“Very satisfying breakfast”

Pete's University Cafe
Ranked #1,815 of 3,084 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Greek
Reviewed September 30, 2013

It has been a couple of years since we last ate here on a trip to Denver. I went there twice for business related chats on this trip. The atmosphere is comfort food diner. There are many Greek themed items on the menu along with a larger variety of other choices from biscuits and gravy to eggs any way to skillets to burritos and much more. Many items come smothered with green chili and you can order it on anything else. Go for it. This is good green chili.

One morning I had the breakfast burrito supreme smothered in green chili. The burrito was stuffed with 4 different kinds of meat, scrambled eggs and potatoes. I did not feel hungry the rest of the day until I ate dinner at 7 pm. That is a meal! The next morning I had the Greek skillet, and chose poached eggs over the top. It is served with grilled pita bread, which was crisp with just the right amount of sauteed olive oil flavor. The ingredients were built around the gyro meat and tzaziki sauce. It was hearty and delicious. I had the green chili on the side and enjoyed the separate flavor. A very well balanced green chili with finely diced pork, save for one large cube that was tender and tasty.

One of my colleagues on these days had a regular egg breakfast, with crispy bacon served just right and fresh eggs. One had a stack of pancakes which were fluffy and delicious. Another had the vegetable skillet and was very pleased with the combination of fresh vegetables sauteed and baked just right.

This is comfort breakfast food with a large variety of items. It does not pretend to be an upscale restaurant and therefore fits its niche very nicely. I know that for each of these items individually, you can find restaurants that cook them a little better. However, they do a very good job here with a large variety and the quality stays more than acceptable. You will be stuffed, and you will also be pleased enough with the flavors and quality of preparation.

Both days service was just fine. On Sunday there was not an empty seat, many were waiting to be seated, and the staff appeared to be on top of it, though I had to remind our server twice that I wanted water. On Monday the business was still brisk, but not nearly as crowded and our service was very good.

There are newer reviews for Pete's University Cafe

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Doesn't look like much from the outside and inside is a bit dated but service is friendly and yummy breakfast. The chicken fried skillet was surprisingly good and other breakfast plate was nice big portion!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The breakfast skillets are wonderful at this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant! I had the Greek skillet with pork and feta cheese. Large portions, delicious food, a good way to start the morning!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Arguably some of the worst service in Denver these days. Surly obnoxious waitstaff and ho-hum unimaginative Greek food. Just two doors down is Greeks' Gone Wild (lame name but much better food). Consider also Tzatziki's on Colorado Blvd just a couple miles south of here for MUCH more legit Greek comfort food.

If not for location and late night hours, this dump would have been gone years ago. Pete Contos, please come fix this place, it needs help!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stopped in for lunch recently. The hardest part was deciding on what to get! A few of us had the best burgers we'd ever eaten, another guy got one of the best looking salads I have ever seen, and another had a pepper steak sub that was overflowing. Every one of us had the most delicious lunch and the staff was so friendly. Next time I am in the area this is where I am stopping.

Also, breakfast is served at any time. Some folks were ordering that and it looked delicious even at 1:00 in the afternoon!