“One of the best hotels!!”

Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center
Ranked #10 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I travel alot and this is one of the best hotels! First, the service is like a 5 star hotel--every request met with "certainly" "can do"; instead of the usual impersonal "can't do" or "don't know anything about it" like most hotels these days. My request to change to a quieter room was met with giving me exactly what was needed-- a room on the end on a top floor, away from the elevator and vending machines. So many times I have requested a quiet room at check in and have been given a room near a vending machine or elevator. That is the type of drone at a front desk that I often encounter where you request something specific and they nod and then don't take any of what you said into account. At this Hyatt they actually LISTENED and gave me what I wanted.

The room was beautiful, contemporary decor, plasma tv, lovely bathroom.
Room service I had each night and they told you when it would arrive and by God it did, usually within 20 minutes and there was a large convention here at the time.
The room service food was really, really good and I had the Halibut, Filet Mignon, Hamburger, dessert over the many nights.
The bar on the 27th floor had a fantastic view and the drinks were strong and relatively inexpensive considering the view and service.
A shirt sent out for pressing arrived back on time and was lovely.
All staff could not be more accommodating.
The staff seemed well trained, trained to actually be helpful. I have stayed at other Hyatt properties and really didn't care for them, so this was a pleasant surprise. I can't say enough about this hotel. I would go back there again if in the Denver area. They were kind to the teenagers who were here for the dancing convention and didn't get on their case for hanging out a bit late at night in the lobby, just sitting and laughing together. They provided a very large practice space in the hotel and didn't yell at the kids for dancing all around the hotel, which many other hotels often do.
What a lovely, lovely hotel!!
the hotel is right across the street from the convention center, just a couple blocks to downtown restaurants like Mangionno's and to shops like Forever 21 and PacSun etc.
Elevators were fast and plentiful. Lobby and hallways as well as rooms had fresh, current, contemporary decor. Bell staff was great on check in and check out and Justin was great at arranging transportation for us at 4am to airport. THANKS to everyone there!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center

Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stayed here for a 4 day conference as well as for a family visit concurrently. This is a wonderful Hyatt!!! We will definitely stay here again.

Rate was very reasonable -- "pre-pay/non-changeable" & Regency Club floor -- this was a little LESS than special conference rate for "double occupancy".

ROOM
Check in was quick and friendly. Our room was on top floor, but not a mountain view. Very clean, above average linens & comforter. We got a room w/2 beds not a king since we did not want to wait for a king room to be ready; the "double" beds are plenty big for a slim couple to share, but not for 2 larger people to share. Toiletries: generous, including toothpaste, but I did not care for the scent of bath products. Bathroom good size but NO fan! Not ideal for makeup, blow-drying after a hot shower. I ended up doing those on one of the desks. Also - a small window that opened! It was overall very quiet and we slept well.

FOOD
Lobby level Hotel restaurant "Altitude" has excellent food, both on the menu and (surprisingly to us), at the lunch buffet. Ordering off the menu made for a very LONG lunch on day 1. We then chose the soup & salad buffet on days 2 and 3 because of the wide variety of fresh, healthy, yummy choices. The asparagus lentil soup was the best lentil soup I have EVER had! You can also order the "full" lunch buffet which includes many hot dishes and sides. Do NOT miss the desserts!! Very reasonably priced for the quality & service.

We ate breakfast and some snacks in the Regency Club lounge -- it is worth the added expense to us. However, some hard boiled eggs, better yogurt choices would be nice - more protein choices. It has some nice views and a lot of seating. Kept well stocked. Just a couple kids here and there - not noisy or ill behaved. They opened early enough to accomodate getting to morning meetings afterward.

The food served during our meeting at the Hyatt was also great -- very good coffee, excellent tea & juice choices, wonderful desserts & snacks. I did not eat the designated lunches but they looked good.

SERVICE
All employees were very friendly, helpful and polite!! They seem genuinely happy to work there. Room cleaning was good. Concierge was extremely helpful getting things perfectly setup beforehand for us: working around some of my health issues/limitations, scheduling massages, a slightly late check-out @ noon.

The fitness center was set up very well, nice lap pool, outdoor hot tub. Great massages!

COMPLAINTS: none! We stay at Hyatts fairly often so we are aware of what their policy is on internet and parking. They are extra!! (except @ Hyatt Place) Although I am not thrilled with the fees, I have a hard time being angry about a hotel policy that is clearly stated on the website. There are other chains that offer internet for free-- many budget-mid range hotels. Unfortunately, I think there are very few "upscale" hotels in the U.S. that offer free internet - Hilton, Omni, and ? Try wififreespot.com for a list if it is important during your trip -- can find other businesses that do offer it.

