“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I usually don't go to German restaurants because I grew up in a German household and the German food I find in America never measures up. Thus, I was very pleasantly surprised to find this little gem on the 16th Street Mall. Tucked away upstairs, the atmosphere is cozy, especially if you don't want to sit on the mall itself and have everyone who walks by looking at you. The gurkin salad and the tomato salad were just like my mother makes and were very good. I had the Roladen and they were tender and tasty and made just the right way. My wife had a Berliner chicken dish with a pear sauce and it was also very tasty. The portions are large and the sides are also very good. I had the potato balls and once again they tasted just like my mother's. They have a nice selection of desserts also and best of all, they offer authentic German schnapps! The Kirsch Wasser was awesome. The waiter was very friendly and the prices were not bad for the 16th St. Mall. Not at all. We will certainly go back to this place when we visit Denver again. Sehr Gut!

There are newer reviews for Cafe Berlin

Reviewed May 7, 2013

You need to look for this place, and the location is almost strange, but this is a really good restaurant! We've been there several times, tried different dishes each time, and have not been disappointed...ever! Prices are good. Service is great. I've been to at least 20 restaurants in Denver, and Cafe Berlin is in my top five! Great schnitzel. Great spaetzel. A variety of German beers! Atmosphere is not sexy, but I've been to Germany a few times, and this place would fit in perfectly there!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

On the website for this wonderful establishment they say "what began as a sure winner for all who love the heartier side of European fare has slowly, steadily risen to become a "must" stop for everyone with Denver on their itinerary"..... This is so very true. In town for a week on business I had my choice of downtown purveyors of fine food, but until Wednesday night when I happen to find this restaurant a couple blocks from my room at the Marriott I was not overly impressed with anything. Most often when I see a German restaurant, their 'German Food' consists of some sausages and pretzels and a couple of half hearted attempts at schnitzels.... But the Cafe Berlin is, in my opinion, a 'must' stop when in Denver. I had the Paprika Schnitzel that was subtlety spiced with great deference to insuring you enjoyed the schnitzels’ wonderful flavor rather than simply ‘spicing’ up an inferior cut to camouflage the true quality of the meat. The Spätzle was fresh and tasty and the Rotes Kraut put other restaurants to shame…
My service was exemplary, friendly and spot on. All the staff and management ensured I felt welcome and a part of their evening experience at Café Berlin. My only complaint at all would be that the Gurkensalat did not seem to have a small ‘bite’ that vinegar has given the dish for me in the past. I finished with a warm strudel with not too sweet cream on the side accompanied by fresh tasty coffee.
I fully intend to go back tomorrow for the Sauerbraten.
If you like German food, don’t miss the opportunity to visit Café Berlin when in Denver!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I love German food and overall it was good but nothing extraordinary.

The atmosphere and service was so so, and the menu is on the pricey side. Just OK. They started getting ready to close up as we were still eating and the place was still open for another half an hour. We felt rushed but good thing we were really hungry, as the shovelling of the schnitzel in our mouths went over smoothly without the need for a Heimlich maneuver.

In the grand scheme of things it was a decent uneventful dinner.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Showed up on a snowy night. The place looked empty. Thought because of the high ranking on travelocity- we couldn't go wrong. We were seated and then just watched. Waited about 7 minutes then decided to leave- The menu was so-so. I thought it was a bit overpriced for the atmosphere and overall feel. It is price comparable to Panzano which is a block away and truly puts this place to shame with its superior service and cleanliness.
WIsh I could've got someone to take my order so I could have tried the food.