“Fair, Not Outstanding”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Fair, Not Outstanding”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

There were some great things about our stay & some not-so-great.
Upon our arrival, we joined the ranks of the dazed & confused by having our room in the Tower Bldg which is across the street from Reception (which, btw, was courteous and efficient). To add to the mild irritation of traipsing around between buildings and up & down elevators to find our room, we discovered housekeeping had not finished preparing it so we were transferred, after some confusion, to another room. The second day of our stay, both of our room key cards became de-magnetized and had to be replaced which was done in a timely manner.
The room itself was huge, clean and the beds ridiculously comfy. The bathroom was spacious but desperately in need of updating (which the maintenance guy told me, incidentally, when we had to have the bath tub faucet replaced as the tap would not shut off). The room was equipped with a small fridge which was handy but my biggest, and admittedly petty, beef was the ridiculous coffee maker which brewed 1/2 a cup of Starbucks coffee at a time into a paper cup and which requires a wait time of "two minutes" before brewing again to get the full cup.
Because one of us was there on business, we escaped the daily wi-fi charge (thanks to the other reviewers for the heads up there!). Charging for wi-fi needs to be addressed, I think, as there is mild outrage in the other reviews.
I made use of the excellent fitness centre and the small but pleasant pool and because these facilities were in the same building as our room, I found this to be a plus.
I actually liked the option of whether or not to have daily housekeeping and for every day that you do not have the room cleaned/towels restocked/linens changed etc you're given a $5 voucher to use in some of the hotel's restaurants.
There is a $24 per day charge for parking in the hotel's garage.
Conveniently located to shops and restaurants but noisy at times because of this proximity.

Room Tip: If you're interested in quicker access to fitness room and pool, choose the Tower Building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NatureNut_12
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear NatureNut_12,
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff and service levels. I am sorry that your arrival experience failed to meet your expectations. I will share your comments with our team so they can understand the positive and negative effects of their efforts to provide and excellent stay. I am not sure what went wrong with your coffee maker, it definitely should have made more than one cup as the amount of coffee produced is related to the amount of water placed into the maker. If you would like to speak with me further so I can determine which room you were in so we can replace this equipment please do so at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com. I am glad you enjoyed the other amazing amenities we offer in the pool, fitness facility and our very popular sustainability program.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I always stay here because I love the location right off of the 16th street "mall". Everything dowtown is right outside the door and shuttle picks up right outside the hotel to take me around. They greet by name at the front, and they ask me if I liked my room from the last stay so i can get a similar room, which is a nice touch. They also always greet me at the door when I take a car and offer to assist me which I think is better than my usual Sheraton stays in other cities. I like the Tower Rooms because they are in this cool 60s style Mad Men I.M. Pei tower. The rooms are totally remodeled but the architecture is a period piece with tons of character - especially the windows and tall ceilings on the second floor, so cool! The gym is HUGE, new and awesome! The irish bar is so-so and the Yard House is ok but too salty. I like to go down the street and check all the nearby Denver restaurants. Room service food is better than most hotels. One night my little one got sick and so we ate with my dad in the room and the food was great - especially the deserts, which were like crazy sculptures.

I think the fundamentals are important and this place always gets my stay right. My go-to place in Denver when I can get a room - often this place is sold out.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower Rooms! They are a little bit smaller I guess but this building is an architectural...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDenver, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Cookie W,
We greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry to hear that your little one was sick while here, we surely hope they are feeling better. We are delighted to hear that our staff took great care in making sure your stay was successful. We have passed along your many compliments to our staff, thank you for those. We are excited to welcome you back to our hotel in the future, thank you for your loyalty to the Sheraton Denver Downtown.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the Downtown Sheraton for 2 nights and was placed in a room in the "Tower" which is part of the "Historic Denver" area. Historic is code for TINY. The room barely had room for a bed and desk. The bathroom was so small I couldn't believe it. The carpeting, tile, wall paper, etc all had seen better days and desperately needed updating. To get from the main hotel to the tower, you need to go down an elevator, across a maze of halls, to the tower elevator. You can also just cross the street which I found out was much faster. The staff was courteous and helpful for the few times I interacted with them. As others have mentioned the gift shop is ridiculous. They are not affiliated with the Sheraton so no room charges, which is something I always find very annoying. If you're in the hotel, then accept room charges. But there is a 7/11 half a block down if you need something and don't want to pay their prices, which I recommend you don't. In the hotel there is a "Yard House" restaurant which is a good bar with the requisite bar food and plenty of types of beers. This old lady needs to be refurbished, there are ways to keep things historic and yet not have brown carpeting...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RawwDogg
Dear RawwDogg,
Thank you for providing us with important feedback so that we can improve. I do apologize that your room accommodations did not meet your expectations. We are the largest hotel in the state with over 1200 rooms; as a result we have many different room sizes and configurations and would be happy to provide you with a larger room upon your return visit. We are also working on improved signage and navigation programs to reduce some of the confusion you experienced. I will speak with the leadership in our gift shop; they definitely should take room charges. Please let me know if you would like to interact with me further or if you would enjoy an apology over the phone: chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Travel Review
The epitome of hotels, in my 17 year old experience, was the Adams Mark hotel in Denver. It was beautiful, elegant and outfitted with the finest details -- like ice cream delivered to the room. When I arrived at the Sheraton Downtown Denver I had high hopes, as they had purchased the old Adam's Mark. What they have done with the property I am hardly a fan of.