TIPS

(1) Look up the Denver "Light Rail" system for easy and cheap transport -- very accessible to hotel -- rtd-denver.com
In the past we have rented a car, parked it for $20-30/night, and only used it for a couple short sightseeing trips or errands --- way too $$$ for the feeling of independence. Now we determine the least costly transport to and from the airport (this time a family member!), get a centrally located hotel if possible so we can WALK places, and rent a car just for a day if we NEED to drive ourselves somewhere. Some rental companies will "deliver" or at least pick you up.

(2) We walked to Ted's (Ted Turner) Montana Grill, just a few blocks away. It was very good - 3 of us ordered different fish(!) including trout (a little dry) and salmon (very good). Another great place nearby is Rioja (chef Jennifer Jasinski) - try it!! Afterwards we had gelato a couple doors down @ Gelazzi -- excellent!

2  Thank madison666
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We first stayed at the Hyatt back in September of 2006 and it was an amazing hotel that had just opened up. This was our second time there and it was just as great as it was back in 2006. There's a bar on a high floor and a great restaurant on the first floor.

We really enjoyed how clean and comfortable the room was and the modern decor was greatly appreciated. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was really clean. My only complaint with the property was the valet parking took forever to retrieve our car (upwards of a half an hour) and we were already checked out of the hotel. The hotel is really close to all the downtown attractions and is within walking distance of both stadiums.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a conference... it was very clean, nicely decorated, and the staff were all friendly and accomodating. Restaurants in the hotel were great for breakfast (Altitude) and there are great views of Denver at the Peaks Lounge. It is new, so very clean and quiet.

Reviewed November 4, 2009

My wife recently attended a business conference (I came along for a little R&R) in Denver and chose the Hyatt Regency Denver for its convenient location and access to the Convention Center. (The Hyatt was also the conference HQ hotel.) We stayed a total of five nights, beginning on October 20.

Our overall experience at this hotel was very good. We were met at our Super Shuttle van by a friendly bellman, who quickly loaded up our luggage as we moved on to check-in. I should note that we arrived around 6:30 pm, a day prior to the conference, so the hotel was not as busy as one would expect with a mid-day check-in. There was no waiting line at check-in. The desk clerk was very friendly and efficient and we were settled into our 24th floor room in less than 15 minutes.

The hotel lobby was very impressive: soaring ceilings, lots of marble and comfortable seating for enjoying a drink, meeting with colleagues, or just chilling out with a coffee and the daily paper (complimentary Wall Street Journal stands on each floor near the elevator).

We found our room to be quite adequate, with a comfortable king bed, nice linens and fluffy pillows. We had a view of the downtown area, but could have upgraded to a mountain view room for an additional $20 a day. (Save your money for breakfast or lunch and drive out to the Rockies if you have time.)

The room was quite spacious and was well maintained. The usual amenities were provided: 32" flat-screen TV, large work area, with ergonomic chair, high-speed internet access (via Ethernet, for an additional fee), and a comfortable lounge chair and ottoman. The chair showed signs signs of wear on the arms and probably should have been replaced -- not a deal-breaker, however. A small security safe, one-cup coffee maker with paper cups, and a desk lamp with power outlets were also provided. We did not use the Internet access, as we were traveling with our BlackBerry devices. I believe that Wi-Fi was available in the lobby area, and there were several cafes within easy walking distance that provided free Wi-Fi access for customers.

There was plenty of closet space, although we did request additional hangers for our business clothes. My wife and I shared the three drawers and she also used the drawers in her nightstand for small items. An iron and ironing board were also provided.

Since we were traveling in late-October, we had a variety of clothing -- from
suits and dress shoes, to sport clothes, sweaters and polartek tops, gloves, and scarves, as well as dress shoes and comfortable walking shoes. The weather was mostly cloudy during our stay, with a little rain and snow showers. Temps ranged from the high-50s during the day to high-30s at night.

The bathroom was very clean. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, although the tub was little small for me (at 6-feet) to stretch out in. The toiletries were very nice and included a small tube of toothpaste, as well as q-tips and cotton balls. My only complaint was the lack of a ventilating fan and the size and thickness of the bath towels (we prefer bath sheets at home). There were also no terry cloth robes.

