“Missing the point”

Austin, TX
“Missing the point”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Okay..
It's beautiful, if a bit stark.

I don't know why my husband booked it for this business trip, but he did. I go for the mid level properties like Holiday Inn Express, where I feel I get bang for my buck. For $200+a night I want everything to work perfectly! at the least.

Got to our room and it was cold. Turned up the thermostat and nothing happened.

Went to the bathroom and there were no toiletries. I called and was assured they would be brought up. They weren't.

Had dinner with our local contact at Pub17 in the hotel. Very pedestrian food.

Returned to room. No shampoo. Hubby went down to front desk and got some.

Bed was comfy but super light-weight comforter too little for the cold room so I spent the night trying to double the quilt over me to get warm.

Morning comes, big day ahead. Took shower (great shower)' went to blow dry. No way will the dryer plug stay anchored in the socket. Had Hubby hold plug in socket while I tried to style hair. Left hotel looking and feeling frayed.

All the time the staff is Johnny on the spot ready to help, smile, serve...but why can't they seem to manage the simple basics of hostelry? Warmth. Necessities. Appliances you can actually work.

Oh well. Next time I'll book the hotel!

2 Thank Judy H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Aurora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I came here to support an event held in the Hyatt. Porters voluteered to move equipment for me before I thought to ask them. The Hyatt's event person (Meagan) met me in the ballroom, asked if I needed anything and answered all the questions I usually have to chase down answers to. In addition, she went above and beyond by working with a show sponsor to iron out the sponsor's oversight. Their staff have worked actively to make sure everything was perfect. Simply flawless.

• Stayed February 2014
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I spend several weekends a year in Denver, typically choosing the Hyatt Regency however the Grand Hyatt is my go-to hotel now! A perfect Valentine's Day weekend. Every single employee we encountered was welcoming, warm, helpful and polite.

Checkin- A short line, then was helped by a manager, Jake. He explained many of the recent renovations and we were expeditiously checked in. He recommended the burgers in Pub 17, which I overwhelming echo.

Room-I used a Diamond upgrade to receive a suite on the top floor. It was very inviting and nicely appointed including a spa-like bath. Decor was in was dark browns with golds and splashes of color. No tub in this one, but the shower was spacious with a rainshower plus regular showerhead. I almost forgot, this was the cleaned hotel room I have stayed in for a long time! I am pretty picky and all I can say is Kudos to the housekeeping staff!!

Restaurants/Bars: As stated previously, Pub 17 had great burgers which came with an upscale salad and worth-splurging-for fries. There was fancier things on the menu as well. They have an extensive beer list featuring Colorado beers. We are now hooked on Frisco, CO's pale ale, "Backcountry"; despite living in Colorado and thinking ourselves knowledgeable about the local offerings, this was an exciting new find! The bar areas is nice but I will advise that the main eating area of Pub 17 has a boring feeling not conducive to the rest of the main level. So visit, just stay near the bar!

The former, spacious main lobby is now a very inviting bar called Fireside The Bar, offering handmade specialty cocktails. We were excited to try some off the forthcoming spring menu... gin/cucumber/mint...yummy. We enjoyed live music both nights of our stay here by a talented local musician. And the fireplaces make this spacious room feel very cozy.

We also enjoyed late night in-room dining. The tortilla soup is very flavorful and the salmon salad was great. Service was prompt and food was delicious.

Parking: We were going to be using the car frequently so opted for valet. I'll say retrieving our car was very speedy every time. I noted that street parking is free on Sundays, so that is an opportunity to save a few bucks. Also there are public lots very close if you prefer.

Location: This is 1.5 short blocks north of 16th Street Mall. Considering the free Mall Ride bus, it is a very convenient location. Going to the Performing Arts Center, for example, is just about a 4 block walk once you factor in the bus along 16th street. Or just take a pedi cab, which are plentiful on the mall! One item of note is that there are many one-way streets in this area, so be sure to take that into account. You enter the one-way valet alley off of Welton (which goes northeast one-way) and exit the valet parking onto Glenarm (southwest one-way).

Nearby: I love Appaloosa Grill, corner of Welton and 16th street mall for fresh, locally sourced, tasty food. Great happy hour and also late night music. It's just 1.5 short blocks away. Maggiano's Little Italy is about 2.5 blocks away at Glenarm and 16th Street.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I want to open my review by stating I am a huge fan of the Hyatt properties. Typically they are beautiful properties with excellent food , rooms, and facilities. That is not the case here. The public spaces ( lobby, corridors, restaurant, etc.) are trapped in the 1980's . These spaces are dark, dingy, and very dated. The service was excellent and food very good. In contrast to the public spaces, my room was beautiful and very clean. The automatic blinds did not work but I can over look that. I would not however recommend this Hyatt; nothing grand here!!!!
There are plenty of other wonderful hotels in Denver. I would recommend the Hyatt by the convention center.

Room Tip: Get a corner room. Clean and spacious.
1 Thank Sickofbadplaces
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I had a terrible experience at the Hyatt Tech Center and they arranged for me to move to the Grand Hyatt to finish my stay. I was so impressed with the new look and feel, the wonderful room and the Starbuck's practically in the building. I will definitely be back

Room Tip: high floor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The room was nice. It has everything needed for a businees trip.. Best for a stay at going to convention center. Small bar area but staff was very helpful. Check out was a breeze as I ned to head to the airport fast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bottineau, North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had a great room and the location of the Grand Hyatt is awesome! The valet service is very quick and professional. The fireside bar is very nice. The only thing I was missing was access to a microwave. We ate dinner elsewhere and it would have been nice to be able to heat up my leftovers. Otherwise, everything was A+++ for the price. Very nice.

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms--the views were great from all 3