“Disappointing this time around”

Quality Inn & Suites Denver Stapleton
Ranked #98 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Buffalo, New York
“Disappointing this time around”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel over 5 times in the past year and a half, and this is by far my worst stay. First of all, the rate on the website was almost double what I paid the last time I was here, so I emailed them asking if they had a better rate. Over two weeks later, *on the date I had requested to check in*, they finally emailed me back. By that time, I had already booked the hotel through Priceline at a significant discount. When I arrived at the hotel (a friend picked me up at the airport, as we were in a hurry to get somewhere), they had no record of my reservation. I showed them my confirmation, they said they didn't have it, sorry. Luckily there was one room available, they gave it to me at the rate I'd been quoted, and said to straighten it out with Priceline or they'd charge me the full amount. Talking to Priceline, they indicated that the hotel failed to book the reservation even though they *had* confirmed it. So who knows who to believe, I'm just lucky there was a room available.

Fast forward to time to leave. I went to reserve the airport shuttle and they told me it was discontinued. I had specifically checked that on the website before booking, and it was still listed as an amenity. I checked the website this minute as I'm writing this and sure enough "courtesy airport shuttle service" is listed (http://www.hoteldenverincolorado.com/denver-specials.aspx).

The room itself is a typical room, but the bathtub drains incredibly slowly (wasn't sure it was draining at all, but eventually it did). Breakfast seems to have been scaled back as well, but I can't say that with certainty because I stick to the same item each time.

I just feel completely let down by the hotel after all the times I've stayed here. The staff I've dealt with have all been nice and as helpful as they can be, leading me to believe the problems are higher up the chain (training, policy, communication). That free shuttle was always a factor in pushing me to this hotel, so I'm not sure this one is even going to make my short list in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Phoenix, Arizona, Usa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The treadmill is still broken from my last visit in May. My remote would not sinc with the TV so I had to manually change channels. The BW employee did her best to help to no avail. The hotel was sold out and no other rooms available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Brad R
Tiffany G, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your response, our fitness center has 3 brand new machines in there for use at this time. I do not know why you remote was not working for you. I would love to have you back to see the new fitness equipment as well as have a working remote. If you contact me before you arrive on your next stay I will be happy to upgrade you come see us again!
Ottawa, Kansas
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

The front desk was extremely busy with only one clerk. The phone was ringing off the hook the whole time while she was trying to help the people standing in line. She would answer the phone while trying to take care of the people waiting. Yes, there was a line of up to five guests waiting. She was swamped which showed to me that the management was the problem. We were given a key to our room which when we opened the door, there was a man laying on the bed watching TV. Yep, this room was already booked. Imagine the security breach this created! We finally got another room which was not very clean with hairs on the floor in the bathroom. Yuck! The breakfast was better than expected. When checking out, I asked to speak with the manager, which I did. I let her know that the clerk was overwhelmed the night before and how we received keys to a previously booked room. She responded that a new clerk accidentally checked out the room that the man still had and that she was aware that the clerk was busy as someone had called in sick. I suggested that a good manager would have been with the clerk to help out since she new her hotel was short handed. The only ones who suffered were the guests. She really didnt care at all and just gave excuses.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Walking-away-now
Tiffany G, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your response I am very sorry about the miss handling of the room situation. Giving a guest a key to someone else’s room is something that should not happen, however there are times when mistakes are made as well. There is no excuse for the room being unclean, and if notified we can move you right away or have the room cleaned at that time. My management staff and I will stay when there is a call in, but once we feel the desk agent is able to handle situations we will leave. We sometimes cannot predict all situations, when people will check in and at times we do get many guest checking in at the same time, which will cause a delay, but we do try our best to give them the help needed.

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have stayed at several Best Westerns and Best Western Plus hotels so have judged this place against them. I'm not sure how this place qualified for the 'Plus' title.

I stayed in this "newly renovated" hotel for just under a week. I'm not sure what part of the hotel is newly renovated but it certainly wasn't my room or the main areas. The room was painted in a depressing brown, carpet was dark brown and all furniture was dark brown as well. This resulted in a rather dark, depressing and old feel to the room. The furniture was very chipped.

I tried to visit the fitness room, but the treadmill was out of order for my entire stay (6 nights) and the other machines (bike and elliptical machine) were noisy and clunky.

The TV in the room was a good size. However, there were limited channels available.

Breakfast was okay and appeared to be restocked regularly. The staff were pleasant and friendly but it was not enough to make up for a disappointing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tiffany G, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hello and thank you for your responds
Our hotel was renovated in 2010; we are making additions to the renovations slowly but surely. Our rooms are of a darker décor, but not meant for depression. That is the last thing we want our guest to feel. The fitness center has been upgraded at this time brand new bike, treadmill, and elliptical machine. I hope you will come back and stay with us again! Again thank you for your respond.
Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Another business trip, another best western. I was only here for a couple of nights, and having stayed in some pretty horrible BW's in the past, this one was a pleasant surprise.

SERVICE: 5 out of 5.
The staff here is friendly and helpful to a fault - upscale places take note, this is how you handle service, with grace and a smile.

VALUE: 5 out of 5.
Room rates were quite reasonable, all things considered.

SLEEP QUALITY: 2 out of 5.
Unfortunately, we run into our first couple of problems here. The beds are rock hard, first off. Second off, (bear with me for a moment) cooling is a huge problem. There is the central air system, and a smaller AC unit provided next to the window. Both of these combined can not handle even average (80ish for this time of year) temperatures and get the room down to a comfortable 70 degres. Now, this wasn't a problem on one night because it was cool enough at night I could crack the window open to get some cool air in, but as it heats up, you'll be stuck choosing between the incredibly noisy ACs, or sleeping in a sauna. The cooling system at this location needs a major overhaul.

CLEANLINESS: 5 out of 5
Completely immaculate, both in the room and in the common areas. Staff were observed many times a day vacuuming and tidying up. I'd not think twice about eating off the floor here.

LOCATION: 4 out of 5
It's centrally located and in walking distance to a smallish shopping center and their own attached restaurant. I have to knock off one point due to the neighborhood being a bit sketchy. Lock your car doors.

ROOMS: 4 out of 5
Average motel room - came with a kitchenette as part of the base package. Have to knock a point off again for the obnoxious air conditioning system mentioned above, as well as the fact that there is nothing on TV. A good deal of channels showed "weak or no signal" instead of a picture. It's straight up basic cable. No PBS, oddly enough. But, these are minor whines.

RESTAURANT: 4 out of 5
There's a small mexican restaurant right next door, with good selection and service. The food is average, but it's a motel restaurant, you're not expecting fine dining.

Overall, a very nice location. The only real negatives are that it's a bit on the run down side and the decor is really beginning to show its age, but aside from the blasted aircon, a good motel for most times of the year. You may want to think twice in summer, though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Karunamon
Thank you so much for your responds we appreciate all of our guest’s thoughts and ideas. We hope to have you back again!
houston, texas
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Good location on east central side of Denver in Stapleton area. Lots of stores and restaurants across the street at shopping center. Easy access from I70, stay to right on Quebec St. Easy access to downtown and city park.
Building is older, could use some updating, but room was nicely appointed, updated, and beds were comfortable. Bathroom was nice too.
Breakfast was big and good, with lots of choices.
Avoid staying on the second floor if possible...this floor is where the common eating and gathering area is located. Very noisy in the morning and evening too if people are hanging out here. Other than that, the stay was good. I would stay again if in town, just not on the second floor!

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor and anywhere on the third floor south end....