“OK--a couple problems”

Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr
Ranked #87 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I arrived late in the evening, needing to catch a morning flight out of DIA. They have plenty of parking, likely due to the park and fly programs many of the hotels have. $8 a day to park is a pretty good deal.
Let me preface this by saying I purchased the room through hotwire since it was a last minute trip. The price beat about every one of the other (considered) mid-higher price range hotels. I would stay at this property again for the $90 price tag but not for the rates quoted on other websites.
Check in was easy and the front desk was helpful in explaining their park and fly program. I made it to my room-it was large and comfortable. The bed, firmer than I usually like but it was OK.
Now, the issues:
-the alarm clock did not work, tried following the instructions on the top of the clock-the numbers wouldn't budge. Oh well, got a wake up call and set my cell phone alarm.
-the guest book says ice AND vending on each floor-grabbed my ice bucket and some cash thought I would just make due with a snack before bed as I had skipped supper on my way in to Denver. Wrong-there was an ice machine and that was it. Not feeling up to going on a search for vending machines, I opted to just order room service. The guest brochure says "24 hour" and while I understand the options are limited after a certain time, I didn't have my hopes up. Good thing, after numerous tries to reach room service-the number in the book and pushing the "room service" button on the phone I got NO answer! Good thing I wasn't starving or a diabetic!
One thing that bothers me in today's "business class" hotels is the lack of free wifi--this hotel DOES provide free wifi-a plus in my book.
One thing I do wonder about hotels now is the lack of adequate and accessable outlets to plug in computers, phones, tablets etc. this hotel was no exception to this. No place to plug in a bedside phone without getting behind the bed and built in nightstands and unplugging the light or the alarm clock. "sigh" oh well, someday all hotels will have a "charging center".
I would pay the $90 for the room again but I wouldn't cough up much more than that.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank countrydoc425
Don W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review,

I am sincerely apologetic for the lack of service that you experienced from our concierge staff. We encourage our guests to let the front desk know when particular items are not in service (your alarm clock) or not up to standards (no vending). I am incredibly concerned with the fact that our concierge services did not pick up your call for room service and I would love to find out more about your stay including the dates and times so that we can ensure that this is not an issue in the future.

If you wouldn't mind, please email me at DENAU@jqh.com with your stay details and we will work to rectify the situation.

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Crowne is an older hotel that's about 15 minutes from Denver International. While the hotel itself is a little dated, it seems well maintained and our room was clean and mostly updated. The carpet was a little worn and the furniture was older than most, but the linens and towels were fresh and soft. Our check-in was quick and efficient and the shuttle service to our early morning flight was perfect. I would stay at the crowne again any time I need to be close to the airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for your review! Our hotel is one of the older hotels in the area, however we did recently go through a complete renovation to update the look and amenities of the space. We appreciate the good feedback and we are glad you will be staying with us again in the future!

We look forward to seeing you,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days for work. This place is clean quite and close to the airport.

Pros: very clean, good price, close to airport, very friendly staff

Cons: the food in the restaurant is not stellar but passable, wait staff is sub par

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your review,

We appreciate your kind words and we are glad that you were satisfied with your stay. I would like to apologize for the fact that you felt our wait staff in the restaurant was sub-par. I will be addressing this statement with our restaurant manager in order to make sure that our wait staff is constantly providing excellent service to our guests.

Thank you again.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Check-in process was quick. Room was clean, beds a little hard. Our room had a window facing the lobby. It was HOT....had to turn on the AC (in February, in Denver, during a blizzard). There's an annoying neon light outside the window, difficult to seal out the neon glow with the curtains. The lobby can be noisy, and it sounds as though the window is open (i.e. no soundproofing whatsoever). We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a dance convention that my daughter attended. she had an extremely tight schedule, so service was more important than it might be otherwise. The hotel was 100% booked since they were hosting the convention (one would think that the hotel would staff appropriately for an event like this......but apparently not). The negatives: room service on our first morning: we ordered the night before. It was on time--unfortunately it was not what we ordered. No toast, the wrong eggs, and the worst offense: no cream for my coffee. I called and they remedied the situation fairly quickly....unfortunately, they got it wrong on the second try, too. We decided to have dinner at the hotel that night. We were seated right away. The restaurant was filled to only about 1/2 capacity, which was surprising, since the hotel was full. We waited 30 minutes to get WATER, and we had to practically stand up and yell just to get that. I'd ordered a salad, my daughter had ordered soup and fries. After 50 minutes we finally got our food (at that point, we were one of only 2 occupied tables in the entire restaurant). There were four or five staff members bustling about the restaurant--unfortunately, none of them were bringing us food. My daughter's soup was cold & my salad was not as described on the menu. We were too sick of being held hostage in the restaurant to send our food back.

When we returned to our room, it had been sufficiently cleaned. However, we had no toilet paper. I called the front desk to request some. An hour later, no toilet paper. I consider that somewhat of an emergency. I had to call a second time & was told housekeeping was "very busy."

Overall, not a positive experience for us. I would not have stayed here if they weren't hosting the convention.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the outside, not facing the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I want to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for your less than satisfactory experience here during your daughters dance convention.

The staffing issues that you have described should absolutely not have happened and I will be addressing this situation with our management staff to ensure that every convention is properly staffed. We pride ourselves in the amount of space we offer groups for meetings and conventions and it is our goal to continuously strive to provide a comfortable and relaxing stay to our guests. I apologize that you did not experience our 100% and I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had an early morning flight out of Denver and needed a hotel near the airport. Before booking any hotel I do two things: (1) I check my Citibank card rewards account to see if I can get a good deal on a hotel in my target area, and (2) I check TripAdvisor to see if any of the hotels found in step 1 have good reviews. This time, the Crowne Plaza was the winner. Any trepidation I had evaporated when I pulled into the parking lot; I immediately realized that this was a large, conference-quality hotel.

