“Small menu & portions, way over rated.”
Review of Rioja

Rioja
Reserve with OpenTable
Rioja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 3,125 Restaurants in Denver
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I asked a local or two for one of Denver's best, both said Rioja. Checked TA for reviews which show it highly rated. Upon entering the loud average looking place, being seated next to server station, and seeing menu starting with apps like Bacon, I quickly saw I was not in a great place. Only fish was a farm salmon, only steak was a skirt steak, poor food selection. We almost left but server assured us it's great place. Dishes are small and pretty. Quality, ok, with my "lamb two ways" dish being one small overcooked tbone and one lamb meatball they called sausage. The skirt steak was also small, nicely presented but not flavorful. Should have followed instinct and left before we started.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal on cold night. Started off with a delicious apple soup and then had the combo lamb. So good I had to try their beignet for desert. Very crowded so I had my meal at the bar. Excellent service there. I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We sat outside in a beautiful warm October and ate great food with good wine and local microbrewery beer. The meal began well with a selection of breads (all great) and our courses were all great. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the prices were fair for the quality. I will definitely return if I am every back in Denver.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have eaten here on several occasions, and have always enjoyed the food quality, taste and presentation. Though sometimes lacking in portion size, the quality has been spot on for us.
The wine selection is great, and the specialty drink creations innovative and interesting.
The service for us is not consistent. We were 20 minutes late for a reservation on one occasion, and felt like the hostess was punishing us with her poor attitude and condescending comments. We sat (I sat, my beau stood) at the bar for 90 minutes before we could get "worked in". We've had terrific servers, mediocre servers and marginal servers, but the food is always consistently delicious and fresh.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Saturday brunch did not meet expectations. Although the service was good the food arrived cold, the bread server with a full basket of rolls never stopped at our table although he passed by numerous times. All in all it was a big disappointment