“Unmet expectations”

Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr
Ranked #87 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel falls way short of my expectations for a 4 star hotel. I had to move to a second room because the smell of mildew in the first room was unbearable. They missed my wake-up call. The bathroom had two lotions but no shampoo. And the toilet wasn't level/flush with the floor so it was wobbly when you sat on it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Don W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Wil,

I want to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay at our hotel. We are currently looking into the mildew smell so that we can make sure all rooms meet each guests standards for cleanliness. I also want to apologize on behalf of our front desk staff for your missed wake-up call, we stress the importance of wake-up calls to our front desk because we know the importance of being on time to flights.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future when traveling to Denver. If you do plan to travel to Denver in the near future, please email us at denau@jqh.com with the subject line reading: TripAdvisor and we will take care of you.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

On the good side, this hotel lacks little: if it were given more money by corporate to improve, I don't know what it would "add." There is a beautiful waterfall in the main open area, surrounded by many clusters of comfy chairs and tables: multiple meetings were being informally held in this area, almost similar to a Starbucks seating area, but much, much nicer. The hotel has a great workout area, and separately a pool with a hot tub. The business center has large-screen computer displays with printers available as well. The restaurant offers a very nice breakfast buffet until 11 each day for only $12.95, and then other food until midnight. The bar is also in this inner court, and was doing a better business each night than real bars in the area (There's othing like walking home instead of needing to drive afterwards!). And the rooms were all sufficiently nice, up to normal Crowne Plaza standards. HOWEVER, the weakest link is the skelton night staff, which is both undermanned and mismanaged: the airport pickup took over half an hour after I called (even though the front desk estimated, "... Five to ten minutes, so stand outside and be ready.")... and then ended up being packed with people! Not really an issue, until the shuttle arrives at the hotel and cannot even get close to the front door because three other shuttles are just parked in front, waiting for their drivers to return in the morning. The front desk phone just rings and rings; even when I resorted to calling into the hotel from an outside line, the phone went unanswered until the phone company ended the call. Final injury: we were promised a crib upon check-in, and yet when one had not arrived after an hour, and I called down to inquire (no answer, even after putting the phone on speaker to let it ring and ring, so I walked down to the apparently overwhelmed front desk staff, they informed, "We ran out, but haven't been able to call you yet." If this hotel doubled the night staff through midnight, and replaced the current night manager for failure to recognize and take ownership of his team's shortfalls, then it really could become a great Crowne Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your review.

We rely on our guest feedback in order to make changes to better our service and amenities. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to our guests and we appreciate your recommendation of adding night staff, which is something we will take deeply into consideration after reading through your review.

We are glad that the rest of your stay met your expectations and we hope that you will consider staying at Crowne Plaza DIA again when traveling to Denver.

Safe travels!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great front desk staff, very smooth check-in.
No complaint about the room: perhaps putting in a bottle of water would be a nice touch..
Good breakfast and nice hall. Rate not the cheapest but I don't know if other hotels around the airport are aligned.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Megan L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Hello and thank you for your review.

We love to hear about how our staff is doing. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to our guests and we appreciate any and all feedback.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for 2 days in July, thoroughly enjoyed it. The front-desk service was prompt, better than I've had in many other hotels. The rooms are clean and well-equipped. The breakfast service is good and reasonably priced. The atrium is nice, with a fountain and relaxing music, and the craft beers served at the bar are amazing, including many locally brewed ones. The pool is small but decent. And there is a shuttle to take you to the airport.

The only downsides: cleaning forgot to replace coffee near coffee maker (they seem to be overwhelmed with so many rooms and not enough staff) and the hotel accidentally charged my card an extra $50, which they resolved quickly, though not without my having to call their accounting office to resolve the matter.

Overall, I recommend this place if it works out for your travel plans.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback because it is our goal to provide our guests with the best stay possible in a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. We recently updated many parts of the hotel, including the atrium and we are glad to hear you enjoyed our recent updates.

At any time, feel free to call the front desk to request coffee and other amenities that come standard in Crowne Plaza Hotels.

We hope to see you again,
Sincerely

Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in March during a stopover between flights. We immediately realised we had stayed here for a night in July 2010, too. Both nights were booked through bids on Priceline.

The hotel was reasonable and well situated. The lobby and rooms are a little dated and the service isn't quite as good as the nearby Hyatt. The beds are comfortable and they have free wifi, which is all we really want, and we found it good value.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your review,

We are continuously working to better our hotel, service and amenities to provide the best possible stay for our guests and we take no review lightly. We apologize if you did not receive the absolute best service possible, but we are glad that you found our beds comfortable and our free WIFI useful.

We hope that you will continue to patronize our hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza at DEN and on the surface, it's a pretty nice hotel. However, when I pulled back the sheets, there were bugs in the bed. I called for someone to come and look at them to see if the problem could be remedied. The housekeeping staff sent a delightful person with limited English skills to offer to change the sheets. I tried to explain that I wanted someone to look at the bugs to see if the problem was more involved than the sheets. After the second trip to my room, she actually observed the bugs. She then asked, "You move?". At the late hour it was and with an early shuttle, I asked, "Do you have something nearby?" Of course, the only appropriate answer was, "Don't know." I slept on the couch. When I checked out, the front desk staff was completely unaware of the drama. They were horrified and asked for my email. She was certain I would receive an apology from the manager at the very minimum and quite likely, a refund of the room charge. Three weeks and counting - no communication from the hotel. As a Priority Club Platinum member, I can'texpress my disappointment. I will not return to this property.

Room Tip: Check your bedding immediately upon check-in.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve R
Megan L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate the feedback and thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. One behalf of Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts everywhere, we apologize for the time it took us to reach out to you.

As we stated when we contacted you directly, the situation has management's full attention and a professional has been brought in to ensure that our rooms are free from pests. We thank you again, and we hope that in the future you will let us prove to you that your experience was the exception and not the rule.

Megan Larsen
Hotel Management

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Overnight stay for flight out of DIA. Great room and good nights sleep however there were a couple of minor problems, this is a Crowne Plaza with prices that reflect that, the printer would not work in the business centre and most people who were in there were checking in for flights and could not print the boarding passes. The Duty Manager allowed me to use the terminal at the check in desk so problem solved.
In the room the plug in the sink was broken and only one condiment pack was left (Yes I got the black coffee!!) very minor points but a Crowne Plaza has an image to uphold.
One other problem having paid for an advance purchase with breakfast which also included an additional $15 for the second persons breakfast, on arrival as a platinum member I was given 2 complimentary breakfast tokens.When I queried this the $15 was deducted promptly.
All above very minor and do not let them put you off using this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We were made aware that the printer was not working and took steps to ensure customer satisfaction immediately afterward. Please, always inform us of non-working amenities so that we can take appropriate measures to fix them and make sure that you experience the best stay possible.

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future,
Hotel Management