“Amazing downtown hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center
Ranked #8 of 159 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had never stayed at a Homewood Suites property before, and if they're all like this one, I'll definitely be a brand convert. We stayed 4 nights over Thanksgiving, and were totally impressed by the rooms, the amenities, and the staff. The room was huge, with a separate living area, full-sized kitchen, two flat screen TVs, huge shower, and king size bed with luxurious down duvet and pillows. Probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on. The desk staff were extremely helpful, providing detailed directions on public transportation (with schedule printouts), recommendations for restaurants and other activities, and just general "pleasantness". Housekeeping was impeccable. It opened in April 2013, so everything still feels fresh and new. The building is shared by Homewood Suites and Hampton Inn. The breakfasts had a wide variety of choices, although the scrambled eggs were probably the biggest weakness. We were visiting family, so we didn't take advantage of the fitness center or pool, but it looked very nice. Also, we were completely surprised that in addition to complimentary breakfast, they also serve complimentary dinner Mon-Thurs. We also didn't try dinner, so cannot comment on the dinner quality. But I can see where this would be extremely convenient for business travel. Rates may vary depending on what's going on at the Convention Center, but for Thanksgiving week, our rate was just under $100/night, which I felt was an excellent value for such a great property. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west (?) side have no view, and look onto another building. However, they are also the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our Homewood Suites. We hope to see you each Thanksgiving and any other time you are visiting Denver!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Excellent hotel, excellent service and attention by management, excellent experience. I highly recommend. Very convenient to downtown Denver and Convention Center. The front desk staff and hotel management were highly available for help. Room was spacious.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Dear David, thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites in downtown Denver for your recent visit to our great city! It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to seeing you on your return trips.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I found these accommodations to be excellent. The hotel is very conveniently located with respect to the Denver Convention Center, other hotel venues for meetings, and to many restaurants. It is very clean, the complimentary breakfasts were healthy and tasty, and the overall service was first rate.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear William, thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Homewood Suites Denver Downtown. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to seeing you on your future visits to Denver!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

If you are looking for a first rate business hotel near the Colorado Convention Center, look no further. The rooms in the Homewood suites are all two room suites with a full kitchen, sitting room with a sofa, coffee table, and a work desk. The bedroom has a king sized bed, closet, two night tables with electric outlets, and a chest of drawers. The bathroom is very modern with a large shower and large counter area. The entire room appeared to be new.

The WiFi in the room was excellent with both high bandwidth and good stability. I had a computer connected to the internet in the room for several days without any problems.

The Hotel breakfast is very good with different selections every day. The manager's reception on Monday through Thursday evenings has a light dinner including beer and wine and was a reasonable dinner if you don't want to go out. The lounge opens at 4:00pm each day and has lots of seating and TVs.

The business center has several computers, but only one printer.

The staff is exceptionally helpful. I was at the hotel for 5 nights and had several special requests. All were met with a smile and help. The valet has a particularly helpful feature. You can send a text message and your car will be brought up. This was great for those early morning times when the valet was busy.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Tinyswimmer, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Homewood Suites. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to seeing you on your return trips to Denver!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Huge corner room with a full kitchen and great view at a great price.
The staff was wonderful and enjoyed the breakfasts provided, although I discovered there are two separate breakfast stations. One for Homewood and the other for Hampton Inn, both in same building. The automatic shades are a novelty, but not all were working in our room and it would have been nice to have a window that opens to enjoy the mountain air. It did get a bit stuffy at times. Great location; two blocks from convention center, 16th street mall and public transportation- leave your car at home- parking here is an outrageous $30.00 + per night for guests!

