“Very nice.”

Ranked #42 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Hanlontown
“Very nice.”
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoy this hotel because of the clean rooms, comfortable beds and pillows and they are decorated very nicely. They have an excellent breakfast buffet in the basement which is very relaxing. My husband said its one of the best he's had. It's a pretty Good value and the staff here is very helpful and friendly. This hotel is close to a lot of great restaurants with outdoor seating , fun shopping, and within walking distance to the Rockies stadium. The parking is a little bit pricey at $35.00 per day. That would be my only complaint. We will definitely stay here in the future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of the Denver Marriott City Center! We appreciate all of your feedback as it is essential in helping us continue to improve upon the guest experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of our amenities from the clean rooms to the excellent breakfast buffet to our prime location. We are especially pleased that you found our staff to be very helpful and friendly as we pride ourselves on offering fantastic customer service. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This was my and my husbands first visit to Colorado. We were here for business with the possibility of relocating here in the near future. Being as we are from a small town in Texas where ALL our family lives, we were a little lost. Scott was so informative and always there and ready to help. We enjoyed our stay with only one complaint, the bed killed both our backs.

• Stayed May 2014
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Denver Marriott City Center! We are thrilled to hear that Scott was so informative and helpful to you. Thank you for your positive feedback on our staff as we take great pride in our guest services. We are sorry to hear that you did not find the bed to be comfortable. We appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve the guest experience in the future. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Desk staff very helpful and courteous, cheerful, excellent service. Room was fine, bed very comfortable, clean. Used the swimming pool as it stays open late. I was the only person there so that was wonderful. Ate in their evening bar/dining area. The food selection was okay, food was acceptable - it's a cavernous open space with a huge TV for sports events. Hotel is close to the main pedestrian street, convenient to get around.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We appreciate your positive comments on our staff as we take great pride in our guest services. It is wonderful to hear that you found the desk staff to be helpful and provide excellent service. Thank you for your positive feedback on the comfortable room, the pool, and our location. We hope you will join us again in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have never seen such a professional and talented staff as I saw in this hotel. I work with hotels and this staff adds a new definition to "class". My family and I needed a lot of assistance and at no time did this staff fail to provide above and beyond. Looking at them just makes you wonder how they can be so good. The accommodations were beyond compare. We hated to leave. The BEST experience I have ever had.

Green Features: Everyone should try this place once.... and they will be hooked
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We are thrilled to hear that you found the staff to be professional and talented. It is wonderful to know that they exceeded your expectations, as we take great pride in our guest services. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here and really enjoyed it and the staff went above and beyond. I came down with a really bad fever on my first night and they sent security up to take my temperature, it was 102 degrees. They offered to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital and when I said I didn't want to take one they got me a taxi instead and they even paid for it. I told them they could bill it to the room and they said they would do it as a courtesy at no cost to me. That was very nice of them and it truly went above and beyond my expectations.
On the second day there I found out that my mother died and they were even able to look up the address of the Jefferson County coroner's office for me.
It was a sad depressing time for me and they did their best to cheer me up.
I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Denver for pleasure or business.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center! We take great pride in our guest services so we are thrilled to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your recommendation and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, should your travels bring you back to Denver.
CHICAGO ILL
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Alisha helped us at the front desk. Very nice. Room is good, the air is not working so well. I bid for this hotel on Priceline. We paid 65.00' normal price is 170.00. 16th street mall was just a few blocks down. Lots of stores and restuarants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Denver Marriott City Center. We are very happy to hear you were pleased with our rooms, staff & location. We value your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Denver soon!
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed here April 17th-20th. The place looked nice initially and everyone was helpful. The valet guys hounded us the second we pulled up though and immediately valeted the car without telling us how much it cost or anything else. We just wanted to pull up to unload luggage then park the car ourselves. The valet guys went out of their way to get the car and park it in their lot without okaying it with us first. Turns out it costs $38 a day for valet. We didn't even want the service. They also lied at the front desk when asked about the valet telling us it was a great deal because it costs around $20 a day to park in that area and you can't pull your car out and put it back in without paying a fee. Definitely untrue, I found a place less than a block away that allowed us to park for $12 a day. It also was based on time, so if we pulled it out it only cost how long it was in. Plus, even if I wanted to pay the exorbitant $38 a day, it takes then 15-20 minutes to pull the car around. That's just slow as molasses for that much money plus the valet guy will expect a tip on top of it all. So strike one for Denver Mariott City Center.

We finally got our rooms without much difficulty. There were two of us, coworkers on business, staying in two separate rooms. On a side note, they didn't send a bellhop to bring the luggage on a cart which seems common in these higher end hotels, but I'm not a wuss and wasn't too bothered by it. It does bear mention though. I finally get to the room and start the unpack. The room was very clean and recently renovated from the looks of things. I definitely appreciated the newness of it. The bed was also extremely comfortable which added to the allure. The TV was 1080p and not faux 1080p, because when I hooked my laptop up to it, I got a full 1080p picture. That was a nice touch. From here came the problems. First off, they disabled the ethernet plug in the rooms, so I was unable to plug my laptop in for internet. It's not a huge deal because I do have wifi, but a plugged in cable will always be better and faster than wifi. Plus, they charge $15 a day for internet they deem "high speed". I am a server admin by trade, and 800 kb/s down is in no way high speed. I get faster speeds via 4G on my freaking cell phone, give me a break. $15 a day for such crummy internet felt like a rip off of epic proportions. It definitely upset me. I also checked out the business center later on to see if they had higher speed internet down there, but they wanted another $15 a day on top of what I paid in my room to use it. Talk about a rip off. Make the rooms cost more then if you plan to nickel and dime people or give us internet worthy of the high speed label to make it worth $15. I stayed in a different hotel while staying in Fort Morgan earlier in the trip that cost less than half of this one per night, and they had faster internet with no surcharge plus free breakfast. Here they wanted $20 for freaking waffles. Those better be some damn good waffles for $20. That doesn't even include the $8 for coffee. Definitely a very sorry situation when a company has to nickel and dime guests needlessly. Strike two for the Denver Mariott City Center.

This final part is the part that angered me more than anything during this infuriatingly bad stay at this so called luxury hotel. My coworker and I shared one rental car during the trip. He left the keys for the car at the front desk reception with the bellhop, so I could pick them up in the morning to go about my business. I go down Sunday morning to checkout, and the receptionist at the desk cannot find the keys in the back. Then this giant Amazonian blonde woman starts copping an attitude with me regarding the keys acting like it was my fault the keys weren't there. She practically insulted me to my face like I was some kind of moron and refused to look for the keys unless I got in touch with my coworker and had him tell her who he left them with. I finally got in touch with my coworker who confirmed he left the keys with the bellhop. I then talk to a different women who isn't a pissy Amazonian that helps me find them in, get this, the TOP DRAWER of the bellhop's desk. How hard is it to find keys in an envelope with my room number and name on them in the TOP DRAWER of a bellhop's desk? Talk about inexcusable. Then you're going to cop an attitude with me when you're the one that screwed the pooch? Talk about a horrible employee and a horrible ability to handle a simple situation with speed, dignity, and class. Mind you, I had already checked out, so I was stuck sitting in the lobby for about 45 minutes while this all played out. This also delayed me from being on time to a brunch meeting I had that morning. Strike three for the Denver Mariott City Center.

Long story short, I will be back in Denver on business at least three more times over the coming months, and I will never ever under any circumstances set foot into that hellacious hotel ever again. They need to treat their guests better if they hope to continue to earn business from me or my company.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bryan H
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Bryan,
We appreciate the feedback and hope at some point you can give Marriott another chance. With regards to the valet rates, our rate is $35 per night; the Hyatt Regency, Westin Tabor Center is the same and the Sheraton Downtown Denver is $36, currently. The internet rates at each of those hotels are also comparable with similar speeds. The prices of our food in the hotel’s restaurant are also very similar to the three hotels listed as well. I will ensure your comments are shared at the next hotel operations meeting so that we can critique each department mentioned.