“WORST PLACE IN DENVER TO HAVE A WEDDING!”

Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens
Ranked #5 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
Westminster, Colorado
“WORST PLACE IN DENVER TO HAVE A WEDDING!”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Do not ever go to this establishment for anything! The owner is horrible and doesn't care about anything after you sign a contract with him. Doesn't even have enough flatware or glassware for all of the guests! Would have been nice to know before signing on and paying! The entire place is filthy and run down. When I walked through the kitchen to get to the bathroom, the small sink in the kitchen (I guess for employees to wash their hands) was absolutely disgusting! I've seen moldy toilets that look cleaner. Thank goodness they have outside caterers host the events otherwise I would have been scared to even taste the food. This place should be shut down! Hope it is soon. Stay away from here!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank SusieQla
LumberBaron, Owner at Lumber Baron Inn & Gardens, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
It's heartbreaking to see personal attacks on the internet especially when it's the first you've heard of the problem. We've been hosting weddings for 18 years and I've been working one-on-one with brides and grooms ever since. Some folks I connect with over a dozen times before the big day and am happy to do so. As you know, we host a mandatory 30-day meeting wtih you and your caterer before the wedding. Your anonymous review seems to reveal you as a "hands off" bride that didn't spend a lot of time on the details. Like flatware- if we in fact did run out, couldn't have been by much, unless your group turned out to be bigger than advertised. Either way, I'm sorry it happened and wish you'd give me the chance to make it up to you instead of tearing me down publicly first. If this review is from a real person, please call me personally.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Nebraska
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We spent our first anniversary at the Lumber Baron last night. We did participate in the Mystery Comedy Dinner, which was fantastic! It was so much fun! It started out with various casino type games, the tables manned by different characters in the show. There was a cash bar downstairs and several different types of games. The "gambling" went on for about an hour, which was really more about mingling and just having fun with the characters which are very funny. Then the group moved upstairs for dinner and the rest of the show. It was hilarious and there was a LOT of guest participation. Never a dull moment, but it is definitely an experience that is what you make it. If you don't participate, you will probably have less fun. I am sure it was very loud though and I can see how if you weren't there for the dinner, it would be irritating.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite, which was very nice. It was two rooms that could be seperated by two giant pocket doors. One room was the bed, a wardrobe and large flat screen TV. The other room was kind of a large dressing/bathroom. The shower is very small, but it gets the job done and the water pressure and temp were great! There is also a cool tub in the turret of the room, but we were so beat from the dinner that we didn't use it. The room is fantastic considering the age of the home. I can't think of anything that I saw that was sub-par. It is a beautiful historic home. The owners are very nice and breakfast was great...delivered outside your door in a basket. The intercom on the phone announced that it was there, which was nice. Usually someone knocks on your door and/or comes into your room to deliver your food. This was a nice touch and tasty too! I don't know where they managed to find such delicious fruit this time of year.

Side note, there were some nice "above and beyond" ameneties that I don't normally expect at a b&b: a huge amount of dvds to watch in a room downstairs, individually wrapped soaps, in room iPad, and probably the most beautiful furniture I have ever seen in any place I have stayed.

You should stay here and particpate in the dinner, you won't be sorry you did!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuckx9ne
Thanks tuckx9ne,

Wow! That's a great review- much appreciated! My wife will flip when she reads it- just like I did. I don't need to tell you this because you experienced it first hand- we work non-stop, seven-days a week to make the Lumber Baron experience fantastic! And staying during a murder mystery dinner really gives guests the total mansion experience: mixing with the public and our hilarious actors in the first floor parlors, dinner and fun in the ballroom in the third floor, and then staying over in the original bedrooms on the second floor. Glad you loved the antiques- I searched the country to select the pieces that populate the mansion. And the Honeymoon Suite has some of my favorites: the enormous mahogheny queen bed from the 1860's- wonderful carving. And I'm constantly re-telling the story of the installation of the wall-size Victoran gold mirror on the wall in that room. Also- super-pleased you loved the in-room iPad- my 14-year old son selected those amenities insisting that travelers today need quick and easy access to the internet-once again, he was right!!
Waco, Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We had a very uncomfortable visit at the Lumber Baron. The room was tiny and not especially clean. The toilet is built into an old closet and is cramped and uncomfortable. The shower is so small as to allow virtually no movement. The noise from the murder mystery event downstairs kept us from sleeping well past a reasonable hour. The innkeepers were too busy with their production to give other guests any care or help. And the lovely Victorian house - which looks beautiful from the street - is tacky and crowded inside. It's a jumble of casino equipment and props for their shows. It was a lousy visit, and one we'll never make again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gordon113
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2010

First off I got a good rate, 75 dollars US. The Inn is in a decent nieghborhood and it´s easy to access downtown Denver. The owners were very hospitable and the continental breakfast was fresh and good quality fruits and muffins. The building itself had nice and interesting character. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed February 3, 2010

First, it was a beautiful home, or would be if every room and hallway didn't have casino tables, cards, and poker chips sitting out. When the owner was not too busy with preparing for casino night, he was easy to talk to and had good tips for the local area. We were the first B&B guests to arrive so we got to tour the home and look at the other rooms. Unfotunately, we were in the smallest of the rooms, and I do mean SMALL. Either of the other rooms would have been much more comfortable. Check their web-site carefully for their show schedule. We didn't know they were having a casino night the first night we were there. It was VERY noisy, luckily the party and loud clean-up were over by 10:30. The bed was comfortable, sheets soft, very quiet when there was no party. We had to ask for ice and then when we wanted more the next evening, we couldn't locate anyone to get it for us. No fancy bath amenities here. Food was OK but nothing special. My husband ate it but it wasn't to my liking. Been to lots of B and Bs and probably would not go back to this one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy F
iowa
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Beautiful old home with lots of history, very hospitable, room was perfect with a large tv, movies, lavish bath and atmosphere. Came back later for a Murder Mystery and had the time of our lives. Breakfast was wonderfull and service was excelent. Thank you Walt.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful mansion for our 4 year wedding anniversary. We found it on the internet, booked the room and drove from Fort Collins not knowing what to expect. As we approached the beautiful building, we were greeted by Julie, the very hospitable owner. She directed us out back, where the murder mystery event was just getting started. The acting was hilarious and it was fun and something totally different than anything we have done before. The dinner was good, and the room we stayed in was gorgeous and clean. We loved the jetted jacuzzi in the room, the flat screen tv with dvds, and the really comfortable bed. In the morning, we had a fabulous breakfast and talked to Julie about the history and events that take place. It was a great little getaway that we will be sure to do again!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Thanks ST970,

These are the kind of reviews we live for at the Lumber Baron! We're up very early in the morning, and up late at night making sure we can provide the kind of quality experience that reflects our workload. We're a mom and pop business- the kind that build America. Industry studies reveal the average burn-out rate for new innkeepers is somewhere around four years and I can't believe I'm already approaching 20 years of hosting guests from all over the world. The secret could in fact be the reviews. No, not the reviews on the internet- there's so much anonymity and questionable sources. I'm talking about the reviews that guests write, by hand, in our room journals each night. It reminds me that our world still has gracious, wonderful people and that we're so lucky to have them visit us at the Lumber Baron- guests just like our Fort Collins friends: ST970!!!