“GREAT LOCATION, AWFUL HOTEL”

Super 8 Denver Midtown
Ranked #108 of 157 Hotels in Denver
New York
“GREAT LOCATION, AWFUL HOTEL”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Only picked it for its proximity to downtown and its price. Thought it was a bargain...for a crack house. Broken door frame, dirty bedsheets with cigarette burns; toilet had no top and there was a hole in the bathroom floor (see photos posted). The phone didn't work as all the buttons were missing or punched out; needless to say had to use the cell phone to call front desk. After my complaints to them, all they could offer was to move us to another room. No thanks, after one night we were so out of here. DO NOT COME HERE, unless you really do need that fix.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Beecher, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Oh, where to begin... We arrived around 5:30pm and found that office was locked. The carpetting was ripped out and there was garbage strewn about the entire office. I looked down the way and there were three little boys who obviously were living in one of the rooms with someone. We noticed the sign in the window telling us check in was at the Ramada Inn next door. The room had been pre-paid so we decided to give it a try. The clerk told us we had a pool side room. We pulled around to where the clerk told us the easiest access was and unloaded our stuff.

As we were unloading there was a little girl running around with a toy broom and a puppy who also obviously lived there. We carried our bags to the room and were amazed that the key card actually worked in the door. As we entered, the puppy also entered but he didn't stay long. There were holes in the wall and the bathroom door and only one light worked. I plugged a few lamps back in and found one are wires that I decided it was best that we forgo it's use.

The carpeting was stained and it looked there was vomit ground into the carpeting. The TV worked but the remote would not allow you to scroll through the channels or change the volume. There was no phone or alarm clock. The best part was the bathroom. The toilet worked and the shower was hot. The bathroom was relatively clean. Another positive was that the air blew cold air.....continuously. Luckily it was hot out so that was OK. I wouldn't stay here in the winter as there was at least a one inch gap around the whole door.
Now that we were in we decided to check out the pool. When we tried to open the door to leave but the door handle came off and I had a sudden moment of panic that we had become trapped in the Bates Motel but after a little work we escaped. The gate was open and the water was actually clear. There were several issues though. The pool was only half full, all the pool maintenence tools were under water at the bottom of the pool and someone had thrown hundreds of rocks into the pool. Perhaps the little boys were bored. We decided swimming wasn't necessary.

We actually had comfortable beds and got a good night's (or maybe Knight's)sleep. The next morning as we were leaving our neighbor, who also obviously lived there, asked us if we wanted to buy a personal DVD player. We told him no and he walked away drinking his 24 ounce can of Keystone Ice. This was at 8 am.. We thought maybe we could recommend a better brand of beer to him but decided not too.

When we got back I noticed that someone had previously hammered a Miller High Life bottle cap into the ceiling. As if by a miracle the beds had been made and we had a new set of towels.

After reading some of the other reviews here I have to say that I am now feeling pretty lucky. You see it didn't stink as others have stated and luckily for us the water was always clear. We did try to see if we were entittled to the continental breakfast at the Ramada but were told we would have to pay $5 so be forwarned!

During some of the time the puppy was at least on a leash. However on the last day he was off again. He paid us another visit in the room but didn't stay long this time either. There was a good reason this time. There was a half eaten pizza outside of our neighbors door and the discriminating pup was snacking on the pepperoni.

OK, I'm sure you get my drift here. STAY AWAY, the place is scary. It should be condemned used for practice for the Denver fire department. It did have a very nice view of the downtown Denver skyline!......

Room Tip: the best tip I can give is....DON'T DO IT. RUN AWAY
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Rolla, Missouri
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Ok, so my wife and her collegue had a presentation to make and the ACS conference here in Denver. I booked the room through Wyndham (I am a Wyndham employee) and got a good deal on the room. When we got there the room number was handwritten, the AC didn't work and it smelled BAD. The girl at the front desk was nice enough to set us up at the Days Inn for no extra charge (since I had already paid the Wyndham property). It's a good thing she did. What would have been our second night there we found out from the local news that a man was SHOT TO DEATH. http://www.kjct8.com/news/29013540/detail.html
This link is to it. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank james h
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This motel is conveniently located near Mile High but the good stops there. The buildings are falling down, electrical code violations everywhere and the place appears to have never been cleaned. Resist the temptation to stay at the adjacent Ramada as it appeared just as mismanaged and dirty. The ramada staff are responsible for check in/out and appear to run this establishment. This reflects poorly on Ramada and I'm holding this visit against them.

• Stayed May 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I do not know how to start. I have lost my speech. I had to put a star for them, I wish to do a minus 5.
I booked through hotwire and got the review here. I am not in a mood to put it on sentences. I am just pointing out what happened……..
1. Reception was closed, in a small paper tagged on a window and advised to go to Ramada hotel for booking.
2. I have phoned twice from London that I prefer a upper level room and was assured and after reaching there they said they do not have any and then I was given one. I walked good 10 minutes and got up in level one and found that the room is in ground floor. It was dreadful after 15 hour journey. Then I was given a room in level 1.
3. Room was smelly.
4. Carpet was filthy and bad smell was coming out of it.
5. Lights were not working.
6. Shower was not working and I was not in a position to use the toilet even as it was that dirty.
7. Presence of police in next room as someone local called them as it was that bad and police told them they cannot take any action.
8. Most unhelpful service. No one came and asked me to get the luggage or to show me the room.
9. Room heater was making noise and it was also smelly. I got a feeling that I may get pneumonia if use the heater so I worn warm cloth and got into the bed.
10. Waredrops were dirty and broken

I cannot imagine that this sort of hotel may exist on earth. Surprisingly enough, I don’t know from where they got the receptionists, who has the skin of an old elephant- a perfect combination. I told them that if it were in UK, you guys would be arrested for that. I suffered and I don’t want anyone to go in that route. I have written to Hotwire and hope they will investigate further and will not send anyone. My suggestion, if you are unlucky enough to get a booking there, just cancel it or ask hotwire. Just do not go there. Forget about your money, better loose it than live there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travelcritic007
Sheridan, Wyoming
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Might as well spend a few more dollars a night and get a better quality motel. When arriving at the motel it was unclear where to check in. There were broken beer bottles laying around by the stairs and in front of the old check in office. We later found that you check in next door. They asked us if we wanted a smoking or non smoking room. We said non, but when we walked in the room it stunk like smoke and alcohol. There was blood on the shower curtain. Not to mention the abundance of dirt, cobwebs, filth, hair, and other bloody looking areas around the room. Many health and electric violations. Absolutely fillfy. Dirty socks sat on the balcony and crack head neighbors lived in the room next to us. I felt so disgusted I couldn't even walk on the floor without shoes or sleep in the bed. I went to shower and the water was yellow for the first two mins it was on. Also, there was absolutely not warm/hot water. So I didn't even shower. If you expect to pay 70 dollars for a decent place where you can take your shoes off, shower, and even sleep comfortably. Than DONT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed October 16, 2010

You should never stay here. The room was clean enough, but the place is a dump and the service was terrible. We knew it was a bad sign when the office was located in the Ramada next door. Then, there was a loud party (actually at the Ramada) that went late. We called the office twice, and they refused to do anything about it. We had to be up at 5 am the next morning, so you can imagine how excited we were about that. Stay away!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple