“Bland food; poor kitchen service”

Lola Coastal Mexican
Ranked #96 of 3,146 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Highland
Cross street: 16th & Boulder
Description: Nestled in Denver's favorite new culinary Mecca, the LoHi neighborhood, LOLA is "The Place" for tequila as well as one of the cities most acclaimed dining destinations. The kitchen cooks up a fresh, seasonal menu inspired by the soulful cuisine of Mexico's coastal regions, and we serve it to you in a warm and inviting atmosphere. Join the tequila aficionados at our award-winning tequila bar, featuring over 150 different selections for your sipping pleasure. Denver's very best brunch starts early and ends late with live music on Sundays.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I love Mexican restaurants, and this one looks gourgeous. In a great part of Denver too. But the food and the kitchen service let me down. The guacamole (supposedly made tableside, but not for me) was bland and not particularly fresh-tasting -- Costco's packaged guacomole would fare well by comparison. The grouper ceviche (recommended by the server) was tough and tasteless. The meat, which I ordered medium, came out rare, and the corn tortillas that I ordered came out flour. The food problems are serious; the service problems are niggling, but a nuisance.

1  Thank Grant-Kristin

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We always enjoy a weekend brunch here. I rarely go for happy hour as the service really suffers, but brunch is a good bet. Can anyone make more delicious french toast...I doubt it!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I visited their on our first night out in awhile. If you love table side guacamole, this place takes the cake! For dinner I had the scallops and she had the Pork. Both were outstanding! We WILL be back

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We liked Lola, though not overwhelmingly. Nice house traditional margs, always good when you can actually taste tequila in your beverage! Would like to try their happy hour and tequila flights (300 various kinds) sometime when I’m not driving! Highlight food for us were aps: tableside guac, with all super fresh stuff, and spiced to order. The salsa sampler was also all yummy, likely filled up on too many warm tortilla chips to polish of the guac and salsas!

Friends had tacos and the recommended chicken entrees, they liked both, bird was crisp and moist. Shared a couple of the El Cesar salads – nice greens and fresh avo was good foil with the tasty garlicky dressing and manchego cheese gave nice touch. I do like my ceasar with anchovy so that lacking was bit of a letdown for me, though know others don’t like the little fishy kick.

Flight of ceviches was real hit for us. I really liked the tuna poke with nice sized tuna cubes amongst bits of pineapple and just the right spicy kick. Wife really liked the shrimp ceviche with butterflied rock shrimp mixed in an aioli with cherry tomatoes and bit of spice, though I think it needed a bit more zest to kick it up a bit. Lobster was our fav ceviche with nice chunks of lobster with sweet pops of pomegranate seeds and flecks of orange - very tasty.

My mahi was bit of disappointment, should’ve called the server over about it though she kept flitting by us. She really never came back after asking about 1st entree bites (which were ok) until well after entree plates had been cleared. Mahi wasn’t the most generous cut, had nice seasoning and outside sear but but real issue was that biggest part of it wasn’t cooked, was rubbery cold and inedible. Had so much other food on the table that didn’t need it redone, but she should’ve checked. Would’ve also pointed out to a font of the house person if they had stopped by to ask how our meal was.

Nice atmosphere with good southwestern colors and Mexican hacienda décor. Reservations honored without wait, rest of service crew were super helpful and attentive. We’ll go back again, mostly for drinks and aps.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have had some great meals at Lola's! Happy hour on Monday's is a must. We love the new mexican urban flare to the food. Sweet potatoes in Mexican food? YES please! Table-side guacamole? YES! The best Margaritas? YES! Take your friends! You may need a reservation to beat the crowd because this place is popular for a reason! Oh, and Sunday morning brunch?-- Make a reservation.