“Incredible experience from beginning to end!!”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is a beautiful Victorian hotel! The atrium and restaurants are beautiful and you feel like you are stepping back in time! Everything about this place is classy!

We stayed here for my birthday and it was perfect! Our first night was upgraded to a palace king room from a classic queen. It was really spacious and very comfortable, we had a breakfast package and opted for room service which was really good! The room was beautiful and the bathroom very luxurious, a deep soaking tub and great fixtures.

The Ship tavern has a nice ambience and is known for it's fish and chips, they were pretty good -the clam chowder is superb!!

Second night-Beatles suite!!! The suite was huge-with an entry/foyer, kithenette type area, large living room, office in the corner with desk, phone and chairs and a large bedroom with dressing area and vanity. The suite has a large tub and seperate shower area. Views from the suite were great !

We had room service a second time with an assortment of football food for the Super Bowl!! Pizza was surprisingly good and don't forget the creme brulee! The service was excellent and very efficient!!

The hotel is pet friendly so we brought our dog, they brought him his own bowls and a special bed!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

We are honored you chose The Brown Palace to celebrate your birthday and are delighted to know your experience was memorable!

I am very glad to read you enjoyed your room accommodations, especially the time you spent in our luxurious and spacious Beatles Suite, which pays homage to the unforgettable English rock band. It also gives me great pleasure to learn that your experience at Ship Tavern was enjoyable and that our Room Service team did not disappoint during your Super Bowl celebration.

It would be a pleasure to welcome all of you back very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,790)

Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in October last year.

Valet parking was friendly and efficient ( although a tad pricey at $28 per night).

The atrium/foyer area is an amazing tribute to a bygone era of elegance and style. Wonderful.
Our room was large and comfortable. We had an excellent dinner in the Ship Inn.

Location is perfect for exploring downtown. The staff are very well trained, helpful and friendly.
I asked the concierge to recommend the best bookshop in town and she recommended the Tattered Cover Book Store which was so good I bought five books.

After dinner one night we checked out Churchill's the cigar bar in the hotel. It was busy and the cigar aroma was getting a little strong so we asked if we could have our drinks in the atrium outside. No problem. So we had our Grand Marnier's and coffee in the beautiful atrium. Excellent service helped to make this one of the highlights of our stay.

This was our first visit to Denver and we found it be a lovely, lively and friendly city. We hope to return one day.

The Brown Palace is a high quality hotel with high quality staff. Strongly recommended for a memorable stay in Denver.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lochiel
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My hubby and I stayed at The Brown for our anniversary this past weekend. It was great, as usual. Excellent service, and even a surprise for us when we arrived back from our night out. They had turned down our bed, left chocolates, and had queued up a live classical concert taking place at Boettcher Hall that evening. It certainly surprised us, and made the environment more romantic.

We have loved The Brown each time we've stayed. One thing that has changed is the dress policy. Previously, there had been quite high standards, which emphasize the elegance of the hotel. On this stay; however, I noticed that the policy had changed to "smart casual"...which was unimpressive. Many other guests looked like they had just rolled out of bed, or were scarcely dressed. In my opinion, the elegance and ambiance of a hotel with a price tag such as The Brown deserves to have reverent guests that enhance the hotel, not take away from its beauty with unkempt clothing. We both wished they would go back to the previous dress policy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Brown Palace is a grand old hotel w/ incredible architecture, excellent staff & good location. Price is high but a good place to stay for a special ocassion.

Room Tip: Get a high-level room away from traffic-side of hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

We truly appreciate your generous remarks regarding the service you received from our staff, the architecture of the hotel and our convenient location in downtown Denver.

I understand from your review that you also had some concerns regarding the overall pricing at the hotel. All aspects of our pricing, including rooms, restaurants and Spa are benchmarked against similar luxury hotels in the Denver area. Please be advised that there are periods of the year that may be slower at the hotel in which we would offer special promotions and rates. Please feel free to contact our Reservations Department at (303) 297-3111 and they would be happy to discuss our current promotions with you.

We look forward to the privilege of serving you again in the future!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I got to stay and eat at the Brown Palace last weekend and it was the best! The staff were so friendly I didn't want to leave there. We got to enjoy the Sunday Brunch and it was excellent! The beds were also so comfy I didn't wake up all night!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were planning to walk from the Denver art Museum to the hotel. Staff said it was 10 minutes. Unfortunately there was a Cinco de Mayo fest that completely blocked off the area we had to cross to get to the other side where the hotel was. We called the hotel 4 times to get walking instructions to circumnavigate the closed off area but they were simply not able to help.We finally found a fair official who gave us instructions.

The 10 minutes turned into 40 minutes. I do believe they were even annoyed that we arrived late for our reservation, although the tea area wasn't the least bit crowded. We wouldnt have needed a reservation. Of course it didnt occur to them to advise us about the festival situation when we told them we would be walking. I'm getting really angry just writing this!

It was really hot & muggy out. Personally I was disgusted with the idiotic lack of training of the hotel staff. I was dreading the continuation of abysmal service once we got there, & i was right.

By the time we got to the hotel, after several false starts, we were exhausted, hot & pissed.

They wanted to seat us in an isolated table near the elevators, not in the main part of the lobby where tea was going on.
After we secured a decent table (required nagging), we waited forever to see a wait person. We had to ask to be served. Sat at the table sweating without any ice water or anything for about 20 mins. Although servers kept swishing back & forth past our table.

There is no herbal tea,. Just english black & white. There is a green tea but it doesnt come iced. Only one iced tea available. How hard is it to make iced tea?

They serve a selection of pastries, scones, and open faced sandwiches. It was OK. I put a game face on it because it was my daughter's birthday gift to me, & I was hungry, but I have never had a decent tea in Colorado ANYWHERE. But this one was the WORST. So if you're in Denver avoid this hotel except to go look at the architecture, which is interesting.

The young doorman at the front door had some interesting gossip. We could have gotten something at McD's & eaten it in a pedicab, would have been way more fun.

Forgot to mention the solo fiddle player. It was annoying, since I didnt' care for his easy listening warhorse choices.

As a matter of fact I highly recommend taking a ride in a pedicab. It's a great way to see the mall area & get a bit of a breeze. Browns Hotel is a stodgy, overblown relic.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jane5505
BPManager, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

We truly appreciate your feedback, which will provide us with the opportunity to improve upon our services.

We take great pride in the training of our staff and the quality of our pastries and sandwiches served alongside a selection of the finest teas available today. I understand that your recent visit with us was not indicative of the Brown Place service and experience that we strive to provide. I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your experience, and we would be most grateful if you would consider a return visit so that we may be able to provide you with the world-class Afternoon Tea experience you were anticipating.

Thank you, Thomas Gutmann, tgutmann@brownpalace.com.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I was delighted to find that my work in Denver was going to include a stay at the Brown Palace Hotel, which I remember from early visits to Colorado in my childhood! This is a truly special place with a wonderful history. The hotel is lovingly preserved and even though rooms are of variable sizes, they include good beds, nice linens and other amenities! Tea in the atrium is one of the grand old Denver experiences and not to be missed. The hotel staff was accomodating and cheerful! They even arranged a courtesy car to the Denver Botanic Garden for us! What a lovely place to stay in Denver!

Room Tip: My room was really small with an even smaller bathroom. So ask to see the room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business