compensate me for the $200 I wasted on the room. We live in Colorado and visit Denver often. I've enjoyed tea here, but for the night, the Monaco offers free coffee and tea in the morning (and a happy hour drink), and Teatro offers far better service and level of comfort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your willingness to share your concerns regarding your recent stay at The Brown Palace. Your feedback is most appreciated and provides us with the opportunity to improve our services and avoid a similar occurrence.

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for your room not being adequately prepared for you prior to your arrival, as well as for the delay of service when attempting to retrieve your stored items early one morning. The issues you encountered do not adhere to the level of service we wish to provide and we regret that your stay with us was tarnished because of this.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed Afternoon Tea with us in the past and hopefully realize that these missteps are not typical for our hotel. I understand one of our Front Office managers has been in contact with you to try to make amends. We hope we can restore your faith in us in the future!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

To whom it may concern-I recently spent two nights at your hotel, September 8-10. I was very disappointed with our room. I did extensive research and decided that my wife and I would have a second honeymoon at the Brown Palace. Here is what I thought I was getting as per your website:

Signature room. A king or two queen beds with plush bedding, a rich wood armoire, a walk-in closet—this spacious room with high ceilings invites you to spread out and relax. Marvel at the expansive bathroom featuring double marble sinks, a makeup mirror, and a deluxe corner glass shower with rain showerhead. With a flat-screen HDTV, iPod docking station, WiFi and personal Keurig coffee maker

Room 739 does not have the "double marble sinks, deluxe corner glass shower with rainhead or walk in closet" as your website stated above. Very disappointed with this, this is not the room your site suggests and not what I reserved.

Other items that were not there. Only had one robe instead of two for the guests. Exhaust fan in bathroom didn't work.

I would expect for the money we would have had a better stay. Spent $700 on the room and another $700 on food, wifi, parking and the spa. Don't feel I got my $1,400 worth of this place. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Jason B,

We pride ourselves on providing all of our guests with a first-class experience from the moment they arrive at the hotel. Therefore, we are truly concerned and disappointed when we fail to deliver the experience our guests are anticipating and fully deserve.

I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room accommodation and will be sharing your comments with our Marketing team to ensure all of our room descriptions are consistent. It was also disconcerting to learn that you had received only one robe in your room and that your exhaust fan was not working properly. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can correct the concerns; we regret the impact this had on your overall stay with us.

If you are willing to provide additional information regarding your stay or if we can be of any assistance, please contact Ryan Pratt at rpratt@brownpalace.com. We hope we will have an opportunity to regain your confidence in the future!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've stayed at the Brown Palace multiple times for conferences and have never had anything to complain about. It is an old building, so the rooms can be a bit small, but just staying here the staff makes you feel important and respected. You can feel the history of Denver in this hotel, knowing that Molly Brown stayed here and must have enjoyed a drink or in the beautiful, towering lobby.

If you have the time to bring friends for High Tea, well it is quite a marvelous experience. There are few places in Colorado that offer a proper tea service and this is one of the top.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

We are very happy to know you enjoyed our authentic Afternoon Tea experience complete with Devonshire cream shipped directly from England! We're also glad to read that you were able to take in some Brown Palace history during your stay.

We are honored to have been the chosen destination for many famous celebrities and government figures through the years. We are pleased to be able to share some of these fascinating stories during our guided Historical Tour.

We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a beautiful historic hotel in downtown Denver that also has modern amenities. The rooms were nicely appointed, beds were comfortable, staff was very courteous. We had dinner in the Tavern which was excellent although a little pricey. Did not take advantage of the spa but am planning on taking the girlfriends back for a spa weekend so will try it out then.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

We are so glad to read you that you had a most enjoyable stay with us recently.

We truly hope you will have the opportunity to return to take advantage of the many pampering treatments we offer at the Spa....perfect for a girls' weekend getaway!