“A good location. Friendly staff. Very much a boutique”

Magnolia Hotel Denver
Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Denver, Colorado
“A good location. Friendly staff. Very much a boutique”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed with our two kids in a one bedroom. We do this from time to time, and got a great rate, so decided to try it. The hotel was great, but they were not set up for this kind of situation. The couch was small, and more like a loveseat, so only our youngest (5) could actually fit. We had the 8 year old on chair cushions on the floor that we made into a bed, because they wouldn't give us a cot. That's not really the hotel's fault though. It would have been great for just the two of us.

You are right off the 16th Street Mall area, which is very convenient for the downtown area. The parking/valet situation worked very smoothly. The cookie bar at night is quite a treat also. The rooms are very modern and clean and comfortable. We had a nice bathroom, and a kitchenetter area, which made the room a great size.

We had another great trip to Denver. We happened to be there for one of the zoos free Sundays - and it was a great zoo. We drove up to Loveland for a day and went skiing. We hung out with friends and did some shopping. Oh, and the friends watched the kids one night while we caught a concert. A great trip, and the hotel was very convenient for everything. If you get on their email list, they send a lot of weekend specials too.

Would definitely stay again, but would not call it family friendly.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southern US
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Beautiful, modern contemporary lobby. Great, friendly staff. Free wifi, the softest most comfortable beds I've ever stayed in. My only complaints were the lack of fridge or microwave in-room. Breakfast buffet was hot and wonderful, several bread choices, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, Starbucks coffee, fruit, all near a great waterfall. Valet parking which was a little pricier than nearby garages, but still convenient and very friendly. Check-in and check-out was very fast. Maid service was terrific.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for about a week while we attended the 2008 World Science Fiction Convention.

The hotel was conveniently located to the mall (with its free shuttle) and within walking distance of the Convention Center.

The hotel is in a former bank building. Our room was high-ceilinged and comfortable. Sound-proofing was excellent, and we slept very well.

There was an ample hot breakfast which was well-attended while we were there. They also had an evening "cookies and milk" event which we went to several times. There was an afternoon wine and beer offering, but the one time we were able to be back early enough to attend it was being held in the small bar and we didn't want to push through the crowd.

My one suggestion would be that they change the "milk and cookies" to the early slot, and make the "beer and wine" event a later event.

I would recommend this hotel to someone who wanted a comfortable hotel convenient to downtown.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Sammamish
Reviewed May 16, 2009

My husband and I and our two "twenty-something" sons stayed at the Magnolia during a recent, leisure trip to Denver. We all agreed it was a great stay and we would definitely return if Denver is our destination. We had two, double rooms on the top floor of the hotel. Our rooms were tastefully decorated, clean and adequate in size (not spacious). The hotel served as a great base for taking in a Rockies game at Coors Field and attending a concert at the Paramount as well as checking out shops and restaurants on the 16th Street Mall. Everything was easily accessed on foot (especially with the free shuttle on the Mall.) While on our trip we also visited Roxborough Park and Rocky Mountain National Park so we had a car. We found the parking garage next door to the hotel very convenient and the weekend rates were quite reasonable. (We did not take advantage of the hotel's valet parking.)
On the second night of our stay, my husband and I were concerned because a bacholerette party was based in the room next to ours. We were pleasantly surprised to find the sound was sufficiently insulated so we were not disturbed by the party.
Our sons' favorite feature of the hotel was the evening beer and wine reception. We took advantage of the hot breakfast each morning, the beer and wine reception each evening and the cookies and milk/coffee/tea one evening. With good rates to start with and these extras, we consider our stay to be one of the best deals we've ever found.
I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone visiting Denver!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 2, 2009

I stayed at the Magnolia Hotel during a recent 3 day business trip to Denver. It was conveniently located within walking distance of the convention center and the 16th street mall. The hotel is in an old building that has been tastefully restored. A very good hot breakfast, cookies & milk, and cocktail hour are included with the room price. The staff was always courteous about shuttling me to my destinations. As a frequent traveler, I have to say that this was probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. Now, the down side... my room was super small... with approximately 3 feet to spare, on each side of the queen bed. The decor was really dated... heavy brownish-maroonish crushed velvet draperies covering the large old windows, a dark brown carpet, and an orange, brown and white 70's print bedspread. I commented on the smallness of the room, when checking out, and was told that it was their smallest. Although I enjoyed the comps and the staff, I would not stay there again, because of the room being way too small and very claustrophobic.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
MagnoliaHotels, PR Director at Magnolia Hotel Denver, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
Thank you for your feedback, we were delighted to find you experienced our hotel as one of the cleanest you’ve ever stayed in. I just wanted to let you know that after spending $13 million on a renovation within the past year, some of the new bedding has yet to come in; so, the room you stayed in with the multi-color bedding will soon have new bedding that is a calm, wheat (off-white) color with a teal accent throw. I hope you’ll give the Magnolia another try, next time on check in request a larger room or inquire about our upgrade to a suite… we have 119 suites out of 246 rooms so often there are great suite upgrades! Thank you again for staying with us and for the feedback. Happy travels.
Reviewed April 23, 2009

The Denver Magnolia Hotel was the best surprise ever. It was on the list of hotels for a conference I attended, and its proximity to the conference center made the choice easy. This hotel is fantastic. My "room" was about the size of my apartment at home - approx 700 square feet! There was a kitchen, a living room with a sofa that easily sat 8-10 people, a flat screen TV, dining room table, great bathroom, a separate little room for my clothes and a bedroom (second TV). I could not believe the size of this room. Everything in the hotel was complimentary, the wireless setup, the gym, breakfast, you name it. Every evening between 5 and 6 PM was Happy Hour (free beer and wine) and from 8-10 PM free cookies, coffee, tea and milk. The hotel courtesy shuttle drives you everywhere if need be, the staff is super friendly. This is the place to say at in Denver!! Bravo!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My husband and I are from Alberta, Canada and went to Denver to attend 2 Avalanche games. We are pretty fussy about what hotels we stay in as we consider it a treat and want a real "home away from home". I picked the Hotel Magnolia from reading various reviews online. When we arrived, the employee at the front desk upgraded us to a suite because we were staying for 6 nights. This was complimentary. We found the suite spacious, clean and very chique. We thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, the happy hour which gave complimentary draught and red and white wine, and the cookies and milk before bedtime. They also give complimentary high speed internet access. Alan, the consierge was sweet and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The location is unbelievable. You are right alongside the 16th street mall and close to all restaurants. We will definitely stay at the Hotel Magnolia again when we return to Denver!!! Keep us the great service!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple