Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“newly renovated”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been to other Homewood Suites, and this one is far better than any others. I got an upgrade to a king suite (room1005) with spacious floor plan and a modern bathroom. It smells like newly renovated too (perhaps a little bit strong to me, but doesn't bother others in my family). There is a free city shuttle on st 16th that can bring you to the State Capitol and the Civic Park, but these places are all within walking distance. Lots of things to do on st 16th if you like shopping and food.

Room Tip: The rooms facing north have a view of the building's exhaust system (or some kind of fan systems...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel was formerly the Xcel Energy office building and it was repurposed into a modern Hilton hotel with two brands (Hampton Inn & Suites/Homewood Suites) under one roof. We look forward to your return trip to Denver and we will save your favorite room!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've stayed at previous HS before mainly in suburban areas. What I've come to expect are spacious rooms, two-story properties and great amenities. This particular location exceeded my expectations. Come to think of it, this is the type of property one would see in places like New York or a much more urban area.

The decor is ultra-modern (think clean lines, minimalist) but it works. Rooms are quite spacious for such a central location. There is plenty of seating in the lobby area as well as the breakfast area.

Had a smooth check in process. Pulled the car up and valet whisked it away, front desk gave me keys in less than five minutes. Afterwards, you can even text your valet ticket to a number and your car will be down there in 10-15 minutes; no having to wait around.

Special thanks goes to Devlin, bartender at the 550 Bar. He made our stay very memorable.

I'm very impressed with this property and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to snag a higher level room for great views of Denver.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louie M
Thank you for your review of our newly opened hotel. Our designer was New York trained so it was great that you noticed the influence in our design. I can't tell you how exciting it is when our guests let us know they look forward to their next visit. Please ask for me on your next visit so I can personally thank you for your business.
Sylacauga, Alabama
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is not the usual Homewood, it's much more. Yes it has free breakfast and week night free dinner and cocktails. Yes it has all suites. But, it has a full bar, a spacious and modern lobby, bell service, valet parking, and very good service. It's new and still has some rough edges with staff training, but they appear to be working on it. It's very close to the convention center and everything downtown. The potential for this place is great. I'll be back.

1 Thank dex49
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
The greatest compliment you can pay us is summed up in your three short words, "I'll be back". I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you as our guest again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Recently stayed at this property during a convention and was extremely pleased. Very modern design, clean lobby and common areas. I had a very good experience with the front desk. Even though checking in there was only one staff member available, Aubrey was very attentive and responsive to me even as she was dealing with another customer. I would highly recommend this property, especially for those doing business at the convention center.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks and I hope your experience will lead you back to Denver before the next convention. I shared your comments with Aubrey to recognize her committment to service to our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Boulder City, Nevada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I chose this property because I had the family along and like the kitchenette and couch when staying a few days. Although I have always had good experiences with Homewood properties, this one raised the bar.

In general, a hotel room is a hotel room. Not so in this case! I am generally indifferent to modern design because it feels cold and industrial, but this designer did an amazing job. The room's look was sleek yet inviting, and the walk -in doorless shower was very cool. The kitchen was fully appointed to the point I was able to cook a pasta dinner. Full -size fridge is always a plus.

However, what sets this hotel apart is service. Normally, you only notice when it is bad, but the staff here was so friendly and attentive that it was noteworthy. From the front desk to the housekeepers, everyone seemed genuinely happy in their jobs. Particularly impressive was the kitchen crew, which had the inenviable task of maintaining order with the breakfast crowd. I was merely impressed until I saw Stefan, a manager in the food Division, actually busing tables. This was unprecedented! At the same time, he noticed a family with two little ones, ran to the back, and brought them toy ducks. The kids were thrilled.

My experience is that this attitude flows from management. Kudos to the entire staff.

Room Tip: Only downside was the mattress. Pretty firm and somewhat, definitely not Westin quality
1 Thank JC D
I was excited to share your review with our team. Your comments support our initiative to make our guests our first priority. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a brand new property that is terrifically located for both the Convention Center and access to the 16th Street Mall. Anyone that has looked at hotel prices in downtown Denver has experienced sticker shock. No exception here. I was able, through negotiation directly with the management, to secure a room for (just) $40/night above the Government per diem. The quoted rate was $100 above the Government per diem. The rooms are very spacious, but the lighting is generally inadequate if you like lots of lumens. Bedding is typical for this class of hotel. Sheets are lower thread count, and hence scratchy, so if you're spoiled, at home or on the road, this may bug you. The suite-style room is nice, with the fridge, microwave, and adequate dishes/glass/etc for basic stays. Allows you to keep and reheat leftovers etc for short trips, or go crazy and furnish like a vacation condo for longer visits. A couple of things that bugged me- there never seemed to be anyone at the front desk, and during the busiest times, there seemed to be just one person. They actually allowed someone to check in as "me", even though I had provided a credit card to secure the room. Not good, as the guy checking in would not have been able to produce the correct credit card. In addition, the property was sold out, so I could have been "walked", even as a Hilton frequent-guest program member. There was a lucky cancellation, or I could have gotten hosed. To compound the irritation with the hotel checking someone in using my reservation, they sent someone to beat on my door the second night to see if I was actually occupying the room, with a flimsy "our system is messed up. Not sure if the room is occupied". Really? Pick up the phone, don't force me to get out of bed. The breakfast is included, and is definitely better than the Hampton/Fairmont class of continental breakfast. It's still a little lightweight. Food service manager was working hard, though. Kudos to the kitchen staff. Parking is valet-only, at $31/day. Apparently, Denver seeks to be another San Francisco when it comes to parking. Signage, such as for the meeting rooms, is pretty terrible. They definitely need to fix this, and quickly. This property should be a good option once they've smoothed out a few of the initial bumps. It's certainly going to be better than some of the other pretentious, shabby, overpriced junk in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow. Slow to arrive, slow to move, and apparently not staged at various floors (like...
1 Thank freqtraveler86
Thank you for sharing the "rough spots" during your stay. We strive for continuous improvement as the service we provide to our guests is our number one priority. I apologize for the issues that you experienced with the rooming issues. I will follow-up with our managment team to ensure that this situation is not repeated. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you as our guest again in the future.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is nice and new, the location is superb. The restaurant staff and the F&B manager (Stefan) are awesome. They will literally bend backward to make the guests happy. However there were things that bothered us, i.e. the front desk staff and housekeeping. They can use more training in hospitality. When we checked in, the male night staff returned my credit card by sliding it on the table, when I was not looking. Of course my card fell on the floor. Grocery cashiers have better manner than him. As for the housekeeping, we are 2 adults and 2 children. Everyday they gave us only 3 new bath towels - even when we didn't ask for towel change. But strangely they never replaced the kitchen towels. The last thing is the expensive valet parking. We only put our car in their garage from 8.30 pm to 10 am the next day (less than 14 hours) before moving it to next door garage (we prefer to have access to our car), but we were charged $62 nonetheless.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank globalamfamily
Tom S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your positive and constructive comments regarding your stay. We will identify the individual service opportunities that you shared to provide exceptional service throughout our hotel. The information in your review would indicate a discrepancy in parking charges. If this is still unresolved please contact me at 303 534 7800 ext. 4905. Thank you, Tom