“Go out of your way for this hotel!”

Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel
Ranked #63 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Go out of your way for this hotel!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I recently went on a 2 week trip with my two kids while my husband traveled for work away from us. I spent the last night of my trip at this hotel. Everything was perfect. The room was huge - a standard room with 2 queen beds. Both beds were very comfortable, the room was updated, modern, very clean and very large with an amazing view. Additionally it is right at the end of The Mall which is a really cool multi-block area with stores and restaurants and street performers. As I checked in the front desk person, Hanna, asked me about my trip and stay and could clearly see that I was a bit exhausted from traveling alone with 2 small children. She was very quick (very necessary with 2 small children), and very sweet.
After going to my room and then roaming The Mall, I returned to the hotel and the kind, knowing smile of Hanna as I walked by the front desk. Within minutes of arriving back to my room, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find room service with two plates. One plate was filled with delicious chocolate chip cookies and one was filled with chocolate covered strawberries. There was also an ice bucket with two big glasses of cold milk and a card. The card read, "Dear Mrs. Lorentz, please accept these gifts courtesy of the front desk. We know how challenging traveling with kids can be so please also enjoy a movie on us. Enjoy your stay. Hanna and the Front Desk."
SERIOUSLY??? This was the highlight of my 2 week trip. This went above and beyond anything I could have expected or even wanted. They took the time to make my life a bit easier. I almost cried since it was the first time in 2 weeks that anyone had done anything for me since I was so focused on making sure my kids were taken care of. (how do single parents do this??)
Furthermore, when I brought the cart down with all of my luggage - the valet had my van waiting and loaded it before I had even finished checking out, This is amazing when you consider that checkout was a breeze also and took only moments. And he did it very well. He put the cooler in the easiest to access place in the back and was careful with everything.
Our stay was delightful in every way. Even absent the special gift this hotel is a must for anyone traveling to Denver. The location is unbeatable, the rooms are huge and the staff is superb. Service like this just doesn't exist anymore.
Go out of your way for this hotel because they go out of their way for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer L
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear JenniferL: Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your family vacation with us in Denver. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize Hanna and the rest of our team. We always do our best to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable. We hope the rest of your vacation was successful with your children and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you decide to bring your family to Denver.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Korean first
Keller, Texas
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Business travel is never fun. A great hotel stay can make it better, but this stay was only average. So while it wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. Check-in was slow. My colleagues and I remarked the process didn't seem very sharp nor consistent from clerk to clerk. When I got to my room, the TV remote was missing. I called guest services and requested another one. They cheerfully called back 20 minutes later to confirm it had arrived, but it hadn't. Ten minutes later, it finally arrived. Another process disconnect. The room in the tower was kind of small, and the air conditioner blower was loud and made a whining noise. In the bathroom, the toilet handle was broken but useable, and in the shower the water pressure was inconsistent. None of these issues was major or a deal breaker, but again, on a business trip the last thing you need is more stress and inconvenience. I will say the service in the conference center was very good and breakfast was good, but my guest room and the related service there were only average. It was my first stay at a Sheraton in a long time; I usually prefer Marriott or Hilton. Not sure I'll hurry to stay at this hotel or a Sheraton again soon.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are across the street via the skybridge or conference center underneath. That's not...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jhhoffmann2
Dear jhhoffmann2: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We're disappointed to hear that you were not completely comfortable dueing your business trip. We apologize for the delay in getting the TV remote to you and that you experienced maintenance issues in your room. Please connect with us at 03205.socialmedia@sheraton.com with more information regarding which room you were in so we can have our engineering team address the issues. We're pleased you enjoyed meeting in our conference rooms and breakfast prepared by our culinary team. The next time business brings you to Denver, we hope to welcome you again.
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Good location, clean room, friendly helpful staff, lovely breakfast perfect stay I would say!

• Stayed June 2012
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Caddyes: Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're pleased you enjoyed your breakfast in 15|Fifty Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have stayed at many sheratons and this hotel was my least favorite. If it weren't for the location- I wouldn't go back.

Let's start off with our check in. We reserved two rooms. We went into our first room and the room smelt like dirty socks. We went down the hall to check out the second room and there was a loud thumping noise coming from below the room. We figured it was room construction under or something so we wondered why they would place us above the noise and said we will check on the room again later. When we came back to the room, we can hear the loud pounding noise from down the hall. Once you were in the room and stood on a certain part of the floor, the floor would move. My husband and his friend went down the the front desk to request another room. They were told the new room would be charged at full price (we get a family discount) and I had to go down to the lobby to show a copy of the discount even though they already took one when I checked in. When I brought the document down to the front desk I complained about the noise. The guy at the front desk kind of brushed off the situation as if we were complaining about typical room next door noise. Finally he called engineering to have it checked out.

