“Food not bad, bathroom disgusting!”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Sushi was real small our entree was very good. But the womens room smells like an alley and was not very clean.

2  Thank Lizzard666

Reviewed May 4, 2009

This place was highly disappointing. I was hoping for some good food, maybe a steak and some sushi, and instead all I received was a nasty plate of food. The appetizer of "vegetable tempura" was worse than most cheap chinese take-out, and the filet was one of the worst steaks I've ever had. I didn't even bother sticking around to taste the sushi...I was much too afraid....Overall, do not go if you have any choice in the matter.

Reviewed December 11, 2008

When the BF and I like a place, we hammer it, and that's exactly how we felt -past tense- about Opal.

Sure it's sketchy looking, dirtier then I would like my food establishment to be, but we overlooked all the bad points since we liked the $1.95 Coronas, and the $20 Rib Eyes WERE -again past tense large, good quality, properly cooked steaks.

However, since their sister restaurant Aqua closed down this Summer, Opal's food has gone down, way, way down.
The service which has always been bad, has become dismal.
There is no Manager onsite, and it seems as though the staff hates the owner, either that or they hate working and get away with murder.

Each week it got worse, and worse.

The 1st week, we waited an hour for food, the server got the order wrong, and treated us like garbage.

The 2nd week, the portion was so small it was laughable. The only reason we didn't complain, is that it tasted so bad, we didn't want any more.

Last night was our 3rd, and last visit to the New Opal.
The BF ordered the rib eye, I went for fillet as the rib eye was inedible the previous time.
An hour later, our usual, and forever flustered and obnoxious server threw down hockey pucks.

Yes, we waited an hour for dried out past well done meat. Mind you, we were 1 of 2 tables and ordered our meat rare +, which is under medium rare.
Now everyone has an off night, but what happened next is why we will NEVER, EVER set foot inside this restaurant again.

We almost never send food back. In the almost 3 years I've been in Denver, I remember doing it 2 times.

We cut into the meat. Black and stringy -- so over cooked.
Hey Chris ( the worst "server" in Denver) this isn't rare + or even medium rare.
"So what do you want me to do about it" -- says he
With a flounce, and a huff and a puff he begrudgingly takes my plate to the chef...quote, unquote,

The BF is starving, and will eat the sole of his shoe if he has to, so he tells Chris although it sucks the big one, or small one in this case, he'll eat it.
According to our Chris, the aforementioned Chef refuses to cook another, or anything else for that matter.

What????

So I sat there sans food --- like a kid being punished.

How stupid is that. Treating regular customers who order several rounds of drinks ( my cab is $9 a glass, never discounted, even on HH), usually an appy, 2 entrees, and once in a while desert, and who tip between 20-25% like that.
We spent $100 a week here for months -- well, 3 strikes and you're out.

No wonder they're down to 2 tables for dinner -- I'm sure they're just getting rid of the food in the freezer, and whatever has been already ordered from Sysco --and will fire the few cooks they have left, and only keep the bar part open. If I was a betting Woman, I would say Opal will either close entirely after the Holidays, or at best, be a bar who doesn't serve food. Either way, go up the street to Dazzle, or head down to S Broadway, where all the restaurants are on an upswing--I'd stay away from this place until they get their act together, or more likely -- close down.

NEVER AGAIN