The lobby was huge and impressively decorated, and the registration desk staff was friendly and welcoming (and I should mention that they use freestanding kiosks instead of a single long desk, a design touch I immediately liked). As soon as I began the trek to the elevators, I saw that there was some kind of conference going on: there were girls in athletic uniforms everywhere. I was a little worried about noise, but my room was at the far end of an upper floor and the young athletes seemed to be mostly on the lower floors.

My room was on the small side, but beautifully decorated in a modernistic style and had the full range of amenities. Wi-fi was free (oddly enough, free Internet seems to be rare in more posh hotels). I stopped in at the business center to print my boarding pass and had it all to myself, and spent a relaxing hour by the pool.

I had dinner out (there are plenty of restaurants a short drive away), and I left early the next morning and didn't have time for breakfast, so I can't comment on the hotel's dining options. Overall, though, it was a pleasant stay and I'd gladly stay here again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Don W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review,

We are glad that you enjoyed our recently renovated decor and hotel design. It is our goal to try and make every guest comfortable and provide an enjoyable stay, one reason why we have our business center and complimentary WIFI.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

First off, I got a GREAT price for this room on Hotwire, so I didn't have a lot of $ on the line as far as expectations go. We used the shuttle to the hotel after dropping off our rental car, and it was very prompt. When I had called to get the shuttle, the person who answered the phone was not friendly and made me feel kind of like my call was an inconvenience, so my hopes weren't high when I got the same girl for check-in. Check-in was a little bit better, although she did interrupt what she was doing with us to take care of someone else without excusing herself. When she came back she was nicer and more helpful.

The hallway leading to a room in the very back corner of the 4th floor really, really needed to be vacuumed. It was about eight o'clock at night, but still it should have been cleaner. The room itself was clean and nice, except that there was so sofa chair to sit in, although there was clearly room for one. That meant either watch TV from the desk chair or the bed. I expected more from the Crowne Plaza brand. The bed was comfortable though, and the amenities in the bathroom were very nice.

We were able to easily print our boarding passes in the business center at no charge. The next morning shuttle was prompt and polite. I would stay here again if I got a great deal, no way would I pay the $129 they were looking for on their website.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the atrium unless you want a great view of storage containers and industrial s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your review,

We appreciate any and all feedback from our guests and we encourage our guests to share with the hotel staff if the amenities of the room are not up to par so that we can do everything in our power to try and rectify the situation to make sure you are comfortable.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently stayed one night at this hotel. It was a disappointing experience. I think the fairest reviews use pros and cons, so here goes:

Pros:
Check in staff courteous.
King Bed was comfortable.
Morning shuttle was on time and driver courteous.
Breakfast buffet is adequate, if not the service.

Cons:
Shuttle at airport pulled up and offered no help with baggage, however did get out to help an air crew.

Room reserved was "not available". I reserved this hotel specifically because it had "king room with sofabed". We were offered a room with two beds, which was unacceptable. So was the rollaway that was eventually provided as my son is 6'1 and the rollaway is about 5'9. It meant an uncomfortable night. In the reservation I was very specific about the product that I wanted, but the front desk clerk informed me that "we do not guarantee room categories".

Our checkin was pretty late in the evening, and so the rollaway was promised ASAP. ASAP in this hotel is about 40 minutes later after you call to remind them. Then, the fellow who brought the bed basically rolled it into the room all folded up and said "I'd help you set it up but my shift is over" and walked out. The sheets and one blanket were attached all folded up. I never had to make my hotel bed before.

There was no hot water for a shower. A cold shower late at night is pretty awful, especially when everything else you counted on didn't happen. The manager said "no one else is reporting this" when I reported it. He did offer to send an engineer but I was too tired and disgusted. In the morning the hot water showed up.

In the morning I usually go and get coffee for myself and my husband. A plastic cup of Coffee is $2.50, despite the included breakfast in our room rate.

The breakfast is fine, however apparently more than one cup of coffee is not forthcoming. We waited hopefully looking at the staff but were studiously ignored.

I have stayed at Crowne Plazas in the past and have usually found their product consistent and good. I counted on that reputation for a reliable experience, however nothing was right, and when all you really want is a hot shower and a bed for the night and they mess it up, it is frustrating. Despite all of the problems and the fact that I reported them immediately, the manager did nothing to fix them. In my general experience when a hotel doesn't have the room that you booked, they upgrade, not downgrade. Not this one. This hotel is poor and there are much better values elsewhere close to DIA.

Room Tip: Do not count on any special requests or getting what you reserved.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PhiladelphiaWills

Hello and thank you for your honest review of our hotel,

I want to apologize for the fact that you did not receive the room that you wanted during your stay and for the slow reaction from our staff. I also want to apologize for your shower experience, and I will be addressing this review with our hotel staff to determine who was on duty that night. It is incredibly important to me and our staff that our guests needs be met and expectations exceeded and I apologize that you did not experience this first hand during your stay.

I would love if you would email me the next time you are staying in the Denver area, you can email me at DENAU@jqh.com and I will be sure to take care of you during you next stay.

Don Woodin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Cambria hotel & suites Denver International Airport
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Denver Airport at Gateway Park
Hyatt Place Denver Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Denver International Airport
Econo Lodge Denver International Airport
Residence Inn Denver Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr? Share your experiences!