“So-So Super8”

Ranked #114 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Bristol, Connecticut
“So-So Super8”
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I arrived to Denver for business, got to the Super 8 and checked-in. The front desk person was nice and helpful, but I never saw her again after the first day during my 3 night stay. I got room 210 and there was no elevator so I had to lug my bags upstairs. When I first arrived I liked the room, especially the little kitchenette which I was not expecting. The kitchenette had its own little fridge, micro, coffee maker and sink. The room also had a nice TV, it’s own iron & ironing board. It was nice to have the 2nd sink. However, the sink by the vanity mirror I soon discovered had no cold water. When I asked the manager/owner the next day if someone can fix the cold water, he acted surprised and said it would be hard for him to find the maintenance person so he'll just switch me to another room which will be "better" anyways because it's got two beds. I was already settled into the room I had and really didn't want to switch because mine had a view of my car and that little kitchenette. He gave me a room across the hall (no view of my car). The room was a totally different configuration which was much tighter as it included two beds instead of just the one king which is all I wanted and no little kitchenette. The manager let me hold on to both keys so I can get situated, but since I had to go to work, I didn't have time to swap my stuff. When I got back from work that night, I was exhausted and decided to just keep the first room. I told the manager the next morning (around 8:00 am) that I was keeping the first room. He acted a bit squeamish saying the 2nd room was better because it had two beds (why do I need two beds and how is that better??). I told him I thought it was much tighter, didn't have a kitchenette and didn't give me a view of my car. He reluctantly agreed and said he would check out the cold water problem in room 210 later on. What happened to the maintenance guy he had trouble finding? I guess he lied because he's the maintenance guy. I stopped by the room around noon on my lunch break and the manager told me he didn't get a chance to fix the cold water. I could tell he was lying as it probably didn't even cross his mind to do so. When I got back around 6:30 PM, the front desk people didn't even look up to say hello and I noticed he never came to the room to fix the cold water problem. This didn't bother me too much but I realized the manager has probably known about this room not having cold water at the vanity sink all along and has no intention to fix it. This made me feel bad 'cause I realized the guy's been lying to me the whole time. Then on my last night there, a huge spider crawled up on my bed and onto my laptop screen which freaked me out a bit. By the way, the Internet connection was spotty and pretty slow. At around 8:15 the breakfast was all but gone. Overall, the room was ok but the lack of help from the manager and his lies means I won't be staying at this super 8 again nor can I recommend it. It’s a shame because it had potential.

• Liked — kitchenette, iron & ironing board, roomy
  • Disliked — spotty internet, no cold water at vanity and that big spider
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Naguabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed March 1, 2008

To stay at an America's Best Value Inn, you make a reservation from a centralized reservation center. We could not find any contact information anywhere on the internet for the specific location where we would stay. The Denver location is advertised as being very close to the airport. The published rate for the room we wanted was $75. The representative on the phone confirmed that the location was near the Denver Airport and that the room would be $75. But before the reservation was finalized she said the room would actually be $85/night. I gave my credit card info to make the reservation for one night anyway, because we were getting in late to the airport and wanted something nearby. Later I received a confirmation e-mail and noticed there was some incorrect information about how many persons were in our party. I called directly to the hotel to clear it up (their number was provided in the e-mail). The person at the front desk said they had no record of our reservation. I called the reservation center and they claimed that their fax machine may have been down at the time, but they would resubmit our reservation to the Denver location. A few days later, I received my credit card statement, and saw that I had been charged for the night's stay. I called the reservation center to find out why. They said the Denver branch made the charge, call them. I called them, they had no record of the charge or our reservation. After a few more calls back and forth, I thought my reservation was set.

When we arrived in Denver, we rented our car and followed the directions to America's Best Value Inn, Denver. It ended up being about half an hour's drive from the airport (not my idea of close). We walked from our car past the broken water spigot (on full blast) to the lobby. The person at the front desk (whom I had spoken to during my several calls) said they had no reservation for us. I showed the clerk my printed confirmation e-mail and a copy of the credit card statement that showed the pre-existing charge. We refused to hand over our credit card for the check-in for fear that we would be charged again. After some reluctance, the front desk clerk photocopied our documents and let us check in without submitting our credit card. The room, the pool, the breakfast were OK. We had a lovely view of a back alley and graffiti-covered garage from our window. Anyway, a couple weeks later, when our next credit card bill arrived, we had been charged again for the one night stay. Apparently they had some record of our reservation since they had our credit card info from the call center. I had to spend hours on the phone (with the same front desk clerk) before they finally agreed to refund one of the charges.

