“Happy hour!!! And beer upon check in!!!”

Magnolia Hotel Denver
Ranked #44 of 161 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Now first of all the hotel is very nice. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is good, but the best part was the promotion we got when checking in and were handed a six pack of local beers!!! The happy hour was great with free food and drinks and music. All and all even with out the promotion the staff was friendly and the rooms neat and clean. I would recommend this to other travelers

• Stayed: June 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,812)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here during our visit to watch the first Broncos game of the season. It is a bit pricey, but all of the nice downtown hotels are.

Our room was a King. It was a small room but clean and attractive, although our "window view" was the wall of the building next door. lol. The TV was a HD flat screen, there was a comfy sitting chair, and a desk for our laptop (free wi-fi). The bed was firm and comfy. I didn't see a frig or microwave in our room (maybe they have them in the suites) but there was a safe in the little walk-in closet.

Every morning there is a very nice free continental breakfast where you can also "pay" for a made-to-order omelet. And, every night, they have free beer & wine for an hour and then a little later they have free cookies & milk.

This place is only a block from "Mall Street" where there are FREE, on-going busses which go up and down the street all day long. You just hop on or off. It stops at every corner block. Mall Street is great for restaurants and shops...very nice "tourist" downtown area. The best thing was taking the free bus on game day up to Market Street where you could catch a shuttle bus to the Broncos game (I think it was $4.50...a great deal). The shuttle bus drops you off right at the front of the stadium. It was great!

Another nice feature of this location was that at the corner of Stout & Mall/16th was a Walgreens...always nice to find a drug store nearby for those "gotta pick up" items you forgot or even a quick snack or bottle of water.

The only 'negative' of staying here, is the parking & one-way streets. Almost EVERY street is one-way so you have to plan your route before you drive. Believe me when I say that the first couple times of coming to our hotel, we had to drive in circles to come to the correct entrance point. One point that was confusing was the "Magnolia Ballroom" sign which is NOT the hotel...the hotel is across the street. We kept driving in circles looking for the entrance of the Magnolia Hotel when we saw that sign. It was very frustrating! Also, you CANNOT drive on Mall Street (aka 16th Street) AT ALL...that is for the free busses only.

This hotel has valet parking ($26 per day unlimited in/out) and right next door to the hotel on Stout is a parking garage ($17 for 6 a.m.-6 p.m., $6 for 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., $8 for 24-hour weekend parking (starting Friday at 6 p.m. to Monday 6 a.m.) The negative with the parking garage is that it is metered so once you go "out", when you come back in the rate starts over. However...the parking garage was still cheaper for us than the valet parking. There is very limited parking on the street.

To enter the parking garage, you can enter from Stout Street or you can enter the Magnolia front desk/valet area (from 17th St) and drive past the valet people right into the garage. (Our route was....get onto Colfax, North on 15th Street, East on Stout driving past Mall Street and the garage entrance will be on the Left after Mall (16th). To use the Valet, get onto Stout, Left on 18th, Left on Champa, Left on 17th and get all the way over to the right lane where the entrance to the hotel is. (Remember the old saying....3 lefts make a right)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I read the reviews, drank the Koolaid and was expecting to LOVE this hotel. I didn't. It's mediocre, average, nothing special. This is a great hotel for someone who has never stayed at a Hilton or Marriott 4/5 star hotel, or for someone who travels for business and needs things like a clean room, soft towels, soft sheets, no obnoxious train bells ringing all night (don't stay on the Stout St. side) - necessities in order to get up and conduct a day a business. I brought my fiance with me on this trip and romance was the last thing on my mind here, especially since we had to buy ear plugs in order to sleep at night. The free cookies and evening reception sound great, but is held in the tiny lobby. The breakfast is okay....at 7:30 AM on a Thursday they were out of eggs, sausage, juice and glasses. I water out of a to-go cup. The hotel is running a promotion, so you get upgraded to a suite automatically - that is if you hadn't reserved a suite in advance, which I did. So I had to request that I be refunded $30 a night upon proof that I booked the hotel through them and showed a Trip Advisor coupon. Two days in a row I left my room by 8:00 AM and upon return @ 4:00 pm the room hadn't been cleaned. The first day I had an event @ 6:00 and needed to change and get ready - the desk clerk said they had lots of rooms to clean that day and is why my room hadn't been cleaned. And skip room service....my 'Cheesy Standard' cheeseburger arrived cold and with NO cheese and with no condiments. When I called to ask about the missing cheese, the immediate solution was to bring me a slice of cheese - not to remove the item from my bill or to bring me a cheeseburger, which was what I ordered and paid for. Note: the burger was ultimately removed from my bill. I left my 3 night stay with the impression that this hotel is barely hanging on and only doing the bare minimum - which explains the terrible thin, rough towels and rough, balled up sheets. I actually woke up with a rash on my face from the pillowcase. At least my colleagues who stayed at the Hyatt and Embassy Suites had a good laugh, even if it was at my expense. :)

Room Tip: If you are looking to punish yourself and want to stay here, make sure you don't get a room on S...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine L
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had a meeting in this hotel. Big advantages were large breakfast buffet and afternoon cocktails included in the price! Front staff were very helpful. Great location for downtown Denver - lots of close by restaurants. The meeting rooms were pretty small, and the ballroom was OK for a meeting.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent one night here for a Rockies game and to see downtown Denver. Employees friendly and accommodating. We received a room above the lobby and overlooking the car reception/valet area on the first floor (no other rooms available at that time higher up). Didn't think it would be a problem, but heard car doors closing and some lobby noise all night/all morning. Too tired and too much effort to change rooms (but I think they would of done so in the middle of the night if we asked). Room was dimly lit, but clean, spacious, and comfortable. Breakfast was overcrowded with too few staff to restock food and clean tables. Overall average price for downtown Denver ($150 + $26 valet + taxes) - will try a different place next time as first impressions drive our future decisions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor when booking.
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in April. It is a beautiful hotel and the location is great! You are a short walk from the museums, the capital and right next to shopping and tons of food. I would stay here again if going to Denver!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in apleasant room on the top floor of this artsy highrise hotel. Not too ritzy, but had alot of character. Ee enjoyed a fun happy hour in the swanky rec room downstairs after having been to a play at Denver Performing Arts Center. We loved downtown atmosphere.
the problem arose after I left. I realized I had left a pair of casual sandals in the room. I called 2x after I got home to let them know I had left my shoes in the room. I was told that no 1 had found the sandals. How can that be? I left them there. Having been in the hotel business for several years, I am well aware that when someone leaves an item in a room it is held for several months before it is disposed of. Those were MY sandals! You shouldn't have to use a safe to keep your shoes from disappearing. Thus the whole experience of the Magnolia was unfortunately clouded by someone's dishonest act and the customer service lax attitude about it. It leaves an air of cheesiness and unprofessional management. Too bad.

3  Thank lynsadler