“Not the greatest- not staying here again.”

Denver Marriott City Center
Ranked #41 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Not the greatest- not staying here again.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We switched our hotel to this one from the Brown Palace, wished I didn't do that.

This Marriott in the center of the city is convenient, but that's about it. Service was sub-par - especially as a platinum member. Room condition was poor, breakfast was a rip-off.

Upon checking in we went to our room, which had a decent "mountain view", but definitely not what I asked upon checking in, nor asking about an upgrade to a nicer room with a better view. The room was also in stage of disrepair, with paint/wall paper peeling and many scuff marks throughout the room.

Additionally, the room was rather small and the bathroom was tiny - definitely not the quality I was expecting.

The bed itself was not the most comfortable of marriott bed's I've stayed in either.

As a platinum member I get breakfast for free - this hotel said that if I wanted hot items I had to pay $6 extra per person to receive this. I mentioned having over 70 nights stayed this year in a number of hotels and have never experienced this before. She said that is their policy. Strange/bad policy - definitely not the experience I expected.

Definitely will not stay here - will certainly try the Brown palace on the next trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback about the hotel. I want to thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. As a platinum member, you are our most valued customer and should be treated as such. We continue to improve the hotel by spending money on various renovation projects and enhancements. As for the service in our hotel, we often times are complimented on it. Our service scores are always on the forefront of what we do so I urge you to come back and try us again the next time you are in Denver.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2014

When your rooms are small and dated, you are under renovation and you recently were cited for cockroachs in the kitchen, you think you would make up for it with customer service. I checked in my a coworker who received a rate $100 less per night than me for side by side rooms (his was $189 and mine was $290). When I asked them to reconsider my rate they said they would get back to me and never did. When I reminded them, they refused to do anything about it saying that I booked later and they were close to full so our corporate rate did not apply. I checked out and went to an outstanding room at the Hotel Monaco for $100 less and free internet and received a suite because they actually wanted my corporate business. The Monaco is rated as one of the best 500 hotels in the world! This Marriott might not even be in the top 500 hotels in Denver. I am an executive of a company with offices across the street from this hotel and no one from our company will ever stay there again. I am a Marriott fan but this hotel stinks.

Room Tip: Ignore this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike N
Steve A, Director of Sales at Denver Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thanks for your feedback as we would appreciate the chance to regain your trust in our hotel. Room rates are dictated by our availability at the time of booking which is most likely why you did not receive your special corporate rate. We are conducting on-going training for our staff to be able to respond back to our guest questions about rates and availability.

We are aware of the reported issues related to the hotel. Marriott takes food safety very seriously and as a result has established very strict food handling policies and procedures. We have corrected all matters identified in the inspection report and are taking the appropriate steps to prevent this situation from happening again. At no time were the hotel’s food and beverage operations closed and the hotel passed the most recent health department inspection in December 2013.
Chappell, Nebraska
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Along with two other couples, we spent the night of Dec 31, 2013 at the Denver Marriott. We were in town for a concert and to ring in the New Year. We've stayed at this hotel before, so we knew what to expect. It's conveniently located to the lower downtown area of Denver and was close to the concert venue we were attending. The rooms are small and the entire facility is in need of a bit of maintenance and updating. Breakfast was included and it was excellent. Value is average and since there are so many choices of good hotels in downtown Denver, I would probably choose to stay elsewhere in the future. The concert we were attending recommended this hotel and supposedly had a "special room rate", but I'm a bit skeptical about that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed B
Thanks for your feedback as we welcome you back anytime! We are currently in the midst of updating our lobby and other public areas of the hotel. We have many special rate agreements with venues across the City. Black-Out dates sometime apply during the course of the year which New Year’s Eve is included in those. I’m excited to hear your experience with Breakfast was “excellent” and our “conveniently location” came along with your stay with us. Give us another chance as I’m sure your experience with us will be different next time around.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Not the best Marriott I stayed in. The room was very small which is not typical for the Marriott hotels in the US. Great service at the front desk! Excellent location very close to the Convention Center. However, I would not dare to walk there at night alone but Denver as a city does not seem to be very safe, so it is not about the hotel location. Good choice for a short business trip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and your loyalty to Marriott! Did you know the FBI rated one of the Country’s Safest Downtowns? I’m glad to hear you found our location and service “excellent”. . We are in the process of renewing our lobby with a new fresh look and Colorado feel. The size of our guest rooms is actually pretty comparable to other similar hotel brands in Downtown Denver. We hope you come back and see us again.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed January 2, 2014

They cost more than enough for their crappy rooms, which don't even have a veiw, I've stayed at hotels for $50 a night with better service and nicer beds, and they also charge you for wifi... which is free in most of America. also they charged me a smoking fee for $250 and i don't even smoke. they were very rude when I confronted them about the charge. I am surprised they don't have a coin machine to allow you to use their bedsheets. I would never even look at this hotel agian!

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid feedback as we strive to provide positively memorable customer experiences for our guests. While we would love to have perfect views out all of our guest rooms, the construction of our building does not allow for that. Since being the first hotel company to make all of its hotels “smoke free” our guests have responded with rave reviews. The charge of $250 is a way to deter guests from smoking in the room and the cost to clean and refresh the room. At times, the room needs to be taken out of service in order for the odor to go away.
Mitchell, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, 2 blocks from 16th street mall. The hotel was great about changing our room to a bigger one during our stay. The beds are very comfortable. Starbucks in the building. Valet was very convenient. We were not told tht it was under renovations when booked and the concierge room wasn't open, disappointed. Overall, we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your business! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Denver.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is an average hotel at a good central location. I stayed there for business for 3 nights in November 2013, when the weather was very cold. A big negative of this hotel is its noisy central air conditioning/heating system that almost doesn't let you sleep. I left the heating on during the night but it was very noisy! The hotel is at a good central location and within a walking distance to the The Colorado Convention Center and the 16th street mall. The breakfast was very good. There is also a Starbucks in the ground floor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your business! Our Engineering Department is continually monitoring the central air conditioning/heating system within the hotel so that our guests can get the good night’s sleep they expect. I recommend that you call down to the front desk the next time so that we can get you moved to another room. Otherwise, the staff would have been more than happy to correct the issue while you were at your meeting. I’m glad you were able to enjoy all the other aspects of your stay.