“Great Location, Many Inconsistencies”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Located ½ Block from the 16th Street mall with its free bus.

Bad experience with Samantha at the front desk: When my wife asked about stamps, she was rude and dismissive, and then proceeded to give inaccurate information. After I complained to the front desk manager this young lady shot us dirty looks when we passed through the lobby.

Gym was very well equipped, though not all TV’s were operational

The hotel layout was confusing.

WiFi was spotty and required separate logins multiple times per day, worse on mobile devices

The room was small, no dresser or wardrobe; it has 2 small nightstand cubbies for clothing which were insufficient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear nextdaycorn: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize for the service you received when requesting information from our team members, as well as for the challenges you experienced while using our wireless Internet. During your next stay with us, you may be more comfortable in one of our executive suites as there is more storage and living space. We hope to see you again the next time you are in our community.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Sheraton in Downtown Denver is exactly what you expect from a large hotel which caters mainly for business travellers.

However, many other customers (like me ... on vacation) also stay there ... and here are my tips and comments:

The good

- Fantastic, fantastic location ... right on 16th Mall
- Great size bedrooms
- Some of the best beds I have ever slept on
- Staff who do their best ... despite being busy
- Great outdoor pool
- Great cable
- You feel safe and pleased that you are the Sheraton

What you need to know as an non business traveller

- You can get great great rates on this large hotel if you go to places like this on certain websites (so I used hotwire ... did a mystery hotel (but with attributes of downtown and 4 star) and got a rate of $83 dollars a night ...against a standard rate of $250 plus dollars
- It is a business hotel that expect you to just "expense it" ... so if you are not ... limit your services you buy (get breakfast outside/ eat at the great places near by rather than hotel dining room/ do not watch any home movies ...@ $17 each!/ park elsewhere rather than at their car park ... @ between $25-31 dollars a NIGHT)

The less good

- A bit impersonal
- Wifi free only in lobby ... and sometimes hard to get on ... just go to starbucks opposite
- It is large ... when the hotel give you a map of the HOTEL! (since it has two buildings) ... you know that you are just a passing number

So overall ... I liked it.

My rating on my price paid would actually be a 4 out of 5

My favourite comment was when In checked out ... "Sir ... thank you ... and their are no extra charges to be added during our stay

Room Tip: Try for the main building ...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Harj M: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Being a convention hotel we can appreciate that our size can be somewhat of a challenge however, we are a Gentle Giant and are always thinking of providing you, our guest with as many options that will make your stay with us most comfortable, and assisting you with directions is one of them. We certainly hope the map provided was helpful. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our local cuisine and attractions. The next time you are in our community it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Denver as was pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. I was very hesitant but was traveling with friends so I sucked it up and reserved the room. I arrived to a crowded valet and long line to check in. After I finally got to desk, I was promptly checked-in, I asked for an upgrade, and got booked in a executive suite. The room was very clean and very spacious. I was truly grateful for the upgrade and I actually had a great stay.

I noticed many people complained about the Plaza versus Tower side. I can say, I had friends stay in the Plaza side and they were welcomed to a dirty room. They were a group of males and their room had sanitary napkins in the trash upon their arrival (gross!). But again, as for my room...it was very clean. I also stayed in the Tower so I'm not sure if that really makes a difference but I can say it made a difference for us.

Check out was a bit of a wait again and valet was awfully slow again. I can say a Broncos game was that same day and many may have used valet to park their vehicles and walk to game but it was very slow trying to get car leaving. In all though, I would definitely stay there again if I had to. I had a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear nikkigfoster: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Typically, our valet team is very efficient in locating your vehicle. We do, however, encourage you to call our valet team approximately 30 minutes prior to needing your car so they have time to retrieve it. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Tower building. We do apologize that your friends room was not properly cleaned prior to your arrival. Anytime there is something we can do to make you feel more comfortable, please feel free to let our guest services team know and we will address your concern as quickly as possible. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our community again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Sheraton has done a nice job remodeling the rooms over the past couple of years. I have stayed here a couple of times and everything is okay...

