“A mixed bag, very hard to find.”

Courtyard Denver Stapleton
Ranked #74 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Woodbury, Minnesota
“A mixed bag, very hard to find.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Even though I am repeating what many others have stated, I feel I must say it too. This place is hard to find. Most GPS's can't pinpoint it and neither can most of the sites like Mapquest. Not only does that make finding the hotel hard, but it also screws up any directions you might print off using the hotel as your starting point. We routinely got sidetracked or outright lost trying to get places.

The hotel is located back in a very industrial area. It appeared freshly remodeled and the rooms were nice. We had 3 rooms and all had moth issues. Two of our three parties had to actually move rooms due to all the moths that had gotten in. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and comped breakfast for the trouble. I know moths are pretty resourceful and can get in small places, but I would hope the hotel would investigate a solution.

The lobby is very nice with lots of seating areas and computers that actually work. I would actually rate the property itself as above average, but have to deduct for the location and the moths.

The staff was exceptional. Very nice and cherry. They actually seemed to enjoy serving the guests and were not just "going through the motions" Robert was especially professional and helpful.

At the end of the day, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel based strictly on it's location. As an out of towner, I really value a place that I can find easily and a place that I get to other places easily from. This hotel fails miserably at that.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jodie W, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'd like to apologize for your experience with moths in your room. As great as Denver is, the city acts as a hub for Miller Moth migration, and we do our best to minimize the amount that make their way into the hotel. As for the directions, we are continually working to improve how our guests are guided to our hotel and we hope to have a resolution shortly. I'm happy to hear the positive feedback about our staff. We take pride in our high level of service. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope with some improvements to the way GPS providers direct guests to our hotel, we can have you as a guest again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Below is a note that I sent to a Marriott Guest Services representative, to give them a heads up on my dissatisfaction. I agree with the other comments that the hotel is a little hard to find. There is a frontage road which late at night is not really easy to see, and I wound up going back down the main road towards I-70 and had a tough time getting a chance to make a U turn. If you are heading south off of the I - 70 interchange, you need to make two lefts to get onto the frontage road, just make sure you overshoot the main road by a few feet to complete the second left and you will be fine. Down at the Marriott Courtyard, pay attention to your location as there is not really a lighted sign directing you to the right. I did not miss it, as the building is large enough, but a sign would help.

I do agree that the hotel is quiet and the carpet is newer. The bed is not uncomfortable, but I did have some concerns as noted below. I think they could re-do their pillows as the other comment said. There are definitely better courtyards, but this one is priced lower and still fairly convenient for a flight out of DEN in the morning.

Here is my note to the hotel:

Thank you for the offer of a free breakfast (letter under the door). It was a nice surprise, being only a silver level member. Unfortunately when I went down to have breakfast I was told that my breakfast had already been used and that I could speak with a manager. I showed my driver’s license and again was told I could speak with a manager.

Having a flight out that morning, I decided this was too much of a hassle and left. It was only 6:50 AM, so I was not in the best a spirits having arrived late to your hotel, then night before.

I also want to share two other issues. When I pulled back the comforter on the bed, I noticed some stains on the sheet, at night I thought they may be dried blood, in the morning, I think they may have been brown makeup. Needless to say, that with the fact that the sheets seemed excessively wrinkled, made for less than a comfortable night. They did not smell, so I presume that they were clean, although stains are not really acceptable to me.

I had spent the two previous nights at the Hampton Inn in Lakewood and they have a sticky note on the bed indicating that both the sheets and the comforter had been washed for my stay.

Finally, and this is really minor, but added to my overall dissatisfaction, the pen on the night stand had been chewed and the ink portion had been removed. In other words, it was just the plastic holder, not a pen.

To me Marriott is the most consistent of the brands that I stay at, but my experience at your hotel made me rethink that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jodie W, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel and your positive comments. We are in the process of upgrading our bedding linens and replacing our pillows with a different size and specification. I would like to discuss your comments regarding the breakfast concerns you had personally if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel. You can reach me by calling the hotel at 303-333-3303 and asking for the General Manager. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to you staying with us on your next visit to Denver.
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was very disappointed with this experience. I have come to expect a certain level of quality from Courtyard hotels, and I do not believe Marriott corporate would be happy with this particular hotel.

First of all, it is exceedingly difficult to find. While I recognize that this particular hotel has virtually no control over the location, the surrounding roads, or a GPS's ability to find the location, the difficulty we had finding it would be enough to keep us from ever returning. The most frustrating thing is that we could see the hotel from the highway but simply could not find a way to get to It. There are way too many other good hotel options to put up with the difficult location.

