“All hope Abandon Ye Who Enter Here”

Valli-Hi Motor Hotel
Valli-Hi Motor Hotel
Ranked #100 of 157 Hotels in Denver
The South
“All hope Abandon Ye Who Enter Here”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

For anyone who is unfamiliar with that phrase, it was the inscription above the gates of Hell from Dante's Inferno. It would be appropriately inscribed above the office of the Valli-Hi Hotel. The only benefit to my stay at the Valli-Hi is I am now able to conclusively point out the low point of an otherwise excellent trip to Colorado.

Where to begin. . . It was late and my friend and I were just arriving in Denver and we were looking for a place to stay. As fate would have it the Val;li-Hi showed up on the GPS and we went there. The lady at the front desk was very rude (I did interupt her smoke break so I suppose I can take some of the blame), and after I paid for my night of hell we went to the room.

We got to our room only to discover there was no real door. Nothing, only a sliding glass patio door. The smell can be described fairly accurately as a mix of old sweat and cigarrette butts. The furniture and bed covers was full of cigarrette burns, the carpet was dingy, and the bathroom would strike abject terror into the hearts of anyone who values basic sanitation. The whole night I kept thinking, what a terrible way to get an STD.

The guy in the room next to us warned me about a teenage sex party going on in the room above, which explained the banging and screaming in the night. My friend and I slept with our hiking knives on the nightstand, at the ready for whatever might want to some through our door.

At any rate, we checked out as early as we could the next day and thankfully made it out unscathed, with all of our stuff intact. Perhaps I've used a little hyperbole in my descriptions; however, I think most people who have stayed here would agree they are not that far off. At any rate don't stay here. Spend the extra twenty bucks and go to somewhere with a continental breakfast that won't give you nightmares for weeks after your stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
13 Thank NeverenderTN

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Coggeshall, Essex
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I booked a last minute trip to Denver and since I was staying for ten days, and wanted to keep costs down, I figured I'd give the Valli-Hi a chance. From the photos on this website, it looked ok. I knew it wouldn't be luxury, and was going to be very basic, but was ok with that. I figured "how bad could it be?"

Boy did I overestimate this place!!!! Where do I begin?

First of all, the front doors to all the rooms are really just flimsy sliding glass doors. When I walked into my room, the smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming. The carpets were so badly stained I didn't dare walk on them with bare feet. There were cigarette burns on all the flat surfaces, the chairs were fithy and the fabric on them badly stained. The bathroom was so gross with mold, missing tiles and patchy repaired areas. It really left me feeling disgusting. Also the motel is located directly off the freeway with constant car noise penetrating the thin sliding glass door and walls.

I don't know why I didn't just immediately check out. Though in my defense, I had just spent 15 hours traveling from England and had no way of finding another hotel that late at night. So I made the best of it and slept at the Valli-Hi for that first night, promptly checking out first thing in the morning.

I wish I'd taken pictures to display on tripadvisor. I just can't describe how bad this place was. My husband and I have traveled all over Europe, staying in very inexpensive Hostels and B&Bs that weren't the best, and none of them were anywhere near as filthy and gross as this place was!

To top it all off, my husband had phoned a local florist in Denver to have flowers delivered to me at the Valli-Hi Motel (it was Valentine's Day). I never received the flowers, though the florist swears they delivered them for me at the Valli-Hi motel. I asked at the front desk if they had my flowers and they claimed not to have received them. (though looking at this motel, I was not at all surprised by this.) Thankfully, the florist was kind enough to deliver a second bouquet to the hotel I transfered to the next day.

You definitely get what you pay for with this motel. I would absolutely never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed February 2007
10 Thank PGTipsip

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Quality Inn Denver Westminster
#59 of 157 in Denver
The Westin Westminster
The Westin Westminster
#4 of 19 in Westminster

Been to Valli-Hi Motor Hotel? Share your experiences!