“Convenient and very nice!”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #63 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Convenient and very nice!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I want to first off thank Rita in Service Express for helping me out with my reservation.

I booked this hotel with star points and called ahead of time to make sure my reservation was set up right. Rita was very helpful. It was my first time to Denver and didn't realize that this hotel is literally right on the Denver downtown walkway. Super convenient! The front desk agent was just alright. I like having a little bit more conversation with the front desk but as she said it was a busy day, it felt very rushed. Although, I do thank her for the lovely view room.

I didn't have a chance to use the amenities but the exercise room seemed nice. We truly enjoyed our one night here but unfortunately, the Westin caught my heart so I will choose that hotel over this one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zeke R
Chuck S, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Zeester415,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay. We of course would love for you to come and visit with us again but understand where your heart is.
Tony Dunn/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
Leverett, MA
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hotel is convenient to the Convention Center - 4 blocks on one direction, 2 more perpendicular. If you wish you can ride the very frequent free bus for the 4 blocks and then walk the remaining two. There is underground parking - either self-park (which we opted for for $27 per day), or valet for a few dollars more per day. There is a bar in the restaurant and options for food. We simply wanted a place to sleep.

We arrived a bit early, near 1 PM and were told that "our" room was not yet available. I asked when the room might be available and was told that it would be in about an hour. I left my cell number when I was asked for a way they could contact me to let me know that the room was available. Sounded good. After two hours we returned to the reception and asked about the room. Still not available. I suggested that it would have been helpful to have had a call to indicate that. I was told that with 1200 rooms they can't be up on all the details. Since others were checking in I asked if some equivalent room might be available. They found one and we moved in. I did not find the reception very friendly. Polite, yes, but there was no apparent concern for us as guests.

The room itself was adequate and clean. It was not a huge room, but big enough with a good king bed. The bed was very comfortable. The heating/cooling device was a good one and maintained a consistent fan sound without the objectionable on/off noisy cycle that can be very annoying. The bathroom was clean. The drain in the bathtub had a curious plug that could be tilted (by accident) to block the drain. Once blocked, it was very hard to open the drain under the water. This is a very odd design and is not convenient. Otherwise, the bathroom worked fine and there was an adequate number of towels. The room was in the (apparently newer) Tower section and did not face the road - nice an quiet.

The hotel consists of two connected buildings and the elevators and passages take a bit of getting used to. But, a little thought and a bit of experience makes it workable.

All in all, this is an adequate place. Had the initial reception been more welcoming in several respects, the rating would be a 4 instead of a 3.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Tower section. And,in the Tower some rooms do not face the street and are li...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Chuck S, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear BobHLeverett,
Thank you for your stay. We appreciate and value your comments as it aids us in the guest perspective. I apologize for the interaction with our front desk as we do strive to make our guest feel welcome. I am encouraged that you enjoyed your stay otherwise. Please come and visit us again, we would like the opportunity to leave you with a warm welcome.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

No need to read further; you can easily get a better hotel at half the price in downtown Denver. The room we had was small, had old furnishings and there were live bugs in the bathroom sink. This combined with the hefty price tag easily makes this stay the least value for money I have every received. Avoid.

Room Tip: Room in other Hotels are better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear lasrach,
I am sorry that your experience here at the Sheraton Denver Downtown failed to exceed your expectation. I am very concerned that your room was in such a state that you provided a review such. We completed a renovation in 2009 but it appears that your room needs some additional attention, I would like to connect with you directly regarding your stay, if you could send me an e-mail at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com and provide me with contact information I will call you and appropriately apologize for this experience.
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice older hotel in prime location, but that doesn't excuse less than prime service. Upgraded to top floor, however services were curtailed due to lack of guests .... Room not cleaned very well upon arrival

Room Tip: Always ask for free upgrades and expect top service
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chuck S, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear t2amac,
Thank you for staying with us. I am disappointed to hear your experience was challenging. Please let us know if you should visit us in the future and we would like the opportunity to leave you with a memorable experience.
Tony Dunn/General Manger
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I spent week at the Denver Sheraton on business with a conference. It sits towards the end of 16th busy business section but about everything is available just outside the door within several blocks. The staff was exceptionally attentive and genuinely nice. The property is your basic business/conference property. Nothing special but comfortable with very average rooms void of any personality. I did have one outstanding dish at their restaurant which was a gourmet mac and cheese topped with braised short ribs. I'd go back just for that alone.

Green Features: They do offer the option of not having your room cleaned everyday in return for a $5 hotel credit to be used at a food outlet. I did take advantage of this.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chuck S, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear sunseeker41,
Thank you for your recent business travel stay. I am proud to hear that our team members were friendly and made you feel special. We enjoy when our guests are comfortable while away from home. We invite you to visit us again and enjoy the mac and cheese dish.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'm a huge fan of Starwood hotels. Unfortunately, this hotel did not meet expectations.

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to an exec suit (#491 I believe.) Unfortunately, the furnishings were dated, there was mold in the shower, and adjusting the water temp was very slow (minutes).

I ordered calamari for dinner. I don't expect great room service calamari, but this was terrible. It was as if they ran out of calamari and just deep fried rubber bands instead.

On top of that, they tacked on a $10 delivery charge, on top of the other charges. Every charge was listed in the room service menu except for the $10 extra fee. The delivery guy told me to take it up with the front office. When I took it up with the front office, they said I should have resolved it with the delivery guy.

The hotel overall was fine, but just not what I've come to expect from Starwood.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TwoWas
Dear TwoWas,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. I am so sorry that your experience was such a negative one. We will definitely look into the condition of your room’s furnishings, tile condition and shower performance. I would like to speak with you directly regarding you In Room Dining experience, I am unfamiliar with any $10 fee added on to all orders and to gain more information I will need your reservation information and dates of stay. Could you please send me an e-mail at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com so I can research this and provide you with the proper restitution?
Chuck Schuringa
Hotel Manager
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Very great location, right outside the 16th St. Mall and everything is walking distance. We had a rental car but didn't need it much. Parking is $27 per day; there are in and out privileges which the staff didn't explain to me at check-in. Apparently your room key has to be programmed. The (free) internet was slow and you have to call in to support to get Apple TV connected (also free). Very big hotel - the lobby, onsite restaurants, ball/meeting rooms are very impressive. The rooms, however, are a bit run down - we were on the Plaza side. The most disappointing thing was our TV - we had only a couple of channels on our first night and had to call maintenance in to fix the issue. Got a great deal on Hotwire and I would definitely stay there for the price and location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Letty S,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are proud of our location and the convenience it offers our guests during their stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope we have an opportunity to make your stay more comfortable in the future.
Tony Dunn/General Manger