“It was awful and not recommended.”

Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens
Ranked #5 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
Denver
“It was awful and not recommended.”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I went to the Lumberbaron Inn for a Murder Mystery Dinner for a work party and had an awful time. The comedy was strictly sex-based comedy, very raunchy and crude. There was a lot of embarrasing audience participation that was very inappropriate. The host of the show embarrassed juvieniles, did a strip-tease type dance to several patrons. And besides all of this the music was very loud, the mystery play was very unorganized and confusing and hard to follow (not to mention all the continuing sex-jokes). It felt very low-class. It was not what I expected and I would never go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joan W
LumberBaron, Owner at Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Apologies all around to you for having not been satisfied with our performance. We work closely with companies to set the expectations for our casino murder mystery dinners. Each company has the challenge of selecting an entertainment choice that meets everyone's needs and it's clear that our product did not match with you. As for the content, the public should be assured that there's never any nudity or profanity, but certainly a few double entendres. Our adult audiences give our actors great reviews for keeping the content fun and high-energy and we're sorry it didn't work for you this time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at the Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens for the first time last night and went to my second murder mystery dinner there and am already excited to go back! The owner bought this incredible house years ago and the renovations are incredible.

First, the rooms. I stayed in the Valentine suite and it was completely amazing. It was a huge room with a spa tub and one of the most comfortable beds! It was fun to stay in such a cool place. Plus, the breakfast was seriously the most amazing thing I've ever had for breakfast. I was lucky enough to get this crazy good cinnamon raisin stuffed french toast with fruit and bacon. Seriously - it was delicious!

Now, for the murder mystery shows. I can't say enough how much fun I have at these shows. I'm already planning another trip back with a group of friends. They are crazy and wacky and the entire audience gets involved. The actors are hilarious!! It's not the most serious plot and it doesn't always make sense but it's a BLAST.

I would recommend checking out the Lumber Baron Inn to anyone. Check out the incredible house renovations, try the amazing breakfast or visit for the hilarious and fun murder mystery dinner. Already looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank elvisina33
Thanks so much Elvis! Lots of folks come back again and again. We work very hard to make out place perfect for guests! As on premise innkeeper owners, it's particularly fun to know you had such a great time at the murder mystery dinner and in the Valentine Suite. My wife, chef Julie Keller, has a culinary degree from the Western Culinary Institute in Portland Oregon and really flexes her muscles for breakfast. Sounds like you had her signature breakfast- "Stuffed French Toast Creme Carmel" which is always available upon request at check-in. Please mention this review next time you call so we can catch up!
Firestone, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We arrived late and there was a murder mystery dinner scheduled at the Inn that night, so there were lots of people in the house and looking at us like "what are you doing?" probably because we had overnight bags with us. With the crowd downstairs my husband and I did not get to look around that night, but we took advantage of it the next morning. We stayed in the honeymoon suite and it was very charming. For those who are not used to staying in an old house they might call it dirty, but I think the house is very well taken care of. A little cluttered but still beautiful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cblyon10
Thanks cblyon10,

So glad you joined us for night's stay in the Honeymoon Suite. And you're totally right about the murder mystery dinner- it can be a little awkward if you're not part of these large 50-75 person dinner theater events on a night you stay. We have thought of this of course and that's why we set our check-in time from 4pm-6pm, long before we open the doors to the public for the murder mystery dinners which start at 6pm. In your case it sounds like our best laid plans didn't match up, but we'd love it if you could come back on a night when we're not hosting a show (usually Friday and Saturday nights). And thanks for your nice words about the Honeymoon Suite- that means a lot to us as we are dedicated to making every guest's visit wonderful.
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Do not ever go to this establishment for anything! The owner is horrible and doesn't care about anything after you sign a contract with him. Doesn't even have enough flatware or glassware for all of the guests! Would have been nice to know before signing on and paying! The entire place is filthy and run down. When I walked through the kitchen to get to the bathroom, the small sink in the kitchen (I guess for employees to wash their hands) was absolutely disgusting! I've seen moldy toilets that look cleaner. Thank goodness they have outside caterers host the events otherwise I would have been scared to even taste the food. This place should be shut down! Hope it is soon. Stay away from here!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank SusieQla
It's heartbreaking to see personal attacks on the internet especially when it's the first you've heard of the problem. We've been hosting weddings for 18 years and I've been working one-on-one with brides and grooms ever since. Some folks I connect with over a dozen times before the big day and am happy to do so. As you know, we host a mandatory 30-day meeting wtih you and your caterer before the wedding. Your anonymous review seems to reveal you as a "hands off" bride that didn't spend a lot of time on the details. Like flatware- if we in fact did run out, couldn't have been by much, unless your group turned out to be bigger than advertised. Either way, I'm sorry it happened and wish you'd give me the chance to make it up to you instead of tearing me down publicly first. If this review is from a real person, please call me personally.
Nebraska
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We spent our first anniversary at the Lumber Baron last night. We did participate in the Mystery Comedy Dinner, which was fantastic! It was so much fun! It started out with various casino type games, the tables manned by different characters in the show. There was a cash bar downstairs and several different types of games. The "gambling" went on for about an hour, which was really more about mingling and just having fun with the characters which are very funny. Then the group moved upstairs for dinner and the rest of the show. It was hilarious and there was a LOT of guest participation. Never a dull moment, but it is definitely an experience that is what you make it. If you don't participate, you will probably have less fun. I am sure it was very loud though and I can see how if you weren't there for the dinner, it would be irritating.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite, which was very nice. It was two rooms that could be seperated by two giant pocket doors. One room was the bed, a wardrobe and large flat screen TV. The other room was kind of a large dressing/bathroom. The shower is very small, but it gets the job done and the water pressure and temp were great! There is also a cool tub in the turret of the room, but we were so beat from the dinner that we didn't use it. The room is fantastic considering the age of the home. I can't think of anything that I saw that was sub-par. It is a beautiful historic home. The owners are very nice and breakfast was great...delivered outside your door in a basket. The intercom on the phone announced that it was there, which was nice. Usually someone knocks on your door and/or comes into your room to deliver your food. This was a nice touch and tasty too! I don't know where they managed to find such delicious fruit this time of year.

Side note, there were some nice "above and beyond" ameneties that I don't normally expect at a b&b: a huge amount of dvds to watch in a room downstairs, individually wrapped soaps, in room iPad, and probably the most beautiful furniture I have ever seen in any place I have stayed.

You should stay here and particpate in the dinner, you won't be sorry you did!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuckx9ne
Thanks tuckx9ne,

Wow! That's a great review- much appreciated! My wife will flip when she reads it- just like I did. I don't need to tell you this because you experienced it first hand- we work non-stop, seven-days a week to make the Lumber Baron experience fantastic! And staying during a murder mystery dinner really gives guests the total mansion experience: mixing with the public and our hilarious actors in the first floor parlors, dinner and fun in the ballroom in the third floor, and then staying over in the original bedrooms on the second floor. Glad you loved the antiques- I searched the country to select the pieces that populate the mansion. And the Honeymoon Suite has some of my favorites: the enormous mahogheny queen bed from the 1860's- wonderful carving. And I'm constantly re-telling the story of the installation of the wall-size Victoran gold mirror on the wall in that room. Also- super-pleased you loved the in-room iPad- my 14-year old son selected those amenities insisting that travelers today need quick and easy access to the internet-once again, he was right!!
Waco, Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We had a very uncomfortable visit at the Lumber Baron. The room was tiny and not especially clean. The toilet is built into an old closet and is cramped and uncomfortable. The shower is so small as to allow virtually no movement. The noise from the murder mystery event downstairs kept us from sleeping well past a reasonable hour. The innkeepers were too busy with their production to give other guests any care or help. And the lovely Victorian house - which looks beautiful from the street - is tacky and crowded inside. It's a jumble of casino equipment and props for their shows. It was a lousy visit, and one we'll never make again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gordon113
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2010

First off I got a good rate, 75 dollars US. The Inn is in a decent nieghborhood and it´s easy to access downtown Denver. The owners were very hospitable and the continental breakfast was fresh and good quality fruits and muffins. The building itself had nice and interesting character. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo