“Great Location”

Ranked #64 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Location”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Denver with many venues in walking distance. But if you don't care to walk, you can take the free tram. From what I understand from the hotel clerk, the hotel was renovated not so long ago, however, it is showing clear signs of wear and tear. The hallways in both buildings have lighting that reminds me of a dingy hotel from the 60s---a dark yellow hue. The carpet is also dark which doesn't help. The rooms are consistent with a three star hotel. If you choose this hotel, you'd be better off staying in the Plaza building--the rooms and common areas are better maintained and it is easier to access common areas--the Tower building requires a roadmap and two separate elevator rides to access the lobby and other hotel amenities. A colleague and I were originally assigned to the Tower building and after seeing our rooms, we requested to be moved. (I had a leak in the bathroom with 6 inches of standing water in the tub.) The overall cleanliness of the hotel is fair. On a 10 point scale, I would say it is a 7.5.

Customer service is not the best. First, be prepared to either hold for long periods when calling guest services or calling a couple of time because no one picks up. Second, be prepared for bad attitudes. When I called guest services, I was treated like a pest instead of a paying guest.

If you can get past the 3-star feel of the rooms, the location is great. There are many restaurants/bars, shops and entertainment nearby including the Rockies baseball stadium. There is also a movie theatre 3-4 blocks away. The sports bar restaurant in the hotel, which I think is independently owned serves competent, reasonably priced meals.

Room Tip: The rooms and common areas in the Plaza building are better maintained.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. You can walk to many things or catch the 19th street free bus/trolly nearby. The lobby is nice, rooms are reasonable but nothing fancy or outstanding. We booked rooms through a bidding site and got a great deal, so we were very pleased with value for money.

Room Tip: In case it matters, your room could be located a very long way from the one set of elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDenver, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear carolinatraveler104,
We are pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but also our positioning on the World Famous 16th Street Mall! We feel that being close to just about everything our guests need is what sets us apart from competitors. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Location is perfect. I had very little interaction with staff but everyone was efficient and polite. Rooms were clean and the bathrooms are small with an odd layout but when you read that they're maintaining the original 60s architectural design and facade, it makes a lot more sense and becomes fun.

It's not that luxurious however. It's an expensive hotel and doesn't feel 'special'. It's quite a long walk to some of the rooms. Not a bother to me but an elderly guest might not appreciate it. Finally, Internet. Arghhhhhhh. Charging for Internet? Still? Who doesn't use wi-fi? Seeing it as a separate charge you have to agree to is very annoying and I feel that luxury should mean its an automatic thing. A service included with the comfortable bed. And it was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for one night and booked our trip at a discount through Hotwire. I actually live nearby so this was a little date night getaway for my husband and I, and we were attending a wedding that night downtown. My overall impression was that the hotel did not feel like a luxury four-star hotel to me. We paid $100 with taxes and fees, so got a deal, but still I expected more luxury. Granted I am used to smaller, more quaint hotels, and am not a big chain-hotel lover to start with. I recently stayed at the Sebastian in Vail, which is 5 star and quite amazing - so I'm a bit spoiled.

We stayed in the tower and it felt a bit rundown, especially in the hallways, which seemed a tad dirty and smelled like cigarettes (even though I don't believe you can smoke anywhere). We stayed on the 5th floor where the pool was located, and that maybe wasn't the best location, as there were a lot of people walking up and down the halls going to and from the pool. When we checked in the coffee maker had a used coffee basket in it and the coffee had been depleted, meaning it wasn't cleaned or replenished. When I called they promptly came with a new coffee maker and supplies.

The room was fine, the view was of an industrial rooftop, so not stellar. The bed was outrageously comfortable and I slept really well. But heard water dripping all night - not that it really bothered me - it was just strange. It might bother someone else.

I was excited to swim in the pool, but again, it did not seem as luxurious as I expected. It seemed like a makeshift pool on an industrial rooftop with some nice pool furniture thrown in. I wasn't very enticed and ended up skipping it. And there was no hot tub, which seems kind of standard to me for most hotels, especially in Colorado.

I also think it is strange to pay extra for a continental breakfast when some of the cheapest hotels include it.

Overall, I say the experience was so so. It is a very large commercial hotel with very little character. Felt a little like being at a conference in Vegas. Probably okay for the price we paid, but I would have been very disappointed to pay $150 or more for a room. We might have been given the bottom level room because it was booked through hotwire.

