“Comfort food and hand crafted cocktails”

Steuben's Food Service
Ranked #28 of 3,021 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: What are your first three food and drink related visits when you head to your hometown? What do you order? Fried Clams from Kelly's? Supreme Sauce from Raynor's? A slice from Joe's? A take out order of a green-chili cheeseburger from The Owl Cafe? Maybe it's that hot dog from Pink's or those sticky ribs from Thelma's. Or do you head home for a bowl of Mom's chicken soup and brisket? We return to these classic spots for the comfort, the subtly unique flavor, the consistency, the familiarity, and the memories of both the food and the experience. Only one place can set the standard for certain foods. Lovers of food have their own "greatest hits collection." We yearn for that blissful moment that uses the powers of food, smell, sight, taste, and memory to take us to a happy place; that after school hangout, the corner deli, the pizza place and sometimes even Mom's kitchen. Steuben's is named after a restaurant in Boston that my Great Uncles, Max and Joe, opened in 1945. Steuben's became a famous Boston restaurant, nightclub, and hotspot from the 1940's to the 1960's on Boylston Street. The Vienna Room, The Cave, and The Blue Room were all part of the Steuben's space and hosted Big Band, Jazz, and Swing groups with The Rat Pack, Proms and Sweet Sixteens and more. In its prime, Steuben's was the center of the Boston dining and nightlife scene. Steuben's, Denver, is a restaurant that respects the history of its name and the core ingredients of the American Regional classics we have attempted to recreate. These dishes are America's cuisine and American's interpretations of the dishes of our diverse cultural heritage. We have enjoyed the endless debates, opinions, stories, research, consultations and food memories that have led us to the opening version of the Steuben's menu. Eat at Steuben's. Take-Out from Steuben's. Drink at Steuben's. Feel at home, in Denver, at Steuben's.
Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Comfort food and hand crafted cocktails”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The cocktails are excellent and hand crafted, but that also means they will take longer to reach the table than a vodka/soda or popping a beer. Keep that in mind. The staff is friendly and efficient, but don't feel slighted if they spend a little more time at other tables. This is a restaurant of locals and regulars, I am not either of the two living four hours away from Denver. However, I always stop at Stuben's when I pass through Denver. It has a cool vibe that reminds me of the Doug Fir in Portland, OR. The food is solid. I am slowly working my way through the menu. The best item I've had is the Cuban sandwich. It's actually so good that it is hard to order other items off the menu. That's a nice problem to have when ordering at a restaurant.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have to be honest - we haven't had the best luck with restaurants featured on TV shows. However Steubens was wonderful! We arrived a little before noon so didn't have to wait but was full when we left. My husband decided to switch his order and they weren't flustered at all. The server was fantastic. Great gluten free options menu.... I had the famous herbed chicken. Great for lunch. Can't comment on dinner but quality was outstanding.

Visited April 2013
Aurora, Colorado
“Amazingly excellent service. Food was hit and miss.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for dinner. We got a great seat out on the front patio on a beautiful night. First, I must say that the service at this place is nothing short of wonderful. Our server Brittany M. was so great and knew everything about the food and was always there when we needed her. Our food was hit and miss. For our apps we ordered the Steubie Snacks and the Gravy Fries. The gravy fries were sooooo yummy it was ridiculous. We did not love the Steubie Snacks as they were super dry but the sauce served with them was so yummy, we wished we had something better to dip in it. For our entrees, I ordered the lobster roll and my husband ordered the Brisket. His was great. The lobster in my lobster roll was way overcooked and really really chewy (like many chews to get a piece down) and so I did something I have rarely ever done and returned my food. I ordered the meatloaf and it was super yummy so all was good. I have to say that the replacement of my entree happened within a minute which helped us avoid the problem of my husband being done with his food just when I get mine. So, that was really great. For dessert, we ordered the coconut cake which had good taste to it, but we really wished it weren't so refrigerated that it almost seemed frozen. So it was kind of hard and wasn't as good as it seemed like it could have been.

The atmosphere at Steuben's was fun and relaxed. The people watching from our patio table was great on a Saturday evening. And like I said, the service was amazing from the host desk to our server to the people who brought out our food (who by the way, describe your food beautifully to you after they set it down). Some of the food we loved, some not so much. But we will surely go back. Because of the amazing service and atmostphere, I'm giving this place a four despite our issues with some of the food. We will certainly go back to Steuben's.

Detroit, MI
“Best Introd to Denver Food!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

First time in Denver this past weekend, and this was our first stop. We walked about a mile from our hotel, and it was well worth it.

The deviled eggs were the best I've ever had, and probably will ever have!

The gravy fries (known as poutine in Canada and US border states) was the best I've ever had in the US! Canada still wins on that one...

In the group we had the lobster roll, monte cristo, brisquet, and blackened chicken club. Every body was pleased with there choices. Couldn't have been better!

MO
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Last time, we were put off by the wait. This time, about 20 mins. Time to review a very broad menu (I could eat here every day for a long time!). Steubie snacks to wait (very lightly fried lean pork sugar bites) were unique (=good). Hot dog for the kiddo with a raft of really good for you kid friendly sides. Etouffee for me and lobster roll for mama. Meaty roll and competent etouffee. Half dill pickles should be on supermarket shelves.