Room Tip: Corner suites offer the most sunlight. Check out both breakfast options. Parking in lot across the s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Starwooder, thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites for your visit to Denver. Thank you for the positive comments regarding your accomodations and convenience to the downtown attractions. We look forward to seeing you again on future trips to our great city!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Homewood Suites by the Colorado Convention Center in Denver really, really shines. Plenty of reviewers have already mentioned the wonderful things about this hotel, and I will confirm that it really does deserve the high rating for the city of Denver (currently #2 in the city). As always, the very high quality of the staff's attentiveness to guest needs is the dealmaker. The staff here is almost completely outstanding, from top to bottom.
We were there for nine nights attending a convention. This hotel is an easy walk to the convention center (as well as to the wonderful 16th Street pedestrian mall). The first night, we were given a perfectly wonderful room with only one flaw: no work desk. The kitchen had a barstool-height table and chairs, which was supposed to double as a work desk, but my short height made it impossible to get comfortable at that table. We asked about having a normal height table brought in, and the staff responded by asking if we'd like to move to the room next door, which did have a work desk.
We moved and discovered that the new room was actually an accessible room, which was perfect since my spouse is disabled. It was also a corner room, which meant about 50% more space, bigger kitchen, more sofa and much larger bathroom. There were windows all around both outer walls, and they had electrically operated inner and outer blinds. Very cool.
There is very little to report negatively. This new room was simply terrific.
I have only two real complaints, and unfortunately I don't think the first is something easily fixable but is totally serious: The roll-in shower, which was designed to be wheelchair accessible, causes a great deal of water to flow out onto the bathroom floor. By a great deal, I mean enough that the first time I took a shower and left for the conference in the early morning, there was still a whole bunch of water on the floor that evening. The bathroom is divided into two areas - one open to the bedroom, with the vanity and closet, and the other with a door, containing the shower and toilet. The floor on this inner room is not graded to have enough slope to drain the standing water. This is a very serious standing/walking hazard. The water does not simply pool up beside the shower, but stands all over nearly the entire floor, including near the toilet. I considered adjusting the direction of the shower head, but was not tall enough to reach it. It didn't appear to make any difference anyway.
If my disabled spouse were actually wheelchair bound, it might not have been as risky, but he can walk short distances and has extremely poor balance. I have great balance and am not disabled, and I still had to be very, very careful about all this water. After the first day, I spent about ten minutes after every shower, pushing the water toward the drain with my bare foot and then dropping an extra towel on the floor to mop up the rest of the water.
So I don't know if there is a solution to this, other than tearing up the tiled floor, regrading the slope toward the drain, and retiling. But sooner or later, a guest - either ablebodied or disabled - is going to slip and fall in that standing water, and the hotel will find itself facing a liability suit. I would suggest some kind of fix as quickly as possible. It was pretty dangerous, and the side where the worst standing water is has NO grab bars nearby, just towel hooks.
Which leads me to my only other real complaint: lack of hooks/shelves/cubbies in the vanity part of the bathroom. In our first room, there were little working drawers and small cubbies to unload my stuff (nine days worth!). The new room, because of the need to have all the furnishings be accessible, had no cubbies and no drawers, not even any little hooks or shelves. So just like any Holiday Inn or Best Western, I had to simply unload all my toiletries on the vanity counter. The hair dryer had to stay up there too, further adding to the countertop congestion.
If the Homewood Suites truly wants to take this hotel to the next level, they will add either some shelves under the vanity counter, or add some hooks or shelving on top.
Enough complaining. It was a GREAT room. There are PLENTY of electrical outlets everywhere. The coffeepot, a standard 4-cup maker, will work with your own 4-cup filters and loose coffee or use the provided pre-measured pods; but there is also a 24 hour coffee stand in the lobby. A two-burner stovetop (no oven) and a large microwave, plus dishwasher, made the kitchen very functional. Hot water at the kitchen sink was a little dicey - you had to position the handle JUST RIGHT for the water to get hot. Full size fridge enabled us to buy groceries and save tons of money.
Oh, and temperature controls worked easily and perfectly. No secret VIP HVAC code needed.
A really good hotel, great location, great staff and much thought put into the renovation adds up to a terrific place to stay in downtown Denver. If you valet park your car, allow about 10-15 minutes for the car to be brought up, or you can stop and tell the front desk clerk (most of them, anyway - one clerk told me "most people just call from their room 10-15 minutes ahead of time" - and the valet driver THAT time was about fifteen minutes later than the time I had specified, which makes me think the clerk didn't actually pass the message along).
You are not going to be disappointed here, unless you fail to allow the staff an opportunity to resolve your issues.
(Oh, and the whirlpool appears to be salt water! I didn't try the swimming pool, but the whirlpool was heavenly!)

Room Tip: Ask for corner room, high floor. View of the city or mountains nice. Elevators fast so don't wor...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for your extensive review of our Homewood Suites in downtown Denver. It means a lot to us that you took the time to share your experience during your nine-day stay. I am happy to report that the floor in your guest room is being modified as you suggested and we will complete this project in all of our accessible rooms with the roll-in shower. We will complete this work before the end of December. It was our pleasure serving you and I hope we will see you again on your future trips to Denver!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

PROs: One of the best hotels I have stayed in terms of clean the room/bathroom/kitchen (with high quality appliances, etc.). CONs: Super dry air in the room, with no humidifier built into the HVAC system -- affected my sleep quality though the bedding was good. Poor breakfast/reception food options for vegetarians (especially ones who do not eat eggs)

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Dear Arvind, thank you for selecting our Homewood Suites for your recent trip to Denver. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you as our guest again soon!