“Nice rooms - staff okay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown
Ranked #21 of 154 Hotels in Denver
Casper, Wyoming
“Nice rooms - staff okay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed for pleasure. The staff was for the "upper crust." They were not "rude" but stuffy. We had children and didn't quite feel warmly welcomed. I'm sure if we were there for business things would have been different.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DHinkle2, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear Aleegator,

I would like to thank you for choosing us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown for your recent family vacation. We deeply apologize for the way in which our staff interacted with you during your stay.

As a team we strive to make every guest feel welcome, and we apologize that we failed to make your family as comfortable as possible. We thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We will utilize your review to ensure the staff is more engaging and friendly in order to make every guest feel more relaxed at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown.

On behalf of our entire staff we thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown and we hope that when your travels bring you back to Denver we will be given an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Dustin Hinkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
Juneau, AK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Downtown Denver over a long weekend in October 2010.

We arrived at the property shortly after noon. I knew this was a bit early to attempt a check-in but we tried anyway, thinking we could stow our bags and walk around on the nearby 16th Street Mall for a few hours. As anticipated, the room was not ready but the front desk clerk said he could get us into a nicer room right away. We accepted this offer and went up to the room. However, the keys issued to us would not unlock the door. Luckily, the housekeeping crew was cleaning a nearby room and let us in to ours. I called the front desk and explained the situation. The fellow who checked us in was on the scene within minutes with a set of keys that did work.

The room's air conditioning was turned off and, as it was a warm day, the room was hot and stuffy. The control would not go to cool so I again called the front desk. Again, the response was immediate as the engineer came to the room within minutes and repaired the control switch just as rapidly.

That was the good news; the not-so-good news was that the thermostat could not be set lower than 68 degrees. Upon checking with the front desk staff, I was told that this was the result of a Hilton or Blackstone Group policy, something along the lines of an effort to "go green". I've been a guest at many Hilton properties across the country and this is the first one at which I have run up against this policy. I like a cooler room temperature-wise, especially at night, and the 68 degree setting didn't quite get the job done the first two nights of our stay. It shouldn't be a problem in the winter but it gets hot in Denver in the summer. I can appreciate the concern for the environment, but not at the expense of a good night's sleep.

Room issues aside, I have to give high praise to the hotel staff across the board. Every one of them made an effort to say hello, how is everything, are you happy with your stay, etc. They were extremely responsive. Wife and I truly felt like valued guests at this hotel.

This facility is ideally situated if you are in town for an event at the convention center. It's basically right across the street. It's also two blocks from the aforementioned 16th Street Mall. I haven't been to Denver in 20 years and was really impressed with all the work that has been done in the downtown core - the result is an easily walkable environment with plenty of interesting places to visit and great places to eat. Many buildings have been lovingly restored and the link to Denver's illustrious past is clear. We made two visits to the REI flagship store that is past Union Station - take the free mall bus to the northern terminus and walk across the river via an architecturally-unique cable-stayed pedestrian bridge. Walking to and from the Broncos game was a bit more arduous but doable (I wouldn't advise it for a night game, though).

The Pi restaurant in the lobby served up a great breakfast.

I would stay here again for my next trip to Denver, but it would probably be in the winter - I just don't think I would be comfortable there in the summer without being able to adjust the room temperature below 68 degrees.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stayed here for some meetings I was having at the hotel. The rooms are nothing special but the location makes up for less than spectacular rooms. Just a block and a half from 16th street where there are loads of things to do. Overall, it was a good hotel for what I needed it for. Within walking distance to everything we did, which is nice as the hotel parking was $26/day. Has a small but useable gym. If have meetings in Denver again will look at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hgidenverdowntown, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear sd_carlsbad_NM,

I would like to thank you for choosing Hilton Worldwide and us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location so close to the 16th Street pedestrian mall.

We strive to make every guest feel at home and relaxed, on behalf of our entire staff here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Central Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

The staff was extremely friendly from the moment we walked in the door. The printer in the business center was out of ink and within 5 minutes the maintenance guy, Jimmie, was there to help. The bed was so comfortable, I slept better than i did at home (although the absent snoring husband factor may have had a little to do with that). The little coffee shop on the way out the door was so convenient. We were within walking distance to the convention center and the 16th Street Mall. The fitness center was great! I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.......

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Dear Juanita97756

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing; I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially our staff, and location.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

The hotel is located in a great spot - steps away from the action, but far enough to avoid high-traffic areas. The corridors and rooms are quiet, which is a dream for a business traveler.

I wanted to like this hotel, as I enjoy the Garden Inn brand in general, but the staff was so MEH. They weren't rude, they weren't friendly, they weren't anything. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they all received some bad news that day.

The valet guys were great on the other hand. Very friendly and acknowledging.

I may try the hotel again for future travel based on the quality of the amenities. It is a good hotel for a low-maintenance business traveler who likes great amenities but doesn't require much service. However, If you are looking for a wow experience this isn't it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
hgidenverdowntown, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Josherrific,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Worldwide and us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location so close to many of the attractions Denver has to offer such as the 16th street pedestrian mall. I apologize that you felt our staff did not go the extra mile and really make sure that you have a wonderful experience.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Montgomery County, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife and I had a sudden change in travel plans that brought us to Denver a day earlier than we expected. We had a reservation for the next night at the Hampton Inn near the Denver Airport. Since we enjoy urban amenities we booked a single night at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown. Although we had stayed in downtown Denver in the past, I was not familiar with this facility. It was an excellent choice.

As Hilton honors VIP guests we were greeted as such. Our reservation was in order; the room was spotless. I enjoyed the lounge in the restaurant. The business center was sufficient for our use, getting email and printing boarding passes, etc.

This hotel is in a great location for visiting downtown Denver. Since the downtown is compact, it is very walkable. We had dinner downtown and watched a very forgettable movie at the United Artists theaters a few blocks away.

The next morning we walked to and visited the impressive capitol building. We had lunch at a "burger" grill near the capitol. It touts its product as the best burger in Denver. I don't know about that, but the food I had in this casual setting was very good. We strolled the entire length of the 16th street mall.

I chose not to park in the hotel lot. I used a meter for a few minutes to check in. Then I used a ground level lot diagonally across from the back of the hotel. The lot charged $6.00 for the overnight and $8.00 from 6:00 AM until midnight. It was a etter deal for me and entirely acceptable alternative for a casual traveler.

When we checked out during the morning we had the hotel hold our computers. After spending the entire day visiting downtown we returned to use the restrooms and pick up the computers. Again the staff was most gracious.

Consider this property for a fine downtown hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hgidenverdowntown, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear JEDMAD_9

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel with its unique urban setting located in the heart of downtown Denver! Many guests really enjoy how they are able to walk to many of the great attractions that Denver has to offer, and I am glad to hear that you agree.

Omaha, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed in Denver for one night and got a great rate at this hotel. 100 bucks for downtown Denver on a Saturday was pretty nice. There was a restaurant and a coffee shop there, but no free breakfast or breakfast coupons. A nice hotel with a great, comfy bed. But, nothing to cry home about. If your looking for just a place to sleep, then this would work perfect. Don't valet! $26 to valet when you can park free behind the hotel. We made this mistake.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear kirkusmaximus

I would like to thank you for choosing Hilton Worldwide and us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Denver-Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our guest rooms.