“North African/Modern French Hidden Gem”
Review of Bistro Barbes

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2018 via mobile

Bistro Barbes

Summary: truly a unique, hidden gem! Who would have guessed we have a North African inspired modern French restaurant in Park Hill? And it's been here for four years!

Location/Parking: Park Hill, near Elm and 26th Street. Street parking only.

Ambiance: small and narrow; nothing too fancy; elements of North African culture.

Service: top notch! A very high-level that you would expect at the most expensive French restaurants.

Cocktails: we tried a house drink made from spiced cranberry shrub and ginger beer.  It contained the spice called fenugreek. It was very exotic. It set the tone for the evening.

Amuse-bouche: complimentary, ever-changing. Ours was tasty.

Appetizers: we selected the beef cheeks. They were extremely rich, but paired nicely with a more sweet and tangy coleslaw mix.

Salads: we split the shaved pear salad as an appetizer as well. It came over a bed of brie cream and figs, topped with a red wine-cacao gastrique.

Entrees: they were out of duck leg, so they informed us they would be substituting it for duck breast. Toni and I still ordered the duck, and it was cooked to perfection! It was set atop of saffron basmati rice, roasted brussel sprouts, and butternut squash chips. Bob ordered the hanger steak. It looked amazing! It was served with raclette over a bed of kale. I tasted some of the steak and it was really delicious.

Desserts: we had been warned that the desserts are fairly small, but we still decided just to split one dessert among the three of us. It was perfect. We ordered the chocolate hazelnut creme brulee. It was definitely a different take on this traditional dessert, as it did not come in a ramiken, but was served over a pool of rosewater-infused white chocolate with supremed orange segments, and petit meringue cookies.

All in all, this was a great experience! I highly recommend checking it out. We visited on the Thursday night before Christmas and it was very slow. Hopefully they get much more business soon!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

We booked this intimate restaurant for our daughter’s 28th birthday. The menu is small but has enough variety. All of the ingredients are at the height of freshness.

We started with a zucchini gazpacho with creme fraiche amuse bouche and it was lovely. Then, we tried all three of the available appetizers: French gnocchi with escargot, Pork Belly en Croute, and PEI Mussels. All three were amazing.

Then we tried two of three salads: grilled carrots and three bean. Both were excellent. The three bean was completely different than any I’ve had before and the grilled carrots and other vegetables were carmelized and delicious.

The group tried three of four available entrees: Alamosa bass, grilled ribeye sliced and fanned, and duck. All were absolutely delicious. The bass had a crispy skin and was just about the best piece of fish I have eaten anywhere, anytime.

For dessert I had Foie Gras pound cake. No one else was particularly impressed by their dessert, though everyone loved the savory food choices.

In sum, definitely go and try the apps, salads, and entrees but just have a cappuccino after.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed May 27, 2018

Four friends enjoyed a wonderful meal at this cozy authentic bistro on a Saturday night. The monkfish was superb. Cooked to perfection and delicately seasoned. Two in our party enjoyed the duck and commented that it was done just right. The salads and appetizers were fresh and seasonal. Save room for desserts. They were exceptional. The menu is not lengthy but each dish is obviously handed with care. The room was not full so it was quiet and cozy.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

I’m lucky to have this little gem in walking distance from my house. I was so disappointed when it made top 25 of denver a few years ago as I figured I’d never find a spot in this tiny restaurant. I’m not a big fish eater except at this restaurant. It’s exceptional as are the salads and apps that change frequently on the small menu. Really good!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed January 22, 2018

Bistro Barbes is a very small intimate dining experience with excellent food and service. It is hidden in a residential neighborhood, but worth the search. Small changing menu of wonderful freshly prepared food. I had an appetizer, salad and entree. Everything was great, including tasting the dishes from the three other people at my table. Nothing let us down.

Date of visit: January 2018