“Good location, but not good”

Holiday Inn Express Denver Downtown
Ranked #74 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The best part of this hotel is the location. It is in a very convenient location for walking around the downtown area. I was in town for a conference during a very busy week in Denver and this was the only room I could find in the company price range.

The room layout was nice for my corner room. Big windows stretching around the entire room with a rounded corner was nice. The size was small I guess, but as a New Yorker living in Manhattan I thought the size was fine considering this is a downtown location.

The major problem is the cleanliness and general rundown-ness of the hotel. My shower was finicky. I could never completely make water only come out of the showerhead and not the faucet. 50% of the time my tub wouldn't drain while in the shower so I would end up standing in a 4 inch puddle of water by the end of the shower. I made the mistake of knocking off the sheet covering the comforter on my bed to reveal a few stains. The bath towels are very thin and there were noticeable blue and red makeup stains on one of the clean towels placed in my room.

The free breakfast in the morning was okay. Hash browns, sausage, scrambled egg, waffle machine, and cereals were okay and nice to have access too when on the go.

The free wifi is terrible. On the 16th floor it was completely unusable. I had to take of my business on the bottom floor.

Also the walls of the rooms were a little thin. Definitely things I could hear through the walls from my neighbors, but they were pretty considerate and quiet during evening hours.

There are definitely worse places to end up, but if you are on a tighter budget and care about location this will work. Otherwise I would recommend looking elsewhere. My other co-workers seemed to have better experiences in the hotel during our stay so maybe it varies room to room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
COHospitalityGuru, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

I thank you for your positive comments about our complimentary breakfast and for your affirmation that your co-workers had a good experience. I also thank you for expressing your comments about the housekeeping, engineering, and WIFI discrepancies you faced. I am proud to announce that our newly upgraded internet network offers connections of greater than 100mbs; this means our new network will be lightning fast for your business needs.

I humbly request you keep us in mind on your next trip to the Denver area. I would like the chance to show you the improvements we are working on and personally make sure that you enjoy your stay just as much as your co-workers.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Two friends and I were passing through Denver for only one night and wanted to stay downtown, but NOT pay the price of almost $300 to do so. This Comfort Inn was a perfectly acceptable hotel to meet our needs and with a cost of only $150 for the night...

It is definitely an older hotel, but the bath and beds were clean and when you figure in the price of breakfast (waffles, eggs, sausage, yogurt, cereal, muffins, toast, juice, coffee) being included too it was a HUGE bargain. If the 3 of us had eaten breakfast out in the area we would have spent at least $15/each. So, if you subtract that, then the room itself only cost us $100 for the night.

For anyone staying in Denver longer who want to take advantage of the 16th Street Mall this location couldn't be more perfect. I wish I'd had a little longer in Denver on this trip.

If you are driving there is a mandatory $25.00/day valet parking service. If you've ever tried to find parking in downtown Denver, trust me, this is totally worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for two nights prior to beginning a Tour of the mid West. I was a bit concerned as I had read a few negative reports about this hotel, however I am delighted to say we had a wonderful stay in this most comfortable hotel. The staff were most helpful and the complimentary breakfast was a bonus. When the Management learned my husband was celebrating a special birthday they provided two yummy cream cakes to enjoy with our afternoon tea. The Hotel is ideally situated being just a few blocks from the 16th Mall with its free hop on/hop off trolley; restaurants/bars/shops and within easy walking distance of the beautiful State Capital Building; the Denver Art Museum and the Mint (Book well in advance if you would like a tour of the Mint).
A linking corridor from this Hotel leads to the famous Brown`s Palace Hotel where affternoon tea is available followed by great cocktails, all this whilst listening to the pianist! There are also two delightful restaurants in the Brown`s Palace, but book in advance to ensure a table.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room on a hiigh floor.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Can't beat the price and location. The hotel provides free parking if needed. They have a decent free breakfast. The work out room is well equiped but a little small. Walking distance to many good restaurants and the 16th street mall. Good friendly service. Our TV did not work the last night we stayed and they discounted our room for our next trip. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ComfortDenverFD, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear JDK78,

You said it, "Can't beat the price and location" and "friendly service." Thank you for telling the world about our efforts to provide an affordable hotel alternative in the heart of downtown Denver. We provide all our guests the value of a complementary hot breakfast, the value of complementary WIFI, the the value of convenient overnight parking in the city for only $25, not to mention the value of amazing staff service. We are honored you will join us again.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

After our stay in our fairly expensive but basic NY hotel, we were worried about staying here as it was so much cheaper but we neednt have worried. From the moment we were met by the Valets to when we checked out we couldnt fault the friendly, welcoming service. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who went out of their way to help in any way that they could. The check in was quick and smooth, our room was HUGE, clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with so much choice, we even took fruit and pastries up to our room with no complaints, unlike many other hotels.
The location for Downtown Denver and the Airport was briliant. Loved the 16th St tram and the wide selection of shops and restaurants there. Thanks to the staff at Hard Rock Cafe for a wonderful, entertaining night at their trivia night. the quiz master ensured that we two lonely brits were fully included in the proceedings.
Would definately stay here again

Dear Vivienne W,

It should not be a game of trivia to find a welcoming, clean, affordable, and convenient hotel. I am glad you found your correct answer was the Comfort Inn Downtown. I am thankful you took the time out of your travels to share your comments with us. Every member of our staff fondly provides the service and comforts you expect from a much more expensive hotel. We value your choice to stay with us, and await your return.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Booked this hotel and was a bit worried by some of the previous reviews, but it turns out they were competely unfounded. The hotel is central, being connected to the Brown Palace by walkway. It is clean, comfortable and our room on the 16th floor was spacious. Bed was comfy, room was immaculate the whole week, thank you housekeeping! Best of all was the ever helpful staff and I will mention Charity by name as she was great. Nothing was too much trouble and she gave us better directions to one of the outlying malls than the Denver Visitors Centre did. Breakfast was included and there was a good choice, something for everyone. I would have no hesitation staying here again.

Dear Suitcase-Susie,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize the outstanding efforts made by Charity. It pleased me greatly bringing your comments to our team meeting and giving her the news. We try hard to make each one of our guests experience the service you received. We look forward to seeing you back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here for two nights at the beginning of a tour. The hotel is in an excellent location, perfectly situated for exploring downtown Denver. The room was clean, comfortable and had good facilities. The included breakfast was also good with a wide range of hot and cold foods. I would certainly stay again on a future visit to Denver and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo