“Treasure trove of art Museums!”

Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art
Book In Advance
More Info
$29.99*
and up
Mile High Culture Pass
Ranked #32 of 258 things to do in Denver
More attraction details
Owner description: Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art is temporarily closed as we relocate to a new golden building in Denver’s Golden Triangle. Kirkland Museum’s Grand Opening is scheduled for March 10, 2018. The museum’s new building will offer visitors an enhanced experience with more display space while staying true to the salon style and intimate atmosphere for which the Kirkland is known. The museum’s three collections are: • International Decorative Art—A celebrated collection including notable examples of every major design period from Arts & Crafts to Postmodern. • Colorado & Regional Art—The largest repository of art showcasing the state and region’s talent, concentrating on the 1850s through the 1990s with about 7,000 works more than 700 artists. • Vance Kirkland Retrospective—Kirkland (1904–1981) is generally considered Colorado’s most distinguished modern painter. About 550 paintings and about 600 drawings and prints are held in his estate collection.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was there today and I have to say I'm absolutely blown away by this little treasure trove! I spent 4 hours there and I couldn't get enough of it! I usually dislike "art museums" where the art is hung on the wall or set up on a pedestal to be admired at a distance. But Kirkland is different: to me, it's less like a museum and more like entering an artist's home where each piece was lovingly and painstakingly selected. I'm not just observing art from a distance: I'm completely immersed in it at Kirkland.
I also appreciate all the pieces that were displayed, and I'd love to see what else is in "the vault" sometime! I'm not usually an art connoisseur but I love how beautiful AND functional each piece were! And Vance Kirkland has definitely just become my favorite artist! So much dedication to his art, so much creativity, and so much passion!
I cannot say enough about this museum! For $8 this is the jackpot of art museums!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

If you're visiting (or, even if you're a Denver resident) and touring some of the downtown museums, make sure you don't miss this one! No, it's not huge and it's not 'kid-friendly' but it is absolutely fantastic for adults that are interested in decorative arts. We found plenty of street-side and private (no cost) parking at the museum.
We have a background in antique glassware and this place was really 'up our alley'. We couldn't believe the tremendous quantity and variety of all things 'decorative'. In addition to the numerous displays of all types and vintages of glassware, there are lots of paintings (primarily from Vance Kirkland, the museum's namesake and early owner) and there are lots of household furnishings from the Art Deco, Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts eras.
If you're 'into' this kind of history, you'll need a good 3 hours to see most of the collection. It was, absolutely, our favorite Denver attraction during our vacation.
(P.S. Try "Jelly" across the street for a great experience at meal time...or just for a quick snack.)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you're a lover of 20th century art and furniture, this is a dream spot. Everything from a collection of fiestaware to Eames chairs - lots of chairs.

1  Thank Jan H
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Entering this small museum is like entering someone's home. Displays are at eye level and coordinated in a such a way that items compliment each other well. Art pieces are perfectly lighted and exciting. The whole place is full of energy and humor.
You can go it alone or have an expert volunteer guide you to the important pieces. Mid Century Modern will never be the same again.

1  Thank Anne B
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A sweet little museum of decorative arts in a sketchy neighborhood. Includes a nice collection of arts and crafts pottery and mid century furniture. Not curated in a coherent pattern and lacks much background information on what's displayed. But if you like decorative arts it's worth a trip.

1  Thank Susan T