“M&S Quality in Denver”

McCormick & Schmick's
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #538 of 3,044 Restaurants in Denver
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union & Ulster
Transit: Enjoy a 10 minute walk east on Union Street from the Belleview Station Light Rail stop
Rockville, MD
“M&S Quality in Denver”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I love this chain, because everywhere I've eaten in an M&S (Boston, DC, Bethesda, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Baltimore (2), Manhattan Beach and of course, Seattle (2)) the food, decor and service have been consistently superb. This location had all the same features. The only thing that raised an eyebrow was that the portions did not seem as large as I expected.

That may have been due to what I ordered. I decided to try copia, a fish described as having a buttery flavor. I don't eat a lot of butter, but this was not that flavor. It was good, though. It came with a nice mango salsa and some Forbidden Rice. While eating, I Googled "Forbidden Rice" and learned that it is an exotic black rice with a lot of healthy nutrients and vitamins. What it didn't have was the usual taste of rice. I have forbidden myself from ordering it again.

My decision on what to have is not a knock on M&S. The food was prepared well, served hot, and probably valued properly at $29 since the fish and the rice were both a bit unusual.

The M&S menu has so many choices, including standard fish nicely grilled, broiled, etc, that it still is a good destination.

• Visited April 2014

Denver, Colorado, United States
“Happy Hour”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Believe it or not. The happy hour food is cheap. I guess that's why the bar was jammed till 7pm. The restaurant was maybe 1/2 full on a Fri. nite?? My wife ordered a steak from the regular menu. It was blah and expensive. Beautiful restaurant and good service.

• Visited March 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Fresh seafood + great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The fish is always fresh and delicious here. But what I really love about this place is the decor...it's not bright and airy like so many new restaurants. Rather it's dark and cavernous and I think that suits the place well. Last time we had our office lunch here, we started with calamari and bacon-wrapped shrimp. Go for the calamari - it includes some fried jalapeño slices and a really delicious, lemony dipping sauce. Tried the lobster bisque, which was a little too floury and thick, but had huge chunks of lobster in it. For my main dish I ate the Palm Beach Mahi Mahi and while the fish was perfectly prepared, I didn't need another cream sauce after the bisque, and found the glaze to be a little too sweet. I'll try something different next time. Too full for dessert but I've had it before and it was all delicious.

• Visited February 2014
Clayton, North Carolina
“Food and service at there best”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The food here was spectacular. I have never seen such large scallops and I have seen a lot. My filet mignon was so tender I could cut it with my fork.

Visited January 2014
Rainier, Oregon
“Mile-high rockfish”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Having lived in the Pacific Northwest AND in Baltimore, we have a strong affinity for seafood, and know what is good and what is not. Because we were staying a block from this M&S, we couldn't resist. We were not disappointed. Our waitstaff, Robert, was gregarious and well-versed in wine (and also from the PacNW!) He introduced us to a new winery with an interesting combination white, which was very good. I enjoyed a half-dozen Olympia oysters, while my spouse enjoyed her Maker's Mark 46 manhattan. The main courses were excellent, as well. The dinner was pricey, but worth it. The only drawback was the extreme post-adolescent noise from the happy hour crowd at the bar. Fortunately, we were far enough away that it was not that bad. Tip: Do not go during happy hour without earplugs.

• Visited January 2014

Been to McCormick & Schmick's? Share your experiences!