“Rude Staff, Expensive and small”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #64 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton
“Rude Staff, Expensive and small”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I booked my hotel through the SPG website and had stayed in Starwood hotels for over 5 years and I was pleased with the service at this company's hotels. When I got to the hotel it seemed nice enough and the staff were polite while I checked in. I was staying in an executive suite and was heading up to the club lounge but my room card did not work. I went back to my room, and called down to the front desk. I was informed that it would be an additional $20 for club lounge access (on a ~$310 room) and I would be moved to a club level room (a lower quality room). I went down to the front desk (in a different building) to speak with a manager about this, and again he was rude and not at all helpful. These are just the issues I had with the staff not to mention the rest of the hotel, which are listed below.

There have been numerous complaints, on this site, about the lack of free WIFI, but management has ignored it. My room had 2 TVs in it, but only 1 of the 2 remotes worked (unless you were within 2 feet of the TV). The menus on the TVs did not work. The food menu was bland and lackluster with very little variety. The staff was rude when problems arose. The room was expensive for what was given. The bathroom in the suite was tiny. I was so fed up with this hotel that I canceled my room for the final night and stayed at the Hyatt, which was much nicer. When I complained to Starwood the manager Mike Ehmann called me and stated that his staff felt threatened by me. I am not sure how stating that I would cancel my reservation for the final night of my stay, is anything more than a customer voicing their opinion about there dissatisfaction with the level of service, but he did not solve any of my issues I had with the hotel and made it sound like I was the problem.

I wish I had a better experience with this hotel. This is the first time I have ever written about a hotel on this site and Starwood lost a customer over this debacle.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I usually dont write reviews on hotels, but I have to say i was not all that impressed with the sheraton. When we first checked in, they told us that they were a two buliding property and we would be staying in the guest towers. You take an elevator to another set ot elevators and then take those elevators to your room. Not ideal, but you can handle that. THE ROOM however was maybe a 2.5 star. there was such an odor (the type from old rooms and just unpleasant, that we called down and asked if we were on a smoking floor. they informed us that the hotel was smoke free but would have someone up to clean it. the whole weekend, we had to put up with this smell and tiny room. honestly, if you arent staying in the plaza side, dont stay here. It's like a days inn. for the pros.... The front desk is very helpful and nice. The restaurant breakfast buffet was good, not great, but good. My fiancee had an omlette he ordered, and that was great. The location is perfect, also you can catch the 16th street bus/train thing that will take you up and down 16th street which is full of things to do. overall, i dont think i would stay here again, i would probably try a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kythomas
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Where do I start. Went there for a conference. The room was incredibly small. The directions to my room were very rushed and not very clear. When I finally found the skybridge connecting the two buildings I had to drag my luggage up and down steps. If they would have just sent me to the concourse level things would have been so much easier and required a less complicated explanation. I am a FREQUENT traveler for work and often have materials shipped to myself in care of the hotel. Occasionally I am confronted with having to have the bellman bring them to me in which case I always tip. In this case however, I was informed my packages had arrived and that I could get them in the business center. When I arrived at the business center they told me there was a handling fee of $29 per box. I told them I wasn't going to pay it. It had not been disclosed to me in advance and regardless of the fact that it is hidden on the website under business center they should not assume anybody who is going to send a package to a guest or to themselves is going to intuitively know that it will go through the business center and a hefty fee will be involved and that had I known I would have either stayed elsewhere or exercised one of several alternatives for delivery. After complaining to three people and questioning the legality of this process the boxes were delivered to my room and I did tip $10. After I returned I received a rather backhanded customer is always wrong e-mail from the "Director of Rooms" disguised as an apology and making sure to point out that it was on their website. By the way, prior to the trip I had never looked at the website I only called them by googleing denver sheraton downtown and calling te number listed with google. In addition, the audio on the television was awful and muffled, the picture kept blacking out, Internet was more than $10/day and limited data usage and was a poor signal on both my laptop and ipod, and the key swipe in the elevator while necessary for downtown Denver was very tempramentalb and an ongoing joke by everyone who had used it more than once. There are many Better and equally convenient places in downtown Denver. This experience will have me avoiding all sheraton's from here on out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
SheratonDenver1, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear askynot:

We were very disappointed to learn of your recent experience at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel. Our Front Office Team Members take an enormous amount of pride in welcoming our guests upon arrival to the hotel once their Journey has brought them to Denver. It appears from your comments which were share with our Team, that we felt short and were not able to fully connect with you.

