“For the love of Tavern tots and pastrami!!”
Review of Highland Tavern

Highland Tavern
Ranked #86 of 3,002 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“For the love of Tavern tots and pastrami!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Freshly made tots not from a freezer.... you can't go wrong! The beer selection was fantastic and I am now a lover of the Pastrami sandwich! The Bombshell was so good and the added fried egg...blew.my.mind! We went before a Rockies game so it was busy but the staff was excellent! They checked on us frequently and we never had an empty glass! A must visit!

• Visited August 2013

Colorado Springs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Ribs”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This restaurant was featured on Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. The staff was great, beer was cold and the food will, as my bartender stated, "change your life".

I am a changed man!

Denver, CO
“Would try again...”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stopped in on a Saturday afternoon at around 4pm. Place was hopping. We timed our vist just right as we were seated immediately even though the place was virtually packed and a line started immediately behind us. We decided to give the place a try for a couple of quick drinks and some appetizers. Located off the beaten path in what some may feel is in a little sketchy neighborhood, parking can be a challenge to find on the streets surrounding it.
Once seated, service was quick. Our server was pleasent and quick to return with drinks and to take our food order. Tried the Tater Tots and fresh Pork Rinds they have become famous for. Both were okay but nothing to stand on the corner and rave about. Was going to try "The Bomb" sandwich but apparently due to the exposure they are enjoying due to a recent visit by Food Networks Diner's, Drive In's and Dive's they were sold out. Server said they had been incredibly busier since the show originally aired in April and any time it comes on as a repeat, business picks up furiously again the day after. Apparently, it reaired on the night before our visit.
I will try again once the hype dies down a little and hope to provide the tavern with a better rating as this one only reflects what we experienced and I'm sure there's much more to enjoy.

1 Thank alar1960
Los Angeles
“Wow!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Tucked away in a cozy neighborhood in northwest Denver, this bar and grill and offers a traditional bar menu with sandwiches and burgers, etc. That's where the similarity ends. Highland's food is light years better than traditional pub grub. The food is put together with great care and attention to detail, combining unique and interesting ingredients. The results are spectacular.

Recently I had the El Guapo burger with a signature side of tots. The sandwich came out open faced, displaying a juicy 1/2 pound beef patty that was tender, full of beefy flavor and cooked to perfection. Piled on top of it was a mound of diced spicy New Mexico green chiles, fresh cheddar cheese and tangy/tart pickled onions. The top bun was slathered with just the right amount of spicy mayo. Best burger I've had in years.

To top off this great food, the Highland staff and bartenders are friendly and inviting, making you feel like you're visiting a good friend who's an incredibly talented chef.

When in Denver, don't miss this place!

Denver, Colorado
“Two Thumbs Up for Denver's Highland Tavern”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Yesterday we had a late lunch/early dinner at The Highland Tavern at 34th and Navajo in Denver, after seeing it featured Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives -- aka "Triple D" in our house. It really was Guy's description of their Tot's that got our attention. He didn't think they were the best he'd had, but he liked them. We also went there for what Guy said was one of the best deli sandwiches he had ever had -- the Bombshell which was house pastrami, swiss, brown mustard, tavern slaw, and fried egg on grilled rye. I will say up-front that this is not a place you would go if you only want healthy options for the family.

The place was pretty crowded when we got there at 2pm on Saturday. We waited around 30 minutes, but it was okay because my parents got cocktails at the bar, and my dad ordered their house-made tots and chicharonnes for us, and we went outside and sat on their patio. The tots were good, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and the Tots at Lucha in Georgetown, CO, are better (and so is the Sriracha dipping sauce; the Highland tots come with ranch which was fresh with herbs and good). The chicharonnes are fun, but there was not nearly enough of the red seasoning salt on them - they should have been tossed in it, but instead it was just barely sprinkled on the ones at the top. No one really wanted the plain ones -- which was most of them. They just didn't have enough flavor.

We finally were seated and had good service throughout the whole meal. One of the owners came and chatted with us and it was fun hearing him talk about how the Triple D publicity has effected their business.

My dad and brother ordered the Green Chili and both liked it -- it had a lot of meat and just the right amount of heat. My dad also tried a cup of the red chili which was smokey with black beans. He liked that, as well. We also had the Crispy Confit Chicken Wings with Buffalo sauce which were pretty large and my parents said were fine. We then waited a very long time for our entrees -- my dad's Bombshell (they said he got the last one of the day...), my brother's cheeseburger, and my grilled cheese. All of the food was good; the wait for our food was just way too long. But, the server was cheerful and apologetic, and she made the whole experience of the too-long wait seem not so bad at all.

There is no kids menu -- I guess because this place is more of a bar/tavern. But they have a real-deal chef, so it's a lot more than a bar with bad bar food. Everything that we ordered seemed to be fresh and house-made -- the salad dressings, chili's, pastrami, tots, you name it. There are flat-screen TVs everywhere playing football games. There are also other games -- pool table, ping-pong table, foosball, and Big Buck Hunter.

The only downside other than the wait was that the small trash cans in the ladies room were overflowing with paper--not a good thing.

The Highland Tavern is a really good neighborhood place where you can take your kids for Brunch, Lunch or Dinner. We are fans and we will be back!