“Good Mango Margueritas”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alcott
Description: La Loma began as a family-owned Mexican restaurant in a small brick house just a block away from what became our landmark location for over thirty years, on 26th Ave in Denver. The hilltop restaurant with a view of downtown soon became a Denver staple. Sonny and William, along with Savina Mendoza, created a menu of Tex-Mex and Mexican favorites that showcased the flavors of the Southwest, featuring award-winning dishes like our renowned green chili, signature margaritas, and fresh tortillas, which are made on display in the dining room. Now, La Loma has moved to the heart of downtown across from the historic Brown Palace. We offer the same menu and many of the decorative touches our loyal guests have loved for decades including exposed brick with wooden accents, large, stained glass windows, and the photo of Savina Mendoza. La Loma’s goal is to make wonderful food accessible to all of Denver and beyond. The Brinkerhoff family strives to maintain simply great food.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My cousins love this place and took me here for dinner. We had "medium" Margaritas, which were huge and tasty. All the cousins ordered green chili, so that's a sign that the regulars like it a lot. I found it to be a medium green salsa with ground pork. Tasty! Denver Mexican food is different from Tex Mex or Cal Mex. In Texas, there is a lot of rubbed bbq meat and cheese. In California and up the west coast, you can identify all the fresh ingredients in your burrito, starting with whole beans and fresh chunky salsa. Not so in Denver - it tends to be blended together into one tasty but unidentifiable object. If you order burrito supreme, fair warning - they bring you two of them! So come hungry, don't ask any questions about what you are getting and do order the green chili on the side. Oh, and in Denver, the green salsa is extra hot tomatilla-based, unlike the west coast.

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

This place seemed super busy when we drove up. And it was! We ended up waiting only about 20 to 25 minutes before we were seated at a table. While waiting we got drinks at the bar, and watched the lady make tortillas. It's kind of interesting, as they have a machine that does it where you can watch it.

The chips and salsa were great. After We ordered our meals they came quite quickly. That was a real surprise. Everything was very delicious.

I would return here anytime. Our meal for four adults was under $60 plus tip and tax.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friends all rave about this place, I think it's.....pretty good. I've been here about three times due to it's proximity from my office and I still don't think it's the best Mexican food I've ever had (and I've had A LOT) but it's not bad either. Located just a few blocks north of Mile-Hi Stadium, it's a little off the beaten path and may be a little tough for out-of-towners to find. I'd still recommend people who've never eaten here to give it a try!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The first time we went to La Loma was almost a month ago. It was a busy weekend night, so we tried to cut them some slack when the service was AWFUL. Their salsa and green chile were delicious and everyone in our party was happy with their meals. There were only a few small mistakes with the order that were not a big deal. But, we had to wait forever for drink refills, for the server to take our order and then for the food to be delivered.

My husband and I decided to give them another try tonight. After all, we were happy with their food last time, it was just the service that was lacking. We got there a little after 5pm and were seated almost immediately. It took about five minutes for chips and salsa delivered, but they never brought us water. It took our server 25 minutes to bring us our sodas. My husband and I were almost ready to walk out when we finally got drinks. Even though the server wrote our order down and repeated the order to us, she still got both of our orders wrong. My husband ordered shrimp fajitas (which are good anywhere) and got chicken instead. The only vegetables he got were onions and sliced jalapenos drenched in oil and the meat did not seem to be seasoned at all. When he pointed out the error to the gentleman serving our food, we were told that he would get a manager. Instead, they just brought out another entire plate of fajitas and squeezed them onto our already overflowing table and it was the same thing. Just onions in a disgusting amount of oil with shrimp that were overcooked and unseasoned. The manager never came. My quesadilla was soggy and bland. During this time I asked for water twice, which finally came about the same time as the check.

This place is always crowded and seems to have a loyal fan base, but if you are looking for good Mexican food we would recommend driving a little further down Federal. You can stop at a million restaurants on Federal that actually serve GOOD Mexican food and provide excellent service. We will never go back to La Loma.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have been going to La Loma for over twenty years and have had a wonderful experience each time that we have eaten there. Last night we showed up with a party of seven and were initially told that it might be up to a half an hour wait (it was already packed at 5 PM). About five minutes later they told us they had a table almost ready and could let us have it if we could be finished by 7:45 PM when the next reservation for the large group had reservations for that table. Needless to say, we jumped on that opportunity. The wait staff was courteous and helpful with our questions. Our food was tremendous, as usual, and all enjoyed their meals that evening. My wife and I both love their Chicken Chimichangas with green chile, try it, I bet you will enjoy it as much as we did.