It would be one of my last Denver picks for a leisure trip but for attending a conference it is fine.

It rarely makes sense to stay here as the standard rate they ask for is not much less than nicer options.

The hotel is a machine, it is spread over two buildings and doesn't yet have fully consistent remodeled rooms.

The Staff tries hard but the whole operation is simply unwieldy.

While it is not bad there are typically much better options in the area for similar money.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear bmordski: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to hear your conference was a success. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay with us more comfortable. We invite you to return the next time you are in town for business or pleasure.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton for a weekend visit to Denver. Our room was on the Plaza side and the rooms were very nice, sounds like it is different on the Tower side. Large, two queen bed room with desk, nicely updated, with view of downtown. We are SPG members so maybe that's why we got the Plaza even though it was a Priceline bid. Parking is pricey ($31 for valet, $26 for self park). Used valet one night then moved to a local lot in the next block, $11 for all day.

Room Tip: Create SPG account if you don't already have one. Make sure it's on your reservation. Ask...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear CutDriver: We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We can assure you that we do our best to provide the best accommodations for all our guests no matter the reservation method. We appreciate your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program and hope to welcome you back to our community again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

my company chose the sheraton this year for our national sales meeting instead of our usual hyatt regency downtown.
i have to say i'm disappointed.
i do want to say that the service staff here is fabulous!!! from the front desk, concierge, housekeeping staff... they are very quick to react to requests.
The yardhouse restaurant/bar in the hotel is awesome with 50+ beers on tap, great music and fabulous food (including healthy options). also the mint bar near the lobby is a great option as well.
the hotel is directly across from the convention ctr so extremely convenient if going to a show/concert/event. and right next to the downtown Denver pavilions.
BUT.... the rooms need a total face lift.
i stayed on the tower side and was told the rooms are the same on both the tower and the plaza sides but the tower side has the better views of downtown.
my hotel room door looked like it had been completely beat up. the furniture is old. everything is dusty. the bathroom/shower is tiny and outdated. no microwave or refrigerator/minibars in the room (although they did bring a refrigerator up when requested). the walls are super thin.
at least the beds were comfortable.

all in all: if spending much time in your room or want a bit of luxury when here, i'd say stay elsewhere.
if want location and good bars/entertainment, it'll be a good bet.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear momo303: It is wonderful to hear that our team members were able to make you feel comfortable and welcome during your stay. A few of our guests, who are not as familiar with the history of our I.M.Pei Tower and its famous architect, may feel as you did. The guestrooms were, however, part of a $70M dollar renovation along with the rest of the hotel and being a historic building at times may not seem as apparent. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place does not pay attention to the guests,.. Stayed in December and had a difficult time checking in, staying and leaving! Checking in they said my room would be upgraded to a king ... Wait that is what my reservations as for ..l what I did not know is that I would be placed in a room with no heat. The heat could not be fixed until the next day, and they would not move me to a different room. Then, I returned in the evening - to find the heat still not fixed and the room not clean. I went to the front desk anathema nagger told me that my rate did not nyc,use daily cleaning - I was paying $235...he said since I was a platinum member of their point club that I would get cleaning that day " on the house". When I wanted to check out, they ask me to give the dates of stay - as she did not show anyone In my room number! Then the valet could not locate the car for at least 30 minutes. Easy things to solve if a property is paying attention to the guest!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JDcomments

Dear JDcomments: Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We do apologize for the challenges and any confusion you experienced during your stay. Housekeeping is included in all our rates. The only exception is when a guest opts for the Make A Green Choice program, which bypasses housekeeping to save resources. This optional program is rewarded with SPG points or a gift certificate for a discounted breakfast. Additionally, we apologize for the delay in addressing your heating unit. Typically, a member of our team is able to address your concerns more efficiently. We encourage you to notify our Valet team approximately 30 minutes prior to your departure so they have time to collect your vehicle. We hope you will allow us to welcome you back to our community again soon.