“The most welcoming home”

Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Holyoke, Massachusetts
“The most welcoming home”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was the most wonderful bed and breakfast that I've ever stayed in. I felt right at home with the most hospitable owners. The home's architecture inside and out is incredible as well as the exquisite furniture and decorative pieces. The atmosphere was very pleasant and peaceful. Love the ongoing puzzle in the alcove area and the sitting area where tea and treats are set out for your enjoyment. Such beautiful well kept gardens outdoors. Breakfast was very enjoyable and satisfying.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 200Karen
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay. You know, we just bought some new puzzles. Better get over here and get to work.

But seriously, thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from our guests. Jim has been busy in the garden. This June while my folks were on their well deserved month long vacation, the rose garden exploded with flowers. It took my staff and me hours each day to care for Jim's flower children. The heat of July slowed the blooms down a bit but now in late August, the riot of colors and blossoms are back in abundance.

Try coming back during the holidays, the Castle is dressed in her holiday finest.

Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your visit with future TripAdvisor guests.

Melissa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in Melissa's Room and really enjoyed the quaint room. Breakfast was delicious and all of the staff were friendly, helpful and a real treat to get to know. We plan on staying here again, for a longer period of time and in Raymond's room because it has a hot tub on the balcony. Our friends stayed in that room and we shared the hot tub, it was fun! The morning we were leaving to drive home we had a flat tire! On the morning we were getting ready to drive home, we found we had a flat tire! We received bad emergency road service from Geico, and ended up borrowing a jack and receiving the great assistance of the Innkeeper, I think it was Jim. We were so pleasantly surprised and grateful to have this additional attention paid to us in our time of need. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH~!!!! My husband said to mention how classy and elegant the Inn was too. :)

Room Tip: Melissa's room is small but fine for two people. Raymond's room has a hot tube on the balcon...
Green Features: They were environmentally friendly. The linens were conserved using standard practices.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa here, of the famous Melissa room. Thank you for your review. Actually the Melissa room really is named after me. When I was growing up my parents, Jim and Diane collected antiques and our home was like a museum. When we opened the Castle Marne 24 years ago we needed furniture for the smallest room in the house. My dresser and some pictures which had been in my room as a child went into that room. It may be a small room, but the price is right and it has a queen size bed. As you noted the Raymond room isn't much larger, has a smaller bed but the private hot tub on the private balcony makes that room really great.

Thank you also for your comments about "going above and beyond the call..." to care for our guests. It was actually my husband Louie who saw you outside with the flat tire. He was happy to assist.

We look forward to having you and your friends back again soon.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I can't recommend Castle Marne B&B more highly. The house is a wonderful step back in time - the antiques, the old world charm, and the warmth of the hosts, Jim, Diane, and their wonderful family! We loved our four-poster bed with the set of stairs to climb up into it. We loved the elegant and cosy sitting room with iced tea and cakes each afternoon. But most of all, we loved talking with Jim and the family!! Jim and Dianne are national treasures and can tell you about the history of Denver and the best places to go. Their impressive daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren were also very welcoming and easy to talk to. We loved them all!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
castlemarne, Owner at Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am embarrassed that I have not responded before now. Please accept my apologies! Jim and Diane send their regards as do the rest of us. Again we appreciate you taking the time to share your Castle experience with future TripAdvisor guests.

If you are very back this way again, we look forward to seeing you.

Be Well,
Alkmaar, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Castle Marne is a wonderful B&B. We stayed here for 4 days in July 2013 and if we go back to Denver we will definitely stay here again. The Inn keeper- Jim was so helpful in giving us a room for the three nights, we didn't book ahead, we only arrived and asked for accommodation, they were quit full already but he helped us so nicely and we had a great time.
We stayed in the Mason Suite which had a 2 person hot tub in the room, it was so beautiful and romantic.
The breakfast each morning was so delicious and I liked that all the guest sat around the big dinning table,talking and exchanging some stories. The staff is excellent and Jim knows a lot of interesting stories about Denver's history!
I loved everything about this B&B from the room and the house to the cute garden outside.
It is a wonderful location close to the City park and the downtown center
Thank YOU for an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
What a lovely review, thank you very much. I am embarrassed however that I have not responded to you before now. Seems that the B&B and responding to reviews got away from me. We appreciate you sharing your Castle experience with future TripAdvisor guests. Thank you very much.

If you are ever back in Denver, it will be our pleasure to welcome you "home" again.

Waco, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We fell in love with this charming old home. It's beautiful and very well maintained. The owners go out of their way to see that each guest is comfortable. They are extremely pleasant, knowledgeable about the area and city history. The location is great because of the close proximity to historical sites, neighborhood restaurants, easy to get to shopping areas, and Mile High Stadium. It also was very easy to find. Don't let the picture fool you. Castle Marne is absolutely beautiful inside and out with all the comforts of home. We WILL be going back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tower room, which is very large. The only downfall, and it definitely will NOT kee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
What a wonderful thing to say abut us, Thank you! I must apologize however for not responding to you before now. I am quite embarrassed, you wrote this a year ago! We are pleased that you enjoyed everything and that you will come back. Call us direct and we'll get you booked into the perfect room for you.

Beautiful Colorado
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We enjoyed our overnight stay at the Castle Marne to attend the Cherry Creek Art Festival. The location of this beautiful historic B&B is excellent, within walking distance to several nice and casual restaurants. Loved the availability of free parking on Race Street and behind the property. The service and staff were excellent. We loved the spaciousness of the Tower Room. We also enjoyed the tea in the afternoon and lovely breakfast in the morning.

A couple of things we weren't as crazy about...
We understood at time of booking that the bathroom was not ensuite for this particular room but were looking for the larger bed and chose it as the bathroom was described as a few steps down the hall. You are given a key to a tiny bathroom but it is private. This arrangement turned out to be more of a problem than we anticipated due to efforts to stay hydrated during the day resulting in a couple of visits to the WC in the middle of the night. You have to remember to take your key, put on a robe to walk down the hallway--maybe 15 feet or so, past another room to the bathroom. You end up waking up more having to think of so many things. So, if you are a camel, this issue may not be a problem for you as it was for us.

The other thing that was less of an issue but thought I would share since it was a bit of a surprise is that you choose one of two breakfast seatings of either 8 AM or 9:30 AM the night before. While you can understand this from an operations standpoint, I think we generally prefer to have a leisurely morning and show up to breakfast whenever we're ready to go.

All in all, it is a wonderful location, beautiful historic property and a very pleasant experience. We do, however, feel that it is rather expensive for one of the larger rooms with an ensuite bathroom so may not choose it again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet but a few of the more reasonable rooms with bathrooms look to be quite cramp...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from our guests and getting their feedback. But first I must apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Please accept my apologies for this huge oversight. I don't know how I missed responding to you. Thank you for your kind thoughts about the house and staff, we appreciate reading that. We are sorry for the inconvenience of Tower's bathroom being down the hall. During construction we fretted about how to get the plumbing for the bath in that room. There was simply no way we could make that happen.

We appreciate your comments and we hope that the next time you are in town for the Art's Festival you will give us another chance with a different room.

Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

First I want to say that the pictures of this beautiful home do not do it justice. The place is gorgeous! Furnished with period furniture it was comfortably and restful. The inn keepers made us feel right at home and enjoyed telling stories about their home and the surrounding area. I would go back in a heartbeat!

1 Thank Joyce L
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. I must however apologize for not responding to you sooner. I am quite embarrassed. I fell down on the job last July. I'm working at doing a better job this year.

On behalf of the family and staff of Castle Marne, we look forward to having you back again soon.