“Very Unique!”
Review of Buckhorn Exchange

Buckhorn Exchange
Reserve with OpenTable
Buckhorn Exchange is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 3,019 Restaurants in Denver
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Denver, Colorado
“Very Unique!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This restaurant sits in a bit of an odd location south of downtown surrounded by apartments. It is convenient to the train with a stop just across the street. The interior is so unique and interesting that we didn't mind the wait for a table. They do take reservations, but we didn't have one. The dining room appeared to be small, so reservations are probably a good idea for the usual busy nights eating out. The food is mostly game. This isn't usually my cup of tea, but it was pretty good. We had the rattlesnake starter which was not on the menu, so ask about it if you're interested to try it.

The service was friendly and unobtrusive. A singer, Roz Brown, was performing in the bar upstairs. He was excellent and made our wait pass very quickly. We were told he plays Wednesday through Saturday, and I highly recommend watching him perform.

• Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
Orlando, Florida
“great food old west charm”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I ate here when on business then had to bring the family to see it when on vacation. We all loved it. The game food is great my wife who is not a game food type of person even loved it. She said they cook it right here. We all had something different and all 3 meals were great. The first time here there was 5 of us and we all loved the food. A must see when in Denver.

• Visited August 2012
SoCal
“Gotta try it at least once!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were at a softball tournament in Denver last July and I had asked a friend who once lived in Denver to recommend a restaurant that was uniquely Colorado, something you could not get any place else. She recommended the Buckhorn and I'm glad she did.

Went there with two picky eater teenage softball players who ate every bite on their plates! I had the NY strip, which was good; but I am a steak snob and if it doesn't come from Morton's, Flemmings or the like then never mind. However, the rest of my dinner was great, well seasoned garlic mashed potatoes and the bean soup was good. I especially enjoyed a lovely aged bourbon that was unique to Colorado. In addition to a wine list there is a great bourbon list!

The kids had lamb chops (which were the best I've ever tasted) and ribs. Dessert was fantastic. We shared the warm apple pie a la mode with the rum sauce. I think the girls tried licking all the sauce off the plate!

We also enjoyed the historical aspect of the place and marveled that it was 119 years old.
We are going back to the same tournament this summer, and will most definitely be going back to the Buckhorn!

• Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful and interesting dishes, charming atmosphere”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a truly unique experience, like something right out of the late 1800s. The meats that they serve here are wonderful. I tried the elk and bison, and both were excellent! The atmosphere is very unique and old-school Denver with lots of taxidermy and old antiques. We did not order cocktails or appetizers and we were able to eat here for a fairly reasonable price. I think that you do not necessarily have to spend a fortune to eat here. I ate here back in 1996 with my family and it is just as I remember. It will never change, and that is a good thing. The only drawbacks that I noticed were that it was located in a fairly seedy area (at least it seemed that way to an out-of-towner), and the waitress was rather non-attentive to us, which lessened the experience a bit. However I would surely eat here again, definitely worth it. But make sure to make a reservation if you are going to eat there on a weekend.

• Visited December 2012
Red Bluff, California
“Life time treat!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I saw this place on Man vs Food. Booked a table 4 months in advance. I was in Denver for a Art show. The night we went I started getting sick. Felt awful. But I ordered the Pot Roast. The few bits I had were wonderful! Everyone in our party had wonderful food and a great time. The waitress and bartender we encountered were also wonderful people. Loved it. I am still upset that I felt si bad Saturday night. But at least I got to ho there.