“Great Service, Lousy Food”

Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center
Ranked #10 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I stayed here over Thanksgiving for a quick getaway into the city and so I wouldn't have to cook a turkey. The level of service here is excellent. The staff is very attentive and every one of them asked me if there was anything I needed any time we met!

The first night there were a bunch of wild college students next door to us who were partying at 3am. After calling the front desk to complain, security arrived and promptly evicted them (I gather mine was the second complaint of the night). The next morning the manager even called us to apologize again for the disruption.

We had room service the next morning and it was probably the worst breakfast I've had to suffer through - and all I had was a yogurt parfait and juice! My companion agreed and said the eggs, toast and sausage were equally bad. If you are looking for breakfast, check out Dixon's, that's the best breakfast in downtown Denver! And much more reasonably priced (our room service came to around $50).

Valet parking is $25, or I think you can self-park for around $10-15.

The bed was a little sloped in the middle, causing all bodies to migrate to the center. One of the chairs was a bit stained. The bathrooms were cleaned and well-stocked. The flat-panel tv is nice, but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the picture so the image wasn't stretched!

The Peaks bar on the 27th floor provides a great panoramic view of the city and the dessert was good (especially compared to breakfast)! The holiday lighting brings a little cheer.

All in all, I might stay here again, but head elsewhere for my meals!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank killachilla
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Denver At Colorado Convention Center

Reviewed November 14, 2007

Stayed here as I was attending a conference at the convention center. Very conveniently located. Rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful. Room service food was less than stellar especially for the price. The room service on the other hand was wonderful. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank dozingdog
Reviewed November 7, 2007

The hotel is fresh and new(ish) with clean carpets, good linens, efficient work area, compact bath, refreshing artwork on the walls. Check-in staff seemed a little overwhelmed when faced with a large number of arrivals (be aware of the local convention and sporting schedule) - but as I was there for a convention, I can't complain. Bell staff was efficient at storing and retrieving luggage. A request for early check-in due to flight schedule was not met (a big day for turnover had housekeeping hopping). Some rooms offer nice mountain vistas. All seem to offer a window that opens for fresh air - a nice perk in a city high-rise. Also, the entire interior of the hotel is non-smoking so air is always fresh. Elevators feature video screens showing not the expected news or weather but varied scenes of Americana with sound effects (a swamp scene with frogs, a late night diner, and, creepily, an abandoned house). TV channel options were average (expanded basic cable). WIFi an added expense in- room. Of note: No minibar or in-room fridge forcing a trip to the 24-hour lobby shop for soda or juice and the bar or a call to roomservice for a beer. There is a coffee/tea maker with supplies. Doormen were good with basic directions. Concierge offers boarding pass printing and help with other basic needs (didn't test him with dinner reservations, event tickets, etc...). I thought the cost a bit steep for a small city and a hotel with limited services ($195 plus taxes) but didn't check against the Westin, etc... as this was THE convention hotel choice. Finally, breakfast buffet at the restaurant was ok: Choices were good but execution was poorand some food handling seemed almost unsafe (chafing dish eggs/sausage at room temp). Still - waitstaff was pleasant and efficient with coffee, clearing, and check. Overall - a fine stay.

Reviewed November 1, 2007

I stayed here for a convention. The location is great. It is very nice to be in such close proximity to the action of a meeting. The staff in the lobby are very helpful and are very concerned about customer service. I stayed in a room on the 32nd floor, and had a beautiful view of the city.

The hotel includes 2 bars-- I found the Peaks lounge to be very dark, but has a great view of the city at night. A Starbucks-type coffee bar is present in the lobby, which was great for tea and snacks late at night. I ordered room service one night, and the food was typical hotel-fare. The prices are expensive and you will get charged for most services. Internet is $9.95 for 24 hours. The ATM in the lobby charges $3.05 to withdraw money, but the bank across the street did not charge me.

The hotel has electronic check out and can both print out and email you the bill, which is great for reimbursements.

In terms of the room, I had two beds to choose from, which was key, as the duvet on one was very dirty. I left a note to change the sheets, but they did not change the pillowcases! A light burned out in the bathroom, which was never replaced. I left laundry, but had to call to get them to pick it up, despite the obviousness of it being on the bed with a note. They cleaned the room at odd hours, once even as late as 3:30PM. This is probably nitpicking, but I did see a difference between the extreme professionalism of the staff and the cleaning personnel.

It is a beautiful hotel, but I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Dallas and probably got spoiled.

Reviewed October 29, 2007

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Denver Convention Center for 2 days on business. Overall I have to say I was very impressed with almost everything about this hotel. All of the staff were professional and helpful. Room service was very prompt and food was great. Room was clean and I had a beautiful view of the mountains (snow covered from recent storm). This hotel is directly across the street from the Convention Center which was my destination each day and was extremely convenient. The only negative was that I could hear the people in the next room talking and coughing so that wasn't desirable. I'm thankful that's all I heard! I would certainly stay here again. They have a wonderful lounge on the 27th floor where you can watch the sunset over the mountains.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a very brief 3 day visit to Colorado. We were celebrating our anniversary and let the staff know. They put us on the 31st floor with a premium view of the mountains, and a bottle of champagne was waiting for us! Everyone was was very nice and willing to help. We ate at The Capital Grille, which was the best food I have ever had in my life. Thank you to everyone at this location for such a memorable stay. Next time we're in Denver we will no doubt be staying here. I know this is going to sound weird but we are planning to redo our bathroom, and we loved the way the restrooms on the first floor in the lobby were designed. If anyone wanted to take a picture and post it just so I had a visual refrence I would be forever greatful! The whole hotel is flawlessly decorated.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StLouisBreazer
Reviewed October 21, 2007

This stay was very average for the Hyatt. The checking-in process was amazingly easy (all online); however, there was a line almost to the door during the busy times in the afternoon. Obviously, there are some staffing issues that need to be addressed. The hotel is very busy during my stay; there were at least three other meetings besides my own.

Room service was quick and friendly, but I have to agree with the other reviewers who state the food is awful. I ate other food provided by the hotel during my meeting and found it to be equally mediocre. On the plus side, the coffee shop does a wonderful latte, and the staff there was excellent.

My room needed a new shower curtain (many rust stains) and the shower vent needed a thorough cleaning (caked with dust). I requested this be done after the first night, but it was never done. We also had to request for tolietries to be replaced which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why is this so hard for housekeeping staff to do especially when there is a $5 tip sitting next to the empty bottles?

The bed was average. I liked the flat screen TV and the desk set up in the room. It was great for our laptop and eating room service.

The location is the main appeal of this hotel. I was so happy to be staying close by when I was hobbling along in high heels. It is a short walk to the 16th St mall and all the other fun downtown sights.

1  Thank Courtesy_Flush