Our I.M. Pei Tower guestrooms feature some rooms that are smaller than others. This famous architect designed the Tower Building in the late ‘50s and although many of our guests appreciate his architectural talent we can appreciate the challenge you had with the size of your room.
Please rest assured that we have also addressed your concerns with Penfield’s Business Center, while a privately owned organization within our hotel nevertheless is an extension of our services here at the Sheraton.
As for the internet reception in your guestroom, there certainly can be numerous variables involved such as wireless adapter settings, VPN issues, etc. We have had our IT Team investigate this as well.
I would like to invite you back to our hotel should your Journey bring you back to our Mile High City so that I may personally make your reservation and have the opportunity to restore your faith in us and the Sheraton Brand overall.

With warm regards,
Mike Ehmann

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

norman, oklahoma usa
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Pros: Great location (16th St Pedestrian Mall). Walk outside the door and you are on the mall. Cat beat that.
Cons: Parking is $28 per day. No ammenities other than the usual (pool etc.)
No free breakfast, no 'store' with food or medicines in hotel, room service hours are limited. no refrigerator in room, no microwave in room and no access to either. Hotel is very large and complicated 'security' system to access rooms and elevators. Confusing layout. Staff seems to be unhelpful and uninformed.
Not worth the money or hassle. Go to the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Denver instead. (right down the street)

California
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I enjoyed the visual lines and artistic designs of this hotel, even though the layout was a bit hard to navigate at times (as in long hike to second-floor room). Overall, a good choice for a convention or conference. Good service. Had good experience working with catering. Location is superb. Elevators were adequate.

For food, try Earl's up the street for dinner, and Intermission Cafe for $5 order-at-counter breakfast. For lunch, a local showed me a cool, organic cafe across from new museum at plaza. Don't be in a big hurry if you go there. Buffet line, but not a rapid one.

I'm not one for cramped rides in airport vans, so I opted to walk four blocks down 19th Street to city transportation garage and took city express bus for $10 one-way to airport. Good choice. Very comfortable, and driver was all business and pleasant. That saved around $40 for a cab, and I had a lot more room than on a blue shuttle. Quite a nice bus. More comfy than the jet ride home. And bus arrived on time, which is more than I can say about sitting on the jet for 95 minutes before we finally left the gate for Houston.

These days, good service goes a long way with me. Sheraton had it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
SheratonDenver1, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Dear SeekingGoodService,

We are pleased that you had an enjoyable experience with us at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel. Although our hotel may appear to be overwhelming we are really a “Gentle Giant” and our Team Members take great pride in that. Our 16th St. Mall location makes it easy to get out and explore the Mile High city and we are happy you were able to do so.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Downtown on your next trip to Denver.

Sincerely, Mike Ehmann – General Manager
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2010

If you are attending a convention at the hotel, then this property is for you, beautiful common areas and convention space.

The hotel itself is ancient, was previously a Adam's Mark and Raddison. The bathrooms are the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel, and I have stayed in 500 different hotels on several continents. Yes the rooms have been remolded but it is still old, it even smells old in the rooms probably due to the AC/Heat units from the 70s, except they installed the handy interface that turns off the AC/Heat when u leave your room wether you want it off or not (Bad in the Hot summer or Cold winter).

Calling guest services for a request or wake up call takes forever, sometimes you have to hang up and try again, they don't seem to have enough staff operating the phones.

If your not attending a convention here do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else, there are plenty of properties within a block of the 16th Street Mall where all the shopping, bars and restaurants are.

Dear CalP0ly,

We were disappointed to learn that you’re stay with us was less than satisfactory to you. Some of our I.M. Pei Tower bathrooms to your point are smaller than others. This famous architect designed the building in 1959 which may confirm your perception of the building’s age and although many of our guests appreciate his talent we can certainly understand that his style many not encompass everyone’s particular taste.

Additionally, while we pride ourselves on the outstanding service our reputation is known for; it appears our Guest Services Team has fallen short. The experience you had has been shared with them.

I would like to personally invite you to feel free to reach out to me at denversheraton1@gmail.com. You are very important to us and we value your input.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely, Mike Ehmann – General Manager
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Right from the start the staff was very curtious and helpful. Check in/out was a breeze. The rooms were spacious and clean. Being right down town, everything was pretty much within walking distance. The kids called it our apartment! :) We look forward to staying there again!