“Great place to stay for a wedding”

Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC Area
“Great place to stay for a wedding”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I stayed at the Castle Marne for one night to attend a wedding at the Denver Botanical Garden. I wanted to be near a place that was walking distance (only about 10 mins) and Castle Marne fit the bill. I arrived very early on an east coast flight and Jim was gracious enough to seat me for breakfast the day I arrived! Breakfast was nice and tasty. I stayed in the Raymond Room which was a small room, adequate for my needs, with a great balcony (that also included a hot tub). The location of the b&b gave me a chance to walk around to the Molly Brown House Museum and Colfax Ave to check out this great "green" philanthropic cafe called "So All May Eat (SAME) Cafe" (just a note: Colfax is a street 'in transition' so I wouldn't recommend walking at evening unless your familiar with the area).
All in all my stay was great, and the price was right. I enjoyed the evening cookie service and wished I didn't have such an early flight the next day (about 6am out of DEN) so I could enjoy my room more. I would definitely recommend this b&b to others coming to Denver.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Burbank, CA
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I found this gem of a B & B on the Internet. Jim, my host, was most accomidating. My flight arrived late into Denver and though it was well past check in time, Jim was there to greet me. My room was on the top floor and offered a fantastic view of Denvers skyline. The breakfast served was most delicious. They served crepes filled with egg, cheese and asparagus, with fresh fruit on the side. Having traveled extensively around the world, staying mostly in B & B's, I found the Castle Marne to be one of my favorite places to stay. My hosts Jim and Diane should be commended for the outstanding service they provide. They truly make their guests feel welcome. I would highly recommend this place to anyone that appreciates comfort and cleanliness. The next time I go to Denver, I know where I'll be staying.
Catherine,
Burbank, CA

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Michigan
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at the Castle Marne when we were attending a conference in Denver, but enjoyed our stay so much that we almost felt like we were on vacation. The home is beautifully restored and our hosts were friendly, informative, and continually concerned for our comfort. The breakfasts are wonderful and tea in the evenings is not to be missed. We stayed in the spacious tower room on the 3rd floor of the home and we would definitely try to book it again on a return trip. There are a number of unique and excellent restaurants within several blocks, and walking through the historic neighborhood is relaxing and enjoyable. Most of our meetings were at the Conference Center, which is about 2 miles from the Castle Marne. We walked part of the time and then picked-up a city bus (1 block away) when we had early morning meetings. We highly recommend the Castle Marne.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Colorado Springs
Reviewed December 29, 2008

The Castle Marne was a beautiful place to share our anniversary! If you want a quiet place to get away, you must go there - once inside the quaint room, enjoying the hot tea left out for you by the gracious host and hostess, you will never guess that you are minutes away from downtown Denver. The breakfast was beautiful, the moonlight shining in the window at night very romantic, and we enjoyed all the special details everywhere. A historic building with a lot of character turned into a delightful inn by experienced innkeepers. You will love it!

• Liked — Beautiful, quiet room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Edgewood, Kentucky
Reviewed December 11, 2008

The term "castle" is misleading when referring to Castle Marne. Other castles I have visited are dark and damp. This Castle is warm and inviting, so do not be mislead by the title. The food is excellent and the hosts charming and very helpful. For afternoon tea, we had homemade scones with lemon curd, shortbread, lemon bars, white chocolate pretzels, truffles, etc. If you are in Denver, you should stay here. Cheaper than downtown hotels, close to downtown and much more inviting. You will not be disappointed!

• Liked — The hosts and the food
  • Disliked — Some of the rooms are smaller
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Entering the front doors of the "Castle Marne", two words come to mind and seem to blend in perfect harmony. Those two words are "timeless" and "treasure". A timeless treasure is exactly what the "Castle Marne" is and will always be. From the moment you step in the front door you are treated like a long lost family member. The "Castle Marne" staff goes above and beyond the call of duty. Any question you have about the area, they give you a true and honest answer, and if they don't know the answer they will find someone who does. If you are looking for where the "locals" eat, and want to avoid the national chains, the staff can recommend you numerous quality places in the area, and many within walking distance! They even have a stash of menus from the local eateries to help you decide. The afternoon teas and snacks along with the evening tea and cookies are beyond amazing! You MUST make time in your schedule to indulge in these events, it made our whole trip! We often seem to rush around and not notice the little things in life. Taking in the atmosphere of the "Castle Marne" along with the wonderful treats is the ultimate relaxation of the senses as far as we're concerned. The breakfasts are beyond justifiable description and are an absolute must. I didn't ask about the menu as far as whether it is rotating or decided on a whim, but the food is truly exceptional. We enjoyed broccoli and cheese quiche one morning, chile rellanos the next, and wrapped our trip up with wonderful Belgian waffles. Fresh baked muffins accompanied the main dish each morning and each morning there were new muffin options. The egg nog muffins topped with a cinnamon and nutmeg were incredible! Tea, coffee, and juice is available as a beverage choice. We have never stayed at a bed and breakfast but are now hooked since staying at the "Castle Marne". Words cannot describe our stay and we will most likely be back VERY soon. Thank you, thank you, thank you "Castle Marne", you are a true gem to the hospitality industry! Oh...we almost forgot to mention our room! Our room was an oasis! The claw-foot tub was extremely relaxing as well as the bed! The bed was topped with a feather bed and very comfortable pillows, we think that they were gel based. We fell asleep every night in extreme relaxation! We almost missed our flight on the last day because we were so cozy! Again, don't pass the "Castle Marne" up...it is a pure delight!

• Liked — The staff, the atmosphere, the tea, the breakfasts, the treats...everything!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Stayed two nights during the election. The Inn is wonderful. Beautifully resotored and very comfortable. I had a room on the third floor wih an in room bath. The bed was very comfy. The breakfast was wonderful, hot and tasty. The innkeepers are a very friendly and hospitable couple. There was WiFi throughout and use of a computer with a printer for printing boarding passes. I will deifnately stay here again and recomend to anyone that prefers comfy Inns over "McRooms". the only downer was no TV in the rooms or the Inn for that matter. Traveling weekly I like to get the news and such.
They did bring a TV into the parlor for election returns which was appreciated.
The area is historic and if you are fearful of people on the street you could be uncomfortable. I walked down Colfax to dinner one night and was not scared but i could see some being so if you are not use to city life. I also ran around City Park which was a welcome change from running around malls when I stay in hotels. The area made no difference to me as I am comfortable with street people and prefer urban neighborhoods. There are plenty of dining options within a breif walk or even breifer drive.

• Liked — Just a great old Inn with a welcoming staff
  • Disliked — nothing