“Excellent Brunch Spot”
Review of Beast and Bottle

Beast and Bottle
Reserve with OpenTable
Beast and Bottle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #164 of 3,002 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington St
Transit: Bus Route #32 stops at 19th & Washington. We are about a 5 minute walk from the bus stop.
Description: A new look at the tastes of the Mediterranean inspired by the cuisines of Spain, Italy & Southern France. Boldness of taste, purity of ingredients, simplicity of presentation and uncomplicated describes the food. Made by hand each dish showcases the flavors of this area. Olivea's menu changes seasonally to make the most of the current harvests and reflect the values of ourselves as well as the countries we emulate. Olivea also celebrates the Mediterranean shared sense of exuberant hospitality and extroverted love of food.
Sunnyvale, California
“Excellent Brunch Spot”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I kicked off our weekend in Denver with Saturday morning brunch at Olivea. Since we were excited to be escaping the heat of Texas, we jumped at the change to sit outside on their small, cozy patio. We started with the pastry basket; it's not something we'd typically order but since Olivea's pastry chef is so high-regarded, we felt obligated to try it. It proved to be a smart move; the walnut bread, biscotti, cherry scone, and coffee cake muffin were all spectacularly moist and flaky. Next up was Eggs Olivea (two sunny side up eggs on soft polenta with sage, pine nuts & soffritto) for me and breakfast flatbread (crème fraîche, applewood smoked bacon, onions & two sunny side up eggs) for the husband. Both were fantastic, as evidenced by our eventually spotless plates.

By this point we were pretty stuffed, but I wasn't going to leave without trying the oft mentioned chocolate and fleur de sel caramel tart (with milk chocolate gelato and nougatine crunch, per the menu). As it turns out, one taste and suddenly I had no trouble polishing this thing off. The tart was buttery and flaky.

The fantastic food was matched by equally impressive service. Our server was super friendly and helpful, happy to bring extra orange juice to balance out a too-sweet drink. She also chased us down a block past the restaurant after I'd forgotten my to-go container.

All in all, this was a fabulous breakfast and a great introduction to Denver.

• Visited August 2012

Denver, Colorado
“a small quaint wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Have been to this restaurant several times. I don't know what is the best the main courses John serves or the beyond description desserts of his wife. Cheap no....but worth every penny. They and their staff pay attention to every detail of your meal and turn it into a full evening of enjoyment. Make a reservation and then get ready to enjoy

• Visited February 2012
Denver
“Not feeling the love!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went out with friends, June 27, 2012 to test the reviews of the popular Olivea Restaurant. We were disappointed. The service was excellent, knowledgeable and efficient. Our orders, from a very small menu were bland, with little eye appeal. I had the Pappardelle with Lamb Bolognese. Spinach Noodles were ok, but way too much salt, almost overpowering. Sauce could hardly be seen let alone tasted. There were just little tiny pieces of lamb, but not big enough to taste or identify. There were two orders of Cavatelli. Based on appearance, they looked meager at best-mostly noodles, few if any carrots, maybe a hint of asparagus, though I don't recall seeing any. My husband thought there might have been a few pieces. This dish was definitely not hearty enough to be called a main course. Not what we were expecting. My friend ordered the Mussels for a main course and she thought they were ok. My husband did have a very nice Arugula salad, however, the pate we all shared was tasty but more terrine like than pate like. We tried 2 desserts which, though very small, were delicious. Finally, I tried the sangria and was very disappointed! The glass was filled with ice and seemed only like flavored water. I don't drink much when going out so I recognize when a drink has wine etc. in it. This Sangria did not have the intensity/flavor as one would expect from an alcoholic drink.

• Visited June 2012
Denver, Colorado
“For Mediterranean food snobs, this is the place to eat!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Olivea ranks as one of our favorite restaurants in Colorado. After living in Central Europe for over 20 years and both being of Mediterranean descent, we know what we like - and don't like - in so-called Italian or Mediterranean restaurants. All we found at Olivea is what we DO like. We've eaten there over 20 times since they opened and have never had an experience that is less than great. The food is fabulous - locally sourced fresh ingredients and creative, simple structure. I am always amazed at what they are able to so beautifully produce out of such a small kitchen. THAT is so Mediterranean in itself!

The menu changes throughout the year as Chef John tries to take advantage of the seasonal ingredients. But one thing that is a usual find on the menu are the restaurant's signature "Duck Meatballs on Polenta." Excellent balance of meat and flavors. Have it with a Barbara d'Alba from Renato Vacca's Cantina del Pino in Barbaresco.

The pasta dishes are not to be missed. They change according to availability of market-fresh produce, but always delicious.

Their flatbread is good, but there are better calories to choose from.

We also love the charcuterie at Olivea. The duck mousse is as good as any you'll find in a country restaurant in Dordogne in France. And the lamb sausage!!! Can you guess the unusual spice (well, I'll give you a hint - it's a common spice, but unusual in meat, at least in our culture)? The white boudin is delicious as well. Being from South Louisiana, I know my boudin and this is great.

Award winning pastry chef (and Chef John's wife), Yasmin Lozada-Hissom, creates wonderful desserts that are sure to please. I'm partial to her chocolate caramel tart with fleur de sel. I gild the lily by asking for some EVOO on the side. I learned this from Chef Davide Palluda at the Enoteca Regionale in Canale, Italy. Great combination of textures and flavors.

The main downside of Olivea is parking. DO NOT park across the street in the market's parking lot regardless if they are open or not. If you do, be prepared to fetch it from the towing company. And the same goes for Hamburger Mary's big lot. There are a few spaces directly behind the restaurant, but they go fast on a busy night. There is a paid lot on the corner of 17th and Pearl. DO NOT park in the one on Pearl between 16th and 17th. That's the guy who was wrongfully (and illegally) impounding cars parked in his lots. Better to look for parking on the other side of 18th, further away from Colfax. Even better, take a taxi! If another reviewer has a better solution, please share!!

I gave them only 4 out of 5 on atmosphere because it can be a bit noisy. Always try to get a table along the wall (any wall) and not in the middle next to the bar. That's unpleasant and probably the only time I wasn't happy with the location of my table. SIt at the bar. That's fun.

I don't believe this restaurant is pricey at all. Don't know where the other reviewer got that. The wines are extremely well-priced and the wine list is full of excellent choices across a range of prices. The food prices are extremely fair considering the quality of the products used to create these lovely dishes.

All in all, we love Olivea and look forward to many more fun dining experiences there. Unfortunately, the word is out and getting a table there is getting harder. I guess writing a review like this is a counter to my own interests, but I believe Chefs John and Yasmin do a great job and deserve the praise.

BTW, same ownership as Duo in the Highlands.

• Visited April 2012
kansas city
“Pricey but Tasty, Unique & Quality (did I mention Local Sourced?)”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I went to this little neighborhood place with a number of people from work. It's a tiny place but service was still attentive. Loved their unique cocktails. I had the Ophelia and could have downed several of these gin-lemon-rosemary-sparkling water concoctions.

Their house olives were a nice surprise when they came to the table unexpectedly. And their crunchy fried olives appetizer that is stuffed with creamy ricotta was a great combination. (And don't overlook the meatballs. I should have made them my dinner.)

When adding the cocktail, appetizer, salad, entree, wine & dessert, for the setting, it was on the high side. Thinking of how they leverage both organic and locally sourced food, execute well on food and drink, I am glad that I came but definitely not something I will be able to do often.

But don't let that scare you. I recommend at least first trying them for happy hour if you love great food, good drinks, want to support locally sourced food, like to eat organic but are on a budget. Then make up your mind on whether you wish to come back for dinner some other time.

• Visited May 2012