“Clean, but not up to par on everything.”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was in Denver for the first time on a week-long business trip.I was excited to visit the city and to stay at the Sheraton. We got there mid-afternoon and had a fantastic check-in experience. I was helped by Francisco, who upgraded my room upon request (I had a 2 bed, city view room and asked for a king mountain view room). He was also able to upgrade my friend who had already checked in at another counter. When we asked him for recommendations for places to eat, he wrote us a list and gave directions to several local places and what they are best for (happy hour, dinner, quick meal). He honestly could not have been more helpful.

My room was in the tower building, which was a little bit of a hike, but I was able to get a high floor and a great view. The room was a good size, and very clean. The bathroom was on the smaller size, but plenty of big for me. The sliding mirror door on the closet was busted, and the way they 'fixed' it made it very difficult to use. The gap under the main door was also VERY high, making for a lot of light to slip through the door, along with the noise. The walls in this place are THIN. Every night for a week I was woken up past midnight by people walking through the hall, my neighbor going through the closet (I could hear the hangers move and then the suitcase being zipped- thats how thin the walls were). The housekeeping staff was very nice and accommodated my request for extra hand towels daily. Housekeeping service did come very late some days (past 3pm), but nothing I couldnt work with on this trip.

One night after a very long day of meetings, I decided to order room service and go to bed early. I have ordered room service in many hotels and always had a great experience (when you pay the premium, it should all be great). I ordered calamari, a salad with salmon and a glass of milk at 6pm. Easy, right? Wrong. The food came to my door at 6:40 by a very pleasant young woman. I signed the bill and off she went. I opened my appetizer and was surprised that there was some calamari, but mostly french fries (not on the menu- maybe a midwest thing?). They were fine, came with cocktail sauce instead of marinara, but it was all good.

Moved onto my salad..... and my salmon was raw. Like, cold in the middle, looks like it was just flipped in a pan once to cook the outside and put on the plate. There was no way I could eat it. It was now 7pm. I called down and they apologized and said someone would bring a new salad up immediately. I waited a half hour and still nothing. I called back and the woman seemed surprised I was still waiting, said she would check on it. Waited another thirty minutes and called down. Got a man this time, who said that my ticked had been escalated to the manager and he would check on it- its now 8pm. Another half hour and another call- same answer. Finally a few minutes shy of 9pm my salad finally arrives by someone who just says, this was cooked well done so it should be fine, then he took my old pate and left. No apology, just annoyance that they had to bring me something else. Not for anything, but the least they could do was have the manager either pick up the phone and just call me to apologize for the wait or come up with the new food and make sure it was okay. I was charged full price for my meal. Terrible.

The conference staff was very attentive throughout the week and everything on that end went well. The hotel is in a nice area that is easy walking distance to a lot of shops and places to eat. I would say that there are a lot of people on the street which made me and my friends not go out after dark alone.

Overall it was fine. I dont think I would stay there again, but it was fine.