As far as room maintenance: the nightstand light on right side of the bed didn't work, but a quick call to maintenance solved that (the plug -- located behind the bed -- had been pulled out of the AC socket). We also called maintenance to fix a lose door lock plate, which needed a replacement screw. Service was quick and efficient. Housekeeping service was excellent.

The hotel features a business center, fitness center and pool, none of which we utilized during our stay. (Several people commented that the fitness center was very good.)

The hotel features the "Stratus Bar" in the lobby and "Atmospheres" restaurant, as well as a coffee shop (Starbucks coffee) for quick java and
and Danish or bagel.

We found the service in the bar area to be a little slow (too few servers). Drink prices were about average for a major city. There was a very nice selection of wines by the glass (priced on the high side), as well as tap beers (including several local microbrews -- try the Fat Tire and Easy Street). Draft pints were discount priced at $3 (instead of $5) during happy hour -- a great price for craft beers. Light snacks (burgers, salads, quesadillas, etc.) and bar munchies were available.

We had dinner at Atmospheres one evening with an old college friend (who lives in Denver). Nice food selections and prices were reasonable. We opted to eat light, as we had several big business dinners planned for the rest of the week. My wife and I enjoyed the Crab Burger (Blue Crab cake) topped with fennel slaw with house-made chips (light and crispy) at $15.95. Our friend had a nice thick burger with fries. Service was very good.

There are several excellent restaurants in the immediate area, or within a short cab ride's distance. We ate breakfast at Sam's #3 and Snooze, and had dinner at Rioja and Chef Kevin Taylor's in the Hotel Teatro (superb). Don't miss Marco's Coal-Fired Pizza on Larimer Street (near the baseball stadium) for great thin-crust pies. (We're originally from New Jersey and consider deep-dish pizza to be an abomination.)

There are also some excellent eateries on the 16th Street corridor. It's closed to vehicular traffic, other than a free bus that takes you up and down the corridor.

The hotel offers valet parking at $25 a day, but I opted to park my rental car (Budget has rental office on 19th Street and Broadway) in a public garage on 15th Street for $12. The garage was a two-block walk from the hotel.
We planned to spend a couple of nights at Beaver Creek in the Rockies, so I picked up the rental car in town and returned it to the airport. Budget does not charge an additional fee for airport drop-off.

Tip: if possible, book your rental car at least eight weeks in advance for the best rates. I always request the cheapest car offered and in 90% of the rentals, I have been upgraded to a better car. This time I booked an economy car and wound up with a mid-size Pontiac G6, equipped with On Star and XM satellite radio (I've GOT to get one of those for my car!) I brought along my own GPS unit, which proved to be invaluable, both in the city and the mountains.

One of the highlights of the city was spending several hours exploring the REI (outdoor clothing and gear) flagship store, which is housed in a restored warehouse building on the banks of the South Platte River. The store features an outdoor mountain bike course to test out your ride, and there's a kayak run on the river for trying out your canoe or kayak. The sales staff at REI is helpful and very knowledgeable. It's a must-see for outdoor lovers.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank John F
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Location, location, location. If you're in Denver for an event at the convention center, this is the place to stay. Even with wind whipping the snow around, it was just 1 short block to the convention center and a few blocks to the shopping area. The staff was very friendly and welcoming and actually seemed to enjoy their jobs, which is refreshing.

THE PLUSES: The hotel has a very spacious, elegant atrium and a great bar up on a high floor with 270-degree views of the city. There's a also a coffee shop in the lobby with reasonably priced breakfast/snack items and Starbucks coffee. My room was quiet, well-appointed, clean and modern, with an unexpectedly comfortable bed--really great. And if you like sports and/or news, then you'll love the TV selection. I had no idea ESPN had so many channels.

THE MINUSES: As other reviewers mentioned, there's a charge for wireless Internet, which was surprising for this caliber hotel. I was also charged for 2 days of valet parking @ $28 each, though I had no car, and was charged $20 for 2 boxes that I had shipped in. The in-room bottled water was also quite expensive at $6. The kicker was that when my roommate went to have a water, she noticed that the cap had been opened already (which I was then charged for). When I mentioned the erroneous charges to the front desk, they were removed.

BOTTOM LINE: When I'm back in Denver for another conference, I plan to book the Hyatt (and I'll be sure to check my bill).

Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days to attend an event at the convention center. I have nothing but rave reviews. My room was clean, the restaurants were great and the staff were wonderful. My friend used the fitness and spa center, and said it was also excellent.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)