“Questionable privacy and security” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 154 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Questionable privacy and security”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel once a year for the past 3 years. While I do not quibble that it is great value for the money, in an excellent location and, importantly, clean, I will not stay at this hotel again. Here's why: I've had two consecutive experiences there that have called into question the importance that the hotel places on privacy and security.

I stayed at the hotel in December 2011 for my sister's graduation. When my mom checked in, she received our room keys and we were sent up to our room. We entered the room to discover a woman sleeping on the bed and her bags on the floor. Imagine her surprise/shock/fear to discover two strangers staring at her in disbelief. Since that moment, I think twice about the security of my belongings in a hotel room and the fact that me being in the room doesn't really make my belongings more secure (oh, and I always lock the internal door lock now). So I think that covers off safety, security and privacy. Needless to say, we were quite upset by the time we arrived back at the front desk. We received a new room assignment and were offered entry to their VIP lounge in acknowledgement of our concerns.

I stayed at the hotel a couple days ago for New Year's Eve (2012). In advance of my check in, I received an email providing information about the hotel's New Year's celebrations, etc. All good information until I noticed that the hotel had cc'd a few hundred people staying at the hotel rather than bcc'ing them. This meant that not only did I have access to the personal email addresses of a few hundred strangers, but they had access to my email address as well (which appeared in the email list showing my full name). I am very guarded about my privacy online so I was quite distressed to find that a few hundred strangers knew exactly where I was staying on NYE and, by sending an email, could have easily discovered where I work, how to contact me at work, and, by extension, where I live. So that covers off safety, security and privacy as well (and a lack of professionalism...this kind of mistake should not happen at a well-oiled machine like the downtown Denver Hyatt). I was again offered entry to their VIP lounge in acknowledgement of my concerns (nice but didn't address my concerns). I should mention that the cost to stay there for NYE was more than double the cost at other times.

Without those two consecutive experiences, I would have given this hotel 5 stars as it otherwise excels. Perhaps I've just been unlucky...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GNH99
RegencyHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear GNH99,

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing your feedback. Both experiences that you mention should never have happened and are very unfortunate accidents. We continue to learn from our mistakes and make improvements within our operations. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to show that we are a five star well-oiled machine and we try hard to ensure our guests feel secure.

Hotel Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for an event downtown and had a blast. The staff was very helpful and the room was nice. We arrived right around checkin but our room wasn't ready. The gentleman who checked us in was very helpful, explained the delay, and called us as soon as the room was ready. We had easy access to everything downtown including the train. This hotel stay was totally different than my prior experience and we will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Lovetoroadtrip82,

Thank you for posting a follow up review, and such a positive one at that! I am so happy to hear that your stay was better than the previous one. The hotel staff tried to ensure we are exceeding our guest’s expectations and it sounds like we did this time! We can’t wait to have you back again soon!

Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked a stay at the Hyatt Regency for a weekend getaway and to attend a Broncos game.
We have stayed at this property before and returned because of past experience. We were not dissapointed.

We had a room on the 29th floor with a city view. Check in was quick and easy and the staff was friendly and helpful. We stopped off at the Peaks Lounge one late evening. The lounge was busy, but we received prompt service.

We utilized the self-parking option in the hotel garage with in & out privleges. The only issue was on Saturday night, there was a special event and parking was limited. But upon telling the attendent we were hotel guests, we were allowed in the garage. Due to the holiday events that weekend, the hotel was also offering free parking in a parking garage about two blocks away.

We checked out using the kiosk. This was quick, easy and the bill was correct.

We will return this hotel again when staying in Denver

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mtnfireguy,
Thank you for such wonderful feedback! I am so happy to hear that your experience was not disappointing and that you received prompt service from everyone. I am glad that our parking limitations did not cause too much of an inconvenience. We look forward to hosting you during your next trips to the city!

St. Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency over the weekend to attend a Broncos game. It's convenient to everything - shopping and dining. Service was terrific. We were a little disappointed in the valet parking service they offered. When we went to check out and called for the car, we were told they couldn't bring the car around ahead of time due to a high volume of check-outs. We had to come down and physically hand them the ticket - and wait. Other than that, a good stay and would probably return.

Room Tip: Request a room that overlooks the mountains and Sports Authority field.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I like this area in Denver, and the location of the Hyatt allowed easy access to all the places I love without the noise of 16th St. This is a convention center hotel, which I don't usually like, but the facilities are clean, spacious and peaceful. Mostly, I appreciated the kind staff who never seemed put out by the crowds or the holidays. The staff made a huge difference in my experience in Denver and I would stay here again because of them. Further, they have a very nice fitness facility, wifi and a great coffee shop on the lobby. I stay in Denver a lot and this was the best value I've found in a long time.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RegencyHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear EmeraldMoon,

Thank you for the rating and for your great review! I agree that the downtown location of the hotel cannot be beat. We are mainly a convention hotel, but we cater to all types of travelers, and I’m glad that you like your stay and found tranquility in our facilities. Wi-fi and coffee go great together, especially when enjoying them both in our beautiful lobby.

Thank you for the kind words in regards to our staff-they do truly make the guest experience. Please stay with us next time you are in Denver.

Clay A. Perry
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Denver for three nights for a professional conference.

This hotel was an excellent location not only for guest accommodations but also as a conference venue. All of the conference rooms were well-equipped with the necessary AV equipment and large enough to accommodate all of our group members. The lobby and hallway areas were very well-decorated and comfortable.

My room had a nice view of the city, a very comfortable bed, and a good bathroom. I liked the location of this hotel and had no problem exploring downtown by foot.

The service at this hotel was top-notch; very fast and easy check in and check out (and a quick response when I called the lobby telling them I had accidentally locked myself out!).

For a personal vacation I most likely would have looked for a less expensive hotel, but I did not regret staying here for the conference. The price is worth it for the beautiful decor, the great location and the excellent service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Meghan M,

Thank you very much for the five star rating and the glowing review! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your conference, and that the hotel’s facilities, amenities and accommodations played a part in that. We have top-notch A/V team that takes good care of our business travelers.

Thank you also for the positive comments about our service and staff, and well as the beauty and décor of the hotel itself.

We hope to host you and your conference again in the near future. Please feel free to stay with us even if you are here for leisure. You can normally find great rates on our website, and we offer various discounts for our leisure guests.

Clay A. Perry
Woodstock, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

A very large hotel, that is close to the 16th street mall. A must see is the blue bear at the convention center. I enjoyed walking every, no car needed. As a female traveling solo, I felt very safe walking everywhere, even late at night. I did visit the spa for a massage and facial. The services were great. However with a hotel of this size I was disappointed with the afterthought of spa space. There are two spa rooms located in the gym next to the pool. The calming space and tranquil music was not enough to drown out the yelling and screaming coming from the pool area. I would not recommend visiting the spa unless it is relocated. Hotel restaurants were over priced and not very good, with so many great restaurants within walking distance go out and explore. Room was very clean, modern, and comfortable. I had a lovely room on the 28th floor with wonderful views of the mountains. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have wonderful views. Go during off peak time hotel is more likely to offer complimen...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RegencyHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear KBear02,

Thank you very much for a great five star review! I am glad that you enjoyed the location and the spa services. I have shared your feedback about the spa with our management team to see what we can do to make it more tranquil. I am sorry you were disappointed by the hotel restaurant and that you had to dine off property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and stay and we look forward to having you back!