“Old-fashioned, Quirky, Classic, Cowboy Steakhouse” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buckhorn Exchange

Buckhorn Exchange
Ranked #43 of 2,974 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canton, Ohio
“Old-fashioned, Quirky, Classic, Cowboy Steakhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I visited here at 8pm on a Saturday with all foreigners, mostly German. Everyone was excited when we walked in the door and saw a bunch of animal heads all over the walls. It was a bit crowded, but we had reservations (that we made that afternoon for 7 people at 8pm), so it was ok.

We ate upstairs, in a nice area with lots of windows. The food options impressed us all. From rattlesnake to elk, it seems like they had a bit of everything. Since we were intensely curious and less so hungry, we ordered a bunch of dishes and shared them all:

Fried alligator: This was my least favorite. It just tasted like chewy fried calamari. Not much flavor.

Rattlesnake dip and chips: The rattlesnake was all on top of the dip, and it was kind of flaky in texture like fish.

Ostrich: This was kind of blackened with spices and had a brown sauce. It was a little chewy, but just OK. Seemed like a decent flavor.

Elk with Berry Sauce: The berry sauce was good, but the elk was a little like liver. It was a softer texture than I expected, and just a decent flavor.

Buffalo with Butter Sauce: This was great! Fabulous texture and flavor. I would eat this regularly if I had the chance.

Buffalo Bill Cocktail: Tastes almost like pure bourbon. I liked it.

The costs were very very high. A 4-oz elk and 4-oz buffalo special was $44. A 4-oz ostrich appetizer was $20ish.

I'm glad we went here once, but I spent $50 overall even though we shared. I don't think I'll be visiting again regularly.

The area is around the trains, and is not that great. Take a taxi, don't walk at night.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Hebrew first
Hingham, Massachusetts
“The essence of Denver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Tucked away in a historic building close to downtown and with a view of Mile High Stadium in the distance, the Buckhorn is not only creatively decorated with a museum-quality collection of stuffed and mounted wild animals (a zebra and a case of game birds were among the animals overlooking our table) but has a great menu stuffed with a selection of excellent meats ranging from elk to buffalo to old fashioned beef. I had the buffalo rib-eye, which was outstanding. Friends enjoyed their ribs and more traditional steak. You can't come to Denver and not eat here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Truly awful meat especially for a place that is supposed to specialize in game meats.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I decided to try something different for my birthday dinner this year and because of the bizarre foods episode I was excited to try something like wild boar or yak. First off they didn't have boar or yak. The one off menu thing they did have was a rattlesnake appetizer that cost 20 dollars. It sounded tasty and at least a little strange so we decided to try it. It came out in a cheese sauce that was luke warm at best and this was at 5:30 so it was hardly busy in there at all. Nevertheless, I was excited to try it but couldn't taste the rattlesnake at all because it was 95 percent cheese. We then received our bread which was rather good and the white bread was even fresh out of the oven. Unfortunately, we knew we had a lot of food coming so we decided to only have a piece each. We then had our bottle of wine brought out by our very friendly waitress but she butchered the foil and clearly had never been taught to poor wine before as she splattered some on me during her poor. The soups and salads were merely ok. Our waitress raved about the soup and it was something you might expect to get as a side from Quiznos. At this point we were all starting to worry a little bit about the quality of the food but nobody expected the meat to be the worst thing of the night. In our party we ordered a salmon filet, two types of buffalo, elk, and a special order of ostrich (which was a 20$ add on and the worst dish of the night). Of those things only the buffalo prime rib and one portion of the elk were cooked correctly. Our waitress was supposed to bring out the ostrich separately for everyone to try but it instead it made its way out on my plate and she couldn't identify it between it and the elk. We were able to figure it out though based on the texture of the meat. Both the elk and the ostrich came with a peppercorn crust (which is something I've had from other restaurants if not on ostrich) and was so overly peppered that the only reason anyone ate it was because they didn't want me to feel bad about the food on my birthday. The salmon filet which is out of season i will give them that was so over cooked that it turned out to be a hard crust over dry meat. The mashed potatoes though were a savings grace because they actually were quite good as were their house made chips. After a lack luster dinner I was ready to leave even though I had anticipated getting an order of cheesecake. Luckily though our waitress said that a dessert was on the house because it was my birthday. I got a piece of vanilla cheesecake that was ok and the rest of my family shared some Dutch apple pie which they said was really good. After receiving the bill we had the pleasure of forking out nearly a hundred dollars a person for a meal that was sub par in nearly every way. Even though its Denver's oldest restaurant I think it's time to call it quits.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RyanIrwin
St. Augustine FL
“Part of history with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stopped in for dinner with a few friends and we decided to share appetizers for dinner.

We had the Sirloin games tips, which were beef, buffalo, elk and mushrooms. The grilled duck in raspberry sauce and the rattlesnake with chips and dip. Best of all was the buffalo stew!

Overall the food was good, the service was good and the place is pretty cool.

While we did not stay long enough they also play music upstairs.

nashville
“Good resturant to your meat fix”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Buckhorn Exchange for lunch had the rocky mountain Oysters which were OK got cold fast then we had the lunch special both soups the Bean soup and the Buffalo tortilla soup were very good as was the ribs but the Brisket was dry and did not care for the sausage the spicey mustard was good and l could tolerate the sausage the staff very nice and service was good the resturant was cooly decorated you really got the Wild West feeling with all the animals on the wall still a wonderful experience