Room Tip: If you dont like a lot of walking, dont get a tower room. But if you want a high level with a good v...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I am here currently, 5 nights into a 7 night stay, as part of a conference. It is comfortable enough for a work trip but unacceptable if on my own dime with the goal of enjoyment and relaxation. Safety concerns in previous reviews are legitimate. There is typically no one staffed at the entrance to the Tower building which remains unlocked even at night. Once I got lost in the lower levels trying to find the garage elevators and there were no signs nor people to ask for help. I could have been attacked down there and likely no one would hear the screams. You have to swipe your key in order to confirm your floor in the elevator but someone could easily press a floor piggy-back off your swipe. Maybe one press per swipe would b an improvement or some other system altogether. In the gym, I was running on a treadmill facing the window and one of the street's many vagrants chose to stand in front of my machine and shape his hands into a gun and fire at me. He finally moved on after some uncomfortable jog time. I wasn't hurt but no one wants to pay close to $200/ nightly to be made to feel discomfort. Maybe some tinted windows or moving the gym to another fl. would resolve this for any future guests. Also would be good for hotel to provide security to frequently walk the perimeter of the building as there are multiple entrances and i did not feel safe to travel thu alone. Water was left in the room only once out of 5 nights I've been here. I typically tip the maid staff but that did not prompt them to leave water. I also found remnants of a partially eaten cookie just under the bed platform because I dropped something near it, how disgusting is that?! You'd think housekeeping would do more thorough cleaning btwn guests. That is just terribly unhygienic. The room has an air filter in it and certification notice as a PURE room. There is no indication of who certified the room. And it is ironic because I am extra sneezy and congested when I return to the room. makes me weary that something is being overcompensated for. Now to the acceptable... Water pressure is ok, drain flow is ok, bed is ok. Pillows are overstuffed and hurt my neck bc too high but that may be an individual issue. Room and bathroom are very small but I am from NYC and this bathroom is on par w/ what I'm used to. I put my suitcase inside the closet as there is no space to spare in the room itself. I asked the desk to send up a mini fridge which they did promptly (found in my room later that evening) but it is comically/ awkwardly placed in the center of what little walking space available. The valet was helpful as I had a car one night and he directed me to self park.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear moretravelpleasennyc,
Thank you for the very thorough review of our property. I am glad that you found our staff helpful and pleasant; I will pass this information onto them to further encourage them to provide better service. I am sorry that you had a negative experience in relation to feeling secure in our property. We do offer 24/7 security patrols throughout the property and definitely should have had someone in the Tower lobby during the overnight shift. I will definitely check into this but would like to gather more information regarding your stay, due to the anonymous nature of your review I cannot pinpoint when you stayed with us or which days/evenings you encountered this absence of security in our hotel. We are working on increasing some key access points and hope to have these installed shortly. If you would like to speak with me further regarding your stay, please contact me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com
Thank you for your time.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My fiance and I stayed overnight here in October. The front desk person did not even tell us directions to get to our room. When we got to our room, the room key did not work, and we had to find a member of the hotel staff to get it to function right. The room smelled moldy, and the TV did not work properly. For the price we paid, we should of gotten an exceptional room and better service, and will not go out of our way to stay at this location again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Renee B,
Please accept my apology for our failing to meet your expectations upon arrival and our lack of appropriately preparing your guest room for your stay. We definitely should have provided you with thorough instructions on how to get to your guest room. Since we are the largest hotel in the State of Colorado occupying two city blocks directly on the famous 16th St. Mall it can be overwhelming for first time guests to navigate our hotel; we should have provided you with better instructions and I am sorry. I would like to speak with you further should you wish to spend some additional time with me so I can apologize in a more personal manner. Please feel free to contact me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The people are very nice. Although helpful is not a word I'd use. I had to ask a guy for a cart when I pulled me car up. I was standing at the wrong place to check my luggage with them for a few hours - the guy waved me over to tell me I was in the wrong place and watched me try to lug and drag all my luggage - you think he could have offered to help? It's a giant hotel - So imagine finally getting to your room after rounding three hallways to find out one of the two keys they gave you doesn't work. Then waiting for the security guy to get there. And lastly I left my iPhone chord in the room. They went to find it and then told me it would be $15 to send it to me. Not only can I buy a new one for that price, but it's so small (it could fit in a small manilla envelope and be mailed with 3 stamps). It would cost them under a $1 to mail it to me. And they STILL charge for Internet access. Even the Hampton Inn or Best Western don't charge for internet! Who still charges for internet access? No shower cap? You only get one free water. What if there are two people in the room? Hated this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear shelly961,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that your staff impressed upon you their cheerful nature. Your comments regarding our valet/luggage assistance staff are of particular concern to me and I would like to connect with you directly to gain more information so we can hold these staff member accountable for their lack of service and indifference to your needs. I am also sorry that you were offered such an expensive option for mailing your iPhone cord back to you. We do have more inexpensive options for mailing items guests have mistakenly left behind and I am sorry that they did not suggest this to you. We do offer complimentary wifi service in all of our lobby areas as well as a complimentary hour daily so our guests can access their e-mail and other urgent internet needs. Please let me know if you still need to get your cord back, I would be happy to have it sent to you immediately. Chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com

Reviewed November 6, 2013

To anyone looking for a safe and wonderful place to stay,please check out the Sheraton at Denver. My wife and i went for a week and the experience was unbelievable,The way the Sheraton and it's staff take pride in serving their patrons,is great.You feel like someone special from the moment you are greeted at the front desk to the time you reach your room. Every room is a suite, they are extremely clean with every thing you want from a first class hotel. My wife and I recommend this hotel for a good family experience. I know that you and yours will have the time of you life when you get there. Don't miss the gym too ;)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear moha0157,
We are delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us recently. We take great pride in the hard work of our associates and are happy they were able to add to your memorable experience. We hope that you and your family do pay us a visit again in the future. Thank you for your compliments.
Tony Dunn, General Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton for business in September and was booked in the "Tower" which is the old section of the neighboring hotel. Rooms are small and dated - even though they were renovated some time ago. Just be cautious. Additionally if staying in the Tower you must cross the street to get to your room (albeit via a bridge) - its still a hike for a guest.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a conference and it was very nice. Definitely worth all 4 stars and possible more if it weren't for the food. The room was very spacious and clean. Even the carpet felt fresh. The hallways were neat and clean, nothing out of place. Th bed was amazingly comfortable and I loved the pillows. I have back issues and i slept well every night. The staff was very helpful. The only negative was the food. The conference food left much to be desired and the coffee/tea bar had no lemons Each day I had to ask for lemons and because they are kept on a different floor it took a minimum of 15 minutes to get some. Seems like common sense would bring you to put lemons next to the tea bags and honey. Other than that, absolutely no complaints!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear rpboz,
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. We feel that a great night’s sleep is essential to any great day while traveling. We apologize about the lemons and will get this review to the appropriate department to notify them. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you back for business or pleasure again soon.
Tony Dunn, General Manager