They have connected the original hotel with the building across the street. This makes for confusing and difficult transportation of humans and luggage. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and this hotel is a Starwood Property. When we had stayed at the Starwood property in Pittsburgh the previous summer for the same event, we were upgraded and received benefits for that status. This was not the case in Denver.

We checked in with both our reservations, I forgot one night when initially booking and you cannot (for some strange reason) change your booking with Starwood, you have to create a new one. I was at a wedding once where there was a special fare for the guests the night before and of the wedding but after or two days before. We ended up with three different reservations for one room and one trip.

The Sheraton Denver checked us in, and it was early so kudos to them. We were not given a room in the old Adams Mark but the other building. We were put in about the furthest room from the elevators and lobby and the room reeked of body odor. I have never asked to switch rooms before in a hotel, but I did here.

When we returned to the lobby we told the that we were part of a very large group, we wanted to be in the other tower with the other guests. They obliged, however they did not put us on the Starwood Preferred level and we were in just about the smallest room imaginable. Upon further inspection of rooms of the rest of our party and the building schematics, ours was indeed the smallest available.

The room was fine. We did not get all of the free toiletries other rooms had, which was odd. Nor did we get a daily paper. I had signed up for the Green program, but they didn't put us down on the list. Conversely, another group in our party did not put down green and had then not received maid service. The fire alarm went off during our stay, on some levels. Our floor was not one of them, though we could hear the siren loud and clear. When we called the front desk, they said we were to standby. No problem, as the elevators weren't working. We waited as the sirens stopped and we had the all clear. The poor people above us also got an all clear, though they had no idea there was anything going on.

The long and the short of it is this: Our last night in Colorado we stayed by the airport at a Baymont Inn and Suites for half the cost of this property. We had free Wi-Fi, breakfast, cookies, coffee...and a much nicer room than at the Sheraton. Yes, the property is convenient...but there are other hotels near the 16th Street Mall that I would stay at before the Sherston Downtown Denver again.

• Stayed August 2013
Chuck S, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear AdverntureWriterMN,
Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your recent experience here at the Sheraton. I am sorry that your experience 17 years ago and the memories you associated with that stay did not match your current experience here. We strive to exceed our guest expectations in every circumstance but we failed you this time. I would welcome an opportunity to apologize to you in person should you wish to, please contact me at chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com.
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Love this place!! We stayed in an amazing King Suite room that was VERY reasonably priced, only $199 + tax for 700sf! However, everything else was outrageously priced, $20 for the breakfast buffet and $10 for a tiny bottle of Pepto-bismol from the lobby store. It's worse than airport prices. But, this is a quality hotel with nice carpet & furniture & very quite rooms. The rooftop pool & bar was beautiful & the perfect hangover cure after a night out downtown. The staff was excellent and accommodating. The location could not better, walking distance to 16th St Mall shopping and the night life of LoDo. It was perfect, I would definitely recommend this hotel and will return myself.

Room Tip: King Suite!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonDenver, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Nicole T,
Thank you for your compliments and your loyalty to the Sheraton. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our positioning on the World Famous 16th Street Mall. We feel that being close to anything our guests could want, sets us apart from competitors. We are excited to welcome you back to our community again in the future.
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Overall a nice hotel, but the two things we were disappointed by were how far we had to walk to our room from the elevators and the lack of heat in the pool. The layout design of the hotel seemed to be not well planned. We walked so far once we got off the elevator to our room and had to do that every time we were in and out. Our kids were excited for the advertised "outdoor heated pool", however we were greatly disappointed. First it was impossible to find since it was across the skywalk to go to the building across the street then find it besides. Once there, it looked a mess as no one had been through and picked up dirty towels and the pool was freezing cold so my kids never went in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tanya S
Dear siderits,
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback so we can improve. I am sorry that your pool experience was not a more positive one. Many of our guests do enjoy the pool facilities but it appears that yours was not to your expectation. I have asked our maintenance team to review our procedures to ensure that the pool meets the guidelines for temperature. I am also sorry that it posed a challenge for you and your family to find the pool. We will work on additional signage to make it easier for you in the future.
Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further with me, I would welcome an opportunity to apologize further on the phone. Chuck.schuringa@sheraton.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has everything you could want, whether traveling for business or pleasure. It is located in the heart of downtown and is within walking distance of dozens of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, shopping choices, etc.

We stayed in an Executive Suite and it was nice, but not the best. The size was impressive, except for the bathroom, which was smaller than plenty of NYC hotels I've stayed in. Other than that, the only issue we had was the thermostat, as the air conditioner was quite noisy and we couldn't figure out how to shut it off.

The hotel has a full size fitness center (nicer than some actual gyms), and plenty of other amenities. We found the staff to be helpful and nice.

I'll definitely consider staying there again for our next trip to Denver.

Room Tip: Stay higher up, as this is in a downtown area with noise at times
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chicagohoosier07,
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us as well as the Sheraton Fitness powered by Core Performance. We believe that a great workout paired with a great night’s sleep will allow any guest to face the day in Denver. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We hope to see you again in the future.