“Old World Class”

Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens
Ranked #5 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My husband and I frequently travel to Denver on business. Last week, while in the process of searching on-line for the usual sterile hotel room for the night, I decided to check out bed & breakfasts on a whim and stumbled upon the Lumber Baron and booked a room. What happy event! Sheer class, beautiful architecture, intriguing history, high-tech conveniences, and close proximity to Lodo entertainment. Unfortunately, an early appt. kept us from having breakfast, but if our limited experinece is any indication of the overall excellence of the inn, we woud have been thrilled on that account too. The only reason I would hesitate to write an excellent review of the Lumber Baron is that it would become so popular that I couldn't book a room (only five rooms) next time we were in Denver! The dreamlike bed and the jetted tub (for two) caused me for the first time in months to forget the world and just say ahhhh.... Do yourself (and someone you love) a favor and step back in time and enjoy real luxury.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sevensprings

Reviewed June 11, 2006

We live in the neighborhood and I wnated to take my wife "away" for the weekend. We just reciently returned from a trip to Hawaii and we were both still in withdrawl. The Barron was the perfict ticket for a getaway weekend. Granted we did not travel from far away. but this is a romantic place. You can have as much privacy as you want or mingle with others. Eventhough we were still inour neighborhood, we felt like we had been transported to a far away plance. We boht recommend it.

We have also done the mother's day brunches here. They are very nice. You dine in the gardens and the food is very good. The perfect way to make your wife and/ mom feel really special.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank morethanjustadad
Reviewed June 6, 2005

Stayed here with wider family a couple of weeks ago. The Lumber Baron is a beautifully and painstakingly restored house which the owner has carefully crafted to be a bed and breakfast and also wedding venue. Breakfast was excellent (even for us vegetarians) and can be taken on the patio or in a communal and quite beautiful dining room. This in itself is quite fun as you can meet others and talk over breakfast. The owner (Walter) obviously cares about his guests. Apart from being a great host, I asked him for his best bar tip in Denver. Not only did he make a suggestion (My Brother's Bar - try it!) that turned out to be very good but he offered my wife and I a lift in his Hummer - an experience in itself. The rooms are all tastefully decorated (in period) and have spa baths and in one case a HDTV plasma large screen. I cannot recomend this place highly enough and will stay again the next time I am in Denver. I am sure other members of the family will do the same.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank astonmartinv8
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2003

Our formal, evening wedding was ruined by the lack of customer service at the Lumber Baron Inn. For starters, the Innkeeper was on vacation and left an incompetent replacement who demaded I remove the previous wedding's decorations. I had mistaken her for the cleaning staff, as she was dressed in shorts and a wrinkled short-sleeved shirt. No attempt was made to provide hand towels in the back garden after it rained lightly before the ceremony, and she spent most of the evening making personal calls from the back office or setting up for another event scheduled for the next morning. After discovering that the air conditioners in three of the five rooms were not working, the Innkeeper (with whom we spoke on the phone) did not apologize and made no suggestions of what to. In fact, he seemed annoyed that we disturbed him on his vacation. So, at 1:30am, we were searching the house for the circut breaker box. The replacement staff member locked up the house and left the property for the evening and the morning breakfast was inedible. We still have not received an apology from the Innkeeper for ruining our wedding day.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
LumberBaron, owner at Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2007

Dear future guests- please disregard the review submitted on August 17, 2003. Written in the heat of the moment by the mother of the bride, this review was to have been removed years ago (shortly after it was submitted) when a settlement was reached to fairly compensate this disgruntled guest. Removing this review was part of the settlement.
As the owner of the Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens, it's a heart-breaker to know that any single guest's experience does not meet their expections or the high expectations we set for ourselves for every single event. After all, we live at the Inn and personally handle each and every of the dozens of events we host every year. Of course, we're only human and we're anxious to prove to you personally that the Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens is worth you consideration as host to your wedding, meeting, Murder Mystery Dinner, or overnight stay. Thanks, Walter Keller, owner.