The hotel is located on one of those ugly, modern strips with a couple of malls on the other side of the highway and a couple of office parks adjacent. On the up-side, for you foodies considering a stay here: though all of the other restaurants in the area seem to close after happy hour, America's Best Value is conveniently located next to a gourmet "Sonic" location. The potato crispers and charred burgers are easily the tastiest, greasiest food you'll find within an eight-block radius! The only food, in fact . . .

Stay away.

• Liked — Driving away
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Colorado
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I just wanted a cheap room after a long flight. This isn't an airport-area hotel, but it's right near a more expensive hotel that I'd left my car at for a park-and-fly. Didn't want to pay that other hotel's rates just to get 8 hours sleep and be able to telecommute to work in the morning until lunch. So I figured "how bad can it be?". I've stayed at Super 8s before and knew it would be a budget. low-amenities motel.

1. Check-in took forever. Well literally 5 minutes while the clerk seemed to struggle with the computer.

2. Room key didn't work - because the door lock on the room was busted and the handle flopping down loose.

3. Get keycard to a different room (120, the "handicap room") and get in. At this point I'm so tired I don't really care too much - but then notice that the window is broken. Cracked section almost ready to fall out into the parking lot area - which as others have noted isn't really "family friendly". I decide to take my chances and get ready for bed.

4. Typical low-end motel bed and lumpy pillows. Not necessarily worse than expected, clean enough. Sheets that don't even cover the entire side of the not-very-thick mattress.

5. Toilet flushes ridiculously slowly, and bathroom smells.

6. Wake up in morning, go to take a shower - water won't turn on in the shower.

7. Breakfast room - poor selection compared to most cheap motel continental breakfasts. Did have one of the waffle makers but the whole area just didn't look very clean.

Avoid this motel. If you want a $55 or thereabouts budget motel type in the Quebec St/Stapleton area, use the Comfort Inn a block north of I-70 (about 1/2 mile away from this place). That place isn't perfect either, but rooms are decent, service isn't quite as bad, and breakfast options are a lot better.

I notice the management replied to an earlier poster about how they're new managers, redecorated, etc. To be fair, the room decor was quite attractive for a budget motel, TV was larger and better than often found (27" remote, large channel selection vs the expected 19" fuzzy thing). But let's get the basics of safe, functional rooms down - not wallpaper with nice trim.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank fuzzy_wanderer
Oceanside
Reviewed April 1, 2007

I stayed at this property last week. It seemed like a nice place, however upon check in, I was very uncomfortable by th epeople lurking in the parking lot and the lobby. Later about a half dozen police cars were here followed by the fire department. A police officer said that somebody had set up a drug lab.

The officer said that the Hotel is plauged with problems
Do not stay here!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Security Issues and Lack Of Safety
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Pauandwendy
Cumming GA
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Arrived in the Denver area late and check in was fast but front desk clerk smelled of alcohol. Rooms are dated, furniture is cheap. Window overlooked a neighborhhood like a trailer park.
The area is trying to come back and there is a new shopping area across the street that is very nice and convenient with several restaurants. Bottom line is...it is right off the interstate, we were not disturbed by other guests noise...the price was very reasonable. If you are simply looking for a place to sleep and can overlook the age of the place, this would be fine. I wouldn't really feel safe staying here by myself though.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Grannyto3
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We requested for a non-smoking room and were "given" one. We went in to the room and the cigarette smell was unbearable. My wife was very upset and called the front desk to request for a change of room but the staff insisted that our room is a non-smoking room and we can't change it. We asked them why is it that there are 2 ashtrays in the room if it's a non-smoking room but they didn't reply us. And we also told them that there is no "non-smoking" sign above our room number whereas there are a few rooms with that sign. Isn't it obvious that the room given to us was a smoking room?

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Buyer Beware,

I had a " Lady" knock on my door and ask me if I was " Looking for Company".

I felt very unsafe at this Hotel. Alot of people in the hallways and parking lots at all hours of the night.

They need to hire Security!

Stayed July 2006