Once we got to the hotel, we were again disappointed. The lobby has clearly gone through a recent renovation and looks nice, and the rooms have new furnishings as well. However, the room renovations are largely surface level. There is new paint, new wallpaper, and new decor. However, the bathrooms need renovations as well. The tiles are old and dated and appear rather dirty even when freshly cleaned.

At first glance, our first room seemed okay, but upon closer inspection there were several stains on the coverlet. A couple even appeared to be small blood stains. We immediately requested a new room and were allowed to view a second option. By this point. I was so tired that I was willing to accept just about anything. There were a few stains on the coverlet in the new room, but they were less noticeable and appeared to be old, set-in stains. I was ready to let it slide, but my boyfriend requested fresh linens be put on the bed. After quite a wait, brand new linens were brought and put on the bed.

The service has been excellent. The gentleman in the front lobby was quick to respond to our requests and very apologetic. The woman who took care of the sheets was very friendly and responsive as well. She, too, apologized repeatedly. I do not blame these two for the issues we had at all. Instead, I believe there is an issue at managerial level. Specifically, I feel there is an issue with the housekeeping managerial staff. It is their job to monitor the cleanliness and freshness of the linens.

All of these issues being combined, we simply will not return to this particular location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jodie W, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments about our staff. They take much pride in taking care of our guests. We have followed up and addressed the concerns you mentioned regarding the bedding in our hotel. We have upgraded and replaced much of our bedding over the past few months. We continue to work with GPS providers to update their information and make the corrections on directions to our hotel. Thank you again for staying with us during your time in Denver.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

As a Fan of Marriott properties, I was not disappointed. Rooms are clean and well taken care of. Staff is friendly and easy to deal with. Business Center is excellent with a nice view over the Courtyard. Exercise facility is basic equipped with Elliptical, Stationary Bike, Two Treadmills and Weights. Free Wifi was plenty fast for me. Location is close to shopping, movie theaters and restaurants, but you need a car. As mentioned locating the Hotel is tricky, but they do send you directions that work.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive evaluation of our hotel. We will be sure to share you comments with our staff. We thank you for your business and look foreward to being of service to you again on your next visit to Denver.
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel to have your business meetings, this is the place to stay! I have never received such professional service! The location is good for restaurants and shops;however the only negative is finding the frontage road tobarrie at te hotel. Prior to my stay the hotel did send me an email stayin my garmen may not take me to the correct location, do they sent me written instructions which was a great help.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you very much for your positive evaluation of our hotel. I will share your comments with our staff. We look forward to your next visit and being of service to you again in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Courtyard in Salt Lake City Utah, is in much better condition and offers complimentary breakfast. This location had a few issues, including a room 2 doors away with a barking dog!!!???
Décor is newish, but still feels retro. Staff is very attentive, location is close to airport, lobby is comfortable and location is quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments about our staff and service. The Courtyard brand does not offer complimentary breakfast due to our restaurants being open to the public, however, when you are making reservations for the future, you might be interested to know that we also have rates that include breakfast. We are looking forward to a guest room renovation scheduled to occur in 2014.
Cumbria
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed two nights here in January as its quite close to the Stockshow arena and we wanted to see the Rodeo. We'd visited Denver before and didn't feel the need to go into the city again so this was a good location for our needs. Like previous reviewers we found it difficult to get to even though we could see the sign of the hotel - very frustrating! We were greeted very warmly by Kelsey on the front desk who gave us 3 or 4 locations on where we could get an evening meal - nothing in walking distance though. The room was clean and comfortable as we would expect from any of the Marriott chain. We did get some noise from the highway as the building is located just off it but it didn't spoil our stay. Breakfast was a selection of hot and cold foods - we chose scrambled eggs and bacon with wheat toast and it was quite tasty - self service with waitress for hot drinks. We had booked the room with breakfast but when we checked in we discovered it was breakfast for one only - very strange - but Kelsey changed it for us so we could both eat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jodie W, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Stapleton, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. We will be sure to share with our staff. They enjoy being recognized by our guests. I am glad you enjoyed the National Western Stock Show. It is one of our staff's favorite events and love engaging with our guests. We understand the challange with GPS systems getting guests to our hotel and not always the most efficient routes. We do email out directions to our guests prior to arrival if a reservation has an email listed. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to being of service to you on your next visit to Denver.