Two nights in a row an emergency alarm went off at 1:30 in the morning. For what seemed to be a faulty alarm. One night in which it persistently went off for about 10-20 minutes. Very frustrating when you have to be up early in the morning and also have a toddler.

The hotel was disappointing when you bring someone that is new to the Sheraton and you had spoken very highly of the hotels, than that person leaves saying they don't want to come back.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Noname2828
SheratonDenver, General Manager at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Noname2828: We are disappointed to hear about the frustration you and your family experienced during your stay. We can assure you that the alarms, pounding noises and smells you experienced are not the norm in our guestrooms. We do apologize for the inconvenience and for the challenges you had. Our guest services team typically goes out of their way to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable. We are pleased that you enjoyed our special location on the 16th Street Mall. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We hope to welcome you back again the next time you vacation in Denver.

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Denver, CO
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed in the tower, so getting from the check in counter to the elevators took a little bit of walking... more so than other downtown hotels we have stayed at. If you had a ton of bags the walk would be annoying. One of the elevators was really small too and it seemed to be the only one we would get each time.

We had a great dinner at Katie Mullens downstairs; it is a great little Irish pub/restaurant and had some really good food that was reasonably priced. We were pleasantly surprised and had great service.

The only negative thing we encountered was the check-in driveway and parking situation.

When we arrived we pulled into the round-about driveway I parked my car on the side so my wife and I could unload our bags and check in. A valet employee told us we couldn't stop there and had to go park because they had an event with 1,000 people that night. After some discussion with him he said I could have 10 minutes to get back and move my car. That was a reasonable amount of time but I am a guest too and should be able to comfortably unload my things and check into the hotel.

After we checked in we were told it would be $24 dollars to self-park our car so I declined and parked in a lot a block away for $5.

Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ColoradoBoys: We're disappointed to hear about your frustrations with the challenges you encountered upon your arrival. Our Valet team would be happy to park your car for you during your next stay to make your arrival more convenient. Additionally, our Guest Services Team would be happy to assist you with getting your luggage to your guestroom. We're pleased you enjoyed your meal at Katie Mullen’s. During your next stay we recommend breakfast in 15|Fifty restaurant located in our Plaza lobby. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in our community.
Noblesville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great location on the16th street mall. Walked 1.3 miles to Coors Field and all the bars in the area. Gave me a nice upgrade. You can tell the hotel does need some future upgrades but still very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jeffrey A: We are pleased you were able to experience all that the Denver nightlife had to offer. We hope you enjoyed the Rockies game as well. The next time your travels bring you to Denver, we invite you to stay with us again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Situated in the heart of the city, and directly on the 16th Street Mall, it's hard to ask for a better location. Anything you want to do in downtown Denver is within walking distance; however, if being a pedestrian isn't your thing, the free "MallRide" shuttle bus stops right outside the hotel every few minutes. If tourism or the downtown nightlife are the main focus of your stay, then it's location alone makes the Sheraton an excellent choice.

However, the cost of the hotel should be a major factor when deciding to stay here. Among four-star hotels in the downtown area, the Sheraton comes up lacking when compared to other similar hotels nearby. If you can book it for a significantly cheaper than the competition, you might find it worthwhile; however, if it's only $20 or so per night that you'd be saving, you'd be much happier elsewhere.

The breakfast buffet was one of the low points - our hostess and our waiter both pushed the buffet on us a little forcefully, and even though it was a little cheaper than ordering directly from the menu, it wasn't worth it. Food selection at the buffet was extremely minimal, it seemed to be only minimally attended to, and with only a few dishes to feed the masses they were constantly running out of the main courses.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FunJunkies95
Dear FunJunkies95: Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your experience. Our location on the 16th Street Mall is special as many of the local tourist attractions are easily accessible, by foot or by the Free Mall Ride. We're apologize that your experience at breakfast was not as enjoyable as you expected. We can assure you that what you experienced at breakfast is not the norm. Typically, our team takes great pride in taking care of the details and making sure the buffett is always full with a wide variety of choices. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again during your next vacation to Denver.