The location of course is excellent. But I think there are other boutique hotels like the Curtis or the Monaco that are a better experience for downtown Denver.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paige M
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fairly typical Sheraton. A little bit dated but does not feel neglected. Stayed in a suite and at 20$ more than a regular room it was worth it. 2 great beauty rest beds in one room with a pull out sofa in the other. I wish hotels would tell you if they have pull out sofa's in their room descriptions. Very spacious but the bathroom was tiny. From another era when bathrooms were about 6 feet by 8 feet. Did have seperate temperature controls for each of the rooms and the Bose sound system was a nice touch. Reasonable shower pressure but not great. Hot water was hot and consistent. Nothing worse than fluctuating water temps.
Free internet access in the lobby using their computers. Nice but I hate being asked for 15$ to access this in my room when even Starbucks has free wi-fi !!
Pool area is really nice with great extra large lounging chairs and even cabana's that are free to use. Big pool is outside but nicely heated. No hot tub though :(
Parking was an additional 27$ a day...consider this in your budget. Also service was a little lax. We asked for extra towels, no one came.
If you can get the suite it is nice for families. Had I been in a regular room the rating would have been average.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are in a building designed by I M Pei if you are in to architecture. Try to get a su...
Green Features: Take advantage of additional points by not having maid service during your stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDenver, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Mark M,
Thank you for your compliments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed as well as your upgrade to one of our suites. We will contact our website manager to see if we can get some more information regarding pull out beds in our suites. We hope to see you in our community again in the future.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton is in a decent location downtown in a very walkable area. Close to a lot of restaurants. has a great gym! The size of the complex is a bit daunting which leads to security concerns, especially considering the amount of homeless in downtown Denver.
The rooms are a good size but the shower wasn't the best. Could have been worse considering being 22 floors up. The complimentary breakfast was average.
Overall, not a great hotel, but not a bad one either; just average.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I spent four nights at the Sheraton Denver while attending a conference recently and was pleasantly surprised by most aspects of what might appear to be a typical corporate/business hotel.

The Sheraton Denver is actually two buildings connected by a covered walkway above Court Place. When I was there, the high one July day reached 99 degrees, so the air conditioned passageway was most welcome, as it would be during the winter, when temperatures often dip well below freezing.

My room was in the I. M. Pei Tower, built in 1959 and designed by its famed namesake architect. A placard in the room explained that the building was a forerunner of “green” building practices, as “the structure and façade are made from elements from the excavation.”
The rooms, the placard continued, are representative of hotel architecture and size of the time in which the hotel was built, which explains why my room, while nicely furnished with all the modern amenities and well-appointed, was smaller than any U.S. hotel room in which I’ve stayed other than in New York City. The 10-foot ceilings, however, kept the somewhat cozy space from feeling claustrophobic.

Rooms included the usual flat screen TV, safe, iron and ironing board, work station with multiple AV inputs, and three Internet options. Guests could select basic service, estimated at 1 Mbps, for $9.95 a day, 3 Mbps service for $11.95, and 5 Mbps service for $13.95. While the prices for the faster connections seem a bit high, at least good connectivity is available, as it should be as we enter the second half of 2013.

While pretty properties are nice, it’s the service that can make or break a hotel experience. From the beginning, service was very good at the Sheraton Denver.

Upon check-in, I neglected to ask for a bathroom so called for one when I reached my room. About 10 minutes later, I receive a follow-up call from Guest Services asking whether I’d received the item I ordered. I had not, so the attendant said she would call them again. The fluffiest hotel robe I’ve ever worn arrived within minutes.

Without exception, staff was friendly and welcoming. Everyone I passed in the hallway, lobby, or other common area smiled, greeted me, and often asked if there was anything they could help me find. The large property can be a bit confusing to navigate at first, so the proffered help was appreciated.

Two service “misses” stand out.

When I attend a conference, I spend a fair bit of time working in my room between sessions, and I hate returning an unmade room after several hours in sessions. Accordingly, I’ve adopted the habit of calling to request an early visit from housekeeping just as I’m about to leave the room. My request was honored promptly the first morning but required a second call the second morning when I returned after two hours away to find the room still hadn’t been made up. The third morning was like the first: my request for early service was answered promptly.

However, on both the second and third mornings, I also reported that the shower drain was running slowly and asked if maintenance could fix it. As you can conclude, it didn’t happen after the first call … or the second. Not a huge issue, but it does show a lack of attention to detail.

In other areas, housekeeping staff did a great job of keeping the place picked up. Room service trays, glasses, and other detritus left in the halls were whisked away quickly instead of being allowed to sit for lengthy periods, waiting for an overnight collection.

There are several bars and restaurants on site, and the food at Katie Mullen’s, the Yard House, Zoup! and the 15/50 Lounge was very good, if typically hotel-expensive. The catered food at two receptions I attended was less impressive. In general, it tasted as though it had been prepared too far in advance, then kept warm or cold too long.

The Sheraton Denver is located right on the 16th Street Mall, which offers complimentary shuttle buses, and is within easy walking distance of several restaurants that are more interesting and reasonably priced than hotel fare. I particularly liked The Delectable Egg, about ½ block north of the hotel, which claims to be the home of the Denver Omelet. Regardless of that refutable claim, their egg-based breakfasts were quite good and easier on the expense account than the hotel, as were Einstein’s Bagels a couple of blocks down, and Johnny Rocket’s just across the street. In addition, the free shuttle buses can get you very close to Coors Stadium if you’re there during baseball season and you have an inclination to attend a game.

There is a business center on site, the shared Internet kiosks known as Linked@Sheraton, a fitness center, pool, and the usual amenities.

All things considered, if you need to be in downtown Denver and can get a rate that makes you – or your comptroller – happy, the Denver Sheraton is a fine place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the I. M. Pei Two are smaller but nicely done.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDenver, Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Travel_Pro55,
Boy your name does say it all! You are quite the pro at traveling! We greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are continuously working to make each visit for our guests memorable and having input from our travelers allows us to do just that. We are delighted to hear that above everything else, our staff was friendly and welcoming. We take pride in our associates and feel that their efforts are what make this hotel great. We have connected with our housekeeping department to let them know of the challenges you faced during your staff. We hope that if you ever find yourself in Denver in the future, you allow us to welcome you back to